• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server How to run multiple dedicated servers on one computer?

okungnyo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
I know how to open a dedicated server, but I know to only open ONE. (I'm running Windows 8.1.)

I have a friend who can open MULTIPLE dedicated servers...but he won't tell me how!

For example, he has:
  • Bob's Beginner Server #1
  • Bob's Normal Server #1
  • Bob's Normal Server #2
  • Bob's Hard Server #1
  • Bob's Hard Server #2
  • Bob's Hard Server #3
  • ...and so on, all on one computer

I Googled it, and a section in the wiki about it, but I have no idea what it's saying!

Can anyone give simpler instructions??

Please help!

Last edited:
You just need to choose different ports.

[...]

So I think I've got it, but I'm still confused. I've come across 2 methods:

Method 1:
  1. I download a new copy of the KF Dedicated Server files from Steam to another folder (kf-ds-2)
  2. I edit the ports in KillingFloor.ini (in the 2nd folder) by +2 like this:
    Port=7707 --> Port=7709
    [IpDrv.UdpGamespyQuery]
    OldQueryPortNumber=7717 --> OldQueryPortNumber=7719
    [UWeb.WebServer]
    ListenPort=8075 --> ListenPort=8077
  3. Done? Can I really just add +2 to those values, and it will work?

Method 2:
  1. I don't download a 2nd copy of the dedicated server files
  2. Instead, I just duplicate KillingFloor.ini to KillingFloor2.ini
  3. I edit the ports in KillingFloor2.ini like above
  4. Done?

Which method is correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First method.
I download a new copy of the KF Dedicated Server files from Steam to another folder (kf-ds-2)
Assuming that you're following these instructions for installing a dedicated server, - yes. And you can just copy files that you've already downloaded into a new folder.
Done? Can I really just add +2 to everything and it'll work?
Well, if you have firewall/router then you obviously gonna need to open/forward more ports. And I forgot to mention that you must launch each server as a different user (Shift-right click on a bat file > 'Run as different user').

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First method.

Assuming that you're following these instructions for installing a dedicated server, - yes. And you can just copy files that you've already downloaded into a new folder.

Well, if you have firewall/router then you obviously gonna need to open/forward more ports. And I forgot to mention that you must launch each server as a different user (Shift-right click on a bat file > 'Run as different user').

Oh! I don't have to re-download? I can just copy-and-paste using Windows Explorer?

I don't get the part about launching as a different user? Why do I need to, and how do I do it?

Upvote 0
Oh! I don't have to re-download? I can just copy-and-paste using Windows Explorer?
That's how I did it and it didn't cause me any troubles, so yes.

I don't get the part about launching as a different user? Why do I need to, and how do I do it?
I created a different user for my dedicated server because game wouldn't start otherwise, complaining that it is already running. After that I thought that for more servers I needed more user accounts (now it seems silly). But I did a test just now and servers are running fine from the same account. Sorry for earlier misinformation, - you don't actually need this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's how I did it and it didn't cause me any troubles, so yes.

I created a different user for my dedicated server because game wouldn't start otherwise, complaining that it is already running. After that I thought that for more servers I needed more user accounts (now it seems silly). But I did a test just now and it seems that you can run all the servers as the same user account without problems. Sorry for earlier misinformation, - seems like you don't actually need this.

Oh OK, so I will forget the "different user" part.

But thank you for all the other bits of advice!

Oh, and does your country tag still show up as [???] if you have the server running from Computer#1, but are playing form Computer#2 (both computers being on the same Wi-Fi connection)?

Upvote 0
The reason why you're country tags aren't working is because it's reading your local IP address which isn't in the IP database that the mod pulls from. You'll need to add your IP subnet to that database manually on your computer for the Country you are in.

Your local IP is most likely something beginning with 192.168

As for running multiple servers. You can run them all from the same installation as long as your start up line/command has a different INI for each server.

Upvote 0
The reason why you're country tags aren't working is because it's reading your local IP address which isn't in the IP database that the mod pulls from. You'll need to add your IP subnet to that database manually on your computer for the Country you are in.

Your local IP is most likely something beginning with 192.168

As for running multiple servers. You can run them all from the same installation as long as your start up line/command has a different INI for each server.

Wow, thanks for the details!

What is my IP subnet? What database?? (The 'KFCtryTags.ini' file?) How do I add it manually??

So I just duplicate 'KillingFloor.ini" to "KillingFloor2.ini" and change the ports by +2?

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Wow, thanks for the details!

What is my IP subnet? What database?? (The 'KFCtryTags.ini' file?) How do I add it manually??

So I just duplicate 'KillingFloor.ini" to "KillingFloor2.ini" and change the ports by +2?

Thanks a lot!

I do not know what IP your LAN is using. So you tell me. Open a command prompt. In Windows 7 type cmd in the search box (you can do that in nearly all versions of Windows. Older versions call it "run" instead of "search though.) Then type ipconfig. Now look for IPv4Address and copy it here. It should, in most cases, begin with 192.168.

I need to download the country flags mod to see where it is pulling the addresses from. I've never used it on my servers. Do you have a download link I can use real quick? Pretty sure it keeps the IP database stored locally on the server instead of pulling the data remotely.

