• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I don't like the lockdown timer.

Graphic

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Nevada
Bad idea IMO. It robs us of the opportunity to have drawn-out, epic stalemates like in RO1. It also makes reinforcements in TE pretty much a meaningless number. The penalty for taking too long to capture one objective should be the loss of precious reinforcement points. But right now lockdown will always come first. You'd still have the short match timer cheapining the importance of reinforcements, but removing lockdown would help.

At the very least, you should change it so that if you capture one objective in a phase of the map that has two objective areas, the lockdown timer resets.

Is there a way for server admins to disable the lockdown timer? If so, I encourage server admins to do so. And double the match timer, if not remove it all together, making reinforcements the "timer."

With a few config edits this game can be just as epic as RO1 at its best, or more.

Last edited:
No one likes the lock down timer. Don't someone post and try and prove me wrong with some lie, you hate it.

Thank you for making decisions for me. Pray tell, what should I cook for dinner, as apparently you are all-knowing?

In some situations, I think the lock-down timer works quite well, as it forces people to actually try to capture objectives, rather than the majority of the team sniping off opponents. Don't get me wrong, I know covering-fire can be both useful and fun, however when 7 out of 12 players are sitting in a building, a kick in the backside is what is desperately needed.

Upvote 0
Yes lockdown is very annoying, on some of the maps its not such an issue but on a few, commissar house for example on allies side, it comes in so early that youve hardly had a chance to organise your team and get some momentum built up before it becomes a mad rush to cap each objective before you lose due to lockdown.

Upvote 0
Thank you for making decisions for me. Pray tell, what should I cook for dinner, as apparently you are all-knowing?

In some situations, I think the lock-down timer works quite well, as it forces people to actually try to capture objectives, rather than the majority of the team sniping off opponents. Don't get me wrong, I know covering-fire can be both useful and fun, however when 7 out of 12 players are sitting in a building, a kick in the backside is what is desperately needed.

Mostly I've just seen it forcing me to yell at my team more often because they are ignoring the objectives and there's only one minute left til lock down. But I'll agree that it does sometimes actually work. Just not more often than it doesn't.

Upvote 0
On paper Lockdown isn't an inherently bad idea, but its current implementation ranges between being very occasionally useful to almost always deeply annoying.

Lockdown forces us into a short attention span mentality which in turn promotes run-and-gun gameplay - something that TWI appeared to be keen to distance themselves from at one point. One of the greatest and most enduring aspects of RO was when battles turned into a grinding struggle for - every - single - inch - of ground; truly epic stuff. Such a glorious thing is now completely absent from RO2 due to this immersion-breaking Lockdown implementation.

As I said above, on paper it's not a bad idea in principle: that principle being a mechanic to encourage pushing rather than endless camping. Rather than imposing arbitrary and illogical time limits perhaps some sort of mechanic that affects reinforcement numbers could be employed instead, with clear warnings on screen that reinforcements are being adversely affected by the stalemate. Such a message would be enough to motivate Squad Leaders to start pushing or face an imminent counter-attack with superior numbers. (Being overrun by a larger force surely has to be better from a gameplay position rather than simply ending the game dead right there and then because a senseless countdown timer expired somewhere.)

I do wonder who Lockdown is meant to be pleasing because it's abundantly clear that it is being met with almost universal rejection in its current form.

Reactions: Fiennes
Upvote 0
In some situations, I think the lock-down timer works quite well, as it forces people to actually try to capture objectives, rather than the majority of the team sniping off opponents.

In theory, perhaps. In practice the UI element telling you how much time is left is totally obscure. I've never not been taken by surprise by the lockdown timer expiring.

It needs to be bigger on-screen and to have associated voice messages as it counts down.

Reactions: TWB*JimMiller
Upvote 0