• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I bloody hope the next update will focus on performance

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    Honestly it's getting difficult to play the game when the server hasn't yet filled up in the lobby, as whoever decides to join the game mid wave just freezes the game for a solid few seconds.... And if you end up near a group of zeds, you're 90% dead.

Also to mention consecutive season where the game suffers from the old escape from tarkov issue of freeze/stutter on 1st action/spawn everything.
    trying to use voip 1st time solidly freezes the game for 5+ seconds.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Aze
    The team is not working on any major performance issues at this time. What you are experiencing sounds like a dynamic load issue, which you may experience more depending on how much RAM your system has. The game attempts to load all the resources/content it can into active memory on launch (hence the longish load times. The slower the cpu and more ram you have the longer this takes.

When something that isn't loaded into active memory is needed and spawned into the word, the game needs to pull it into active ram, this cause the hitch you are describing.

Upvote 0
    It's disappointing to hear nothing is being done about this particular issue. Especially since it has been prevalent for a number of years. My computer specs are: i7-6700k, 16gb (3200mhz) RAM, 2080 TI. I average 200fps at 4k resolution with ultra settings on steam fortress (shadows & real time reflections low/off.)

I just tested on a fresh install of windows 10, latest graphics drivers and nothing installed other than steam and my antivirus. Yet I still get the aforementioned stuttering/hitching. I had a friend with a newer computer test with specs: i9 9900k, 32gb RAM, and 2080. Same issue, gets hitching on the first headshot, first siren kill, etc. So I highly doubt that there is a consumer-grade computer available that can play kf2 without noticing this issue to some degree.

Upvote 0
    I think the primary suspect of the game's performance is Unreal Engine 3.

Keep in mind that KF2's engine was made publicly available in 2006 with the release of Gears of War on the Xbox 360 and while Tripwire did a good job hiding its age during Early Access and release, I think we're at the point where KF2 is asking UE3 to handle a much bigger load than what Epic Games had intended, which in turn highlights just how old the engine is.

To better put things into perspective, the Steam version of KF1 actually released in 2009, three years after the release of KF2's engine.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    We test the game multiple times a week on a variety of PC's as well as the console hardware here in the office and currently do not see any major hitching/perf issues running stock gameplay. I've asked the QA team to see if they can replicate the particular case that has been mentioned here.

Upvote 0
    Yoshiro;n2333426 said:
    We test the game multiple times a week on a variety of PC's as well as the console hardware here in the office and currently do not see any major hitching/perf issues running stock gameplay. I've asked the QA team to see if they can replicate the particular case that has been mentioned here.

There are also some optimisation that can be made to 3 maps, 2 of which delta69er helped to find what causes fps dips.
    https://forums.tripwireinteractive....und-fps-drops-in-certain-points-and-no-crates

The Zed landing on the other hand, he couldn't find anything but the whole right side of the jungle for me just dips to ~48 fps and introduces micro stutters.
    (yes ik my rig is outdated by +5 years, but it can run other maps just fine at over 60 fps just fine... Except for those 3 in specific places and the main area of Burning Paris, it feels heavy)

Upvote 0