You will duplicate the KillingFloor.ini file to whatever name you want and you need to change the ports, +2 is fine but only on some of the ports. I tend to change them by the 100. For example:

KillingFloor.ini said:
[B]Port=7707[/B] [Engine.GameRepl...rtup line as well. Might want to Google them.

Upvote 0
I do not know what IP your LAN is using. So you tell me. Open a command prompt. In Windows 7 type cmd in the search box (you can do that in nearly all versions of Windows. Older versions call it "run" instead of "search though.) Then type ipconfig. Now look for IPv4Address and copy it here. It should, in most cases, begin with 192.168.

I need to download the country flags mod to see where it is pulling the addresses from. I've never used it on my servers. Do you have a download link I can use real quick? Pretty sure it keeps the IP database stored locally on the server instead of pulling the data remotely.

You will duplicate the KillingFloor.ini file to whatever name you want and you need to change the ports, +2 is fine but only on some of the ports. I tend to change them by the 100. For example:

If I was running two servers under the same install those are the two changes I would make. Assuming they're identical servers. Otherwise you'll want to change things like difficulty, map list, mods, mutators and other settings on whichever INI you want the changes on.

Additionally, you'll need to open those ports on your router/firewall.

You will also need to specify the INI in the startup command line.

For server #1:
ucc server KF-bioticslab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6 ini=KillingFloor.ini

For server #2
ucc serverKF-bioticslab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6 ini=ADifferentServer.ini

There are other parameters you can enter into the startup line as well. Might want to Google them.

Wow thanks!

Here is the link to the 'Country Tags' mutator: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75147

My IPv4 address is, as you say: 192.168.xx.xx

More questions.

Why did you change "Port" and "OldQueryPortNumber" by 100, but increase "ListenPort" by only 1? Is it OK because those values have no relations to each other? So, for example, If I wanted to, I could change "Port" by 70, "OldQueryPortNumber" by 80, and "ListenPort" by 90?

Also, why did you reduce "Port" and "OldQueryPortNumber", but increase "ListenPort"?

Is the "ServerName=Server #1" value the public name that will appear in the Internet server list for all players?

So I would need to duplicate the .ini and .bat file that starts the server too, then, right?

Upvote 0
Looks like the use a web site to pull the IP database. What does your country tags INI look like? Post it here.

The Port= and OldQueryPortNumber= are related to one another. One is the port the client connects though in the game and the other is the port that sends heatbeats to the client's server browser about what map is running, how many players, etc...

The QueryPort is hard coded into the engine to be the Port + 10. No matter what it's always that port. So if the game port is (Port=) is 7707 then the QueryPort is 7717. If you change the game port (Port=) then you need to change the OldQueryPortNumber= to whatever the Port= + 10. Otherwise the server will just crash.

The ListenPort=8076 is the web admin port. Doesn't matter how many increments you go as everyone will connect on that port and that port only. So increasing it by one will be fine. You can decrease it by one also. I just always increase by one for each server I add to make it easier to remember what server is on what port.

Yes the ServerName is what they seee in the server browser.

Yes you'll need a seperate INI and BAT file for each server, although you could use the same BAT file to start all the servers at once. Just create a new line for each server you want started in the BAT file or just create a new BAT file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like the use a web site to pull the IP database. What does your country tags INI look like? Post it here.

The Port= and OldQueryPortNumber= are related to one another. One is the port the client connects though in the game and the other is the port that sends heatbeats to the client's server browser about what map is running, how many players, etc...

The QueryPort is hard coded into the engine to be the Port + 10. No matter what it's always that port. So if the game port is (Port=) is 7707 then the QueryPort is 7717. If you change the game port (Port=) then you need to change the OldQueryPortNumber= to whatever the Port= + 10. Otherwise the server will just crash.

The ListenPort=8076 is the web admin port. Doesn't matter how many increments you go as everyone will connect on that port and that port only. So increasing it by one will be fine. You can decrease it by one also. I just always increase by one for each server I add to make it easier to remember what server is on what port.

Yes the ServerName is what they seee in the server browser.

Yes you'll need a seperate INI and BAT file for each server, although you could use the same BAT file to start all the servers at once. Just create a new line for each server you want started in the BAT file or just create a new BAT file.

Thank you, literally all my confusion just disappeared! :D

My "KFCtryTags.ini" file is unchanged from default:

[KFCtryTags.CtryTags]
CountryTagParsing=[%tag] %name
HostLanIpAddr=128.0.0.1
HostWanIpAddr=1.1.1.1

Upvote 0
Try changing HostLanIpAddr=128.0.0.1 to your LAN IP address.
Then change HostWanIpAddr=1.1.1.1 to your public IP address.

OK! Thanks!

And I have one more question that's a bit off-topic.

With this mutator, is it possible to do this (for example)?:

When you click [Gametype 1] from the drop down and vote-change the map:
  • it will switch the difficulty to HoE
  • the vote map list will ONLY default maps
  • the "Poundamonium!" (only Fleshpounds appear) mutator will activate

When you click [Gametype 2] from the drop down, on the other hand:
  • it will switch the difficulty to Suicidal
  • the vote map list will contain default AND custom maps
  • "Poundamonium!" will NOT activate, and "Five Alarm Siren" (only Sirens appear) will activate

And so on...

Upvote 0
The prefix in the map name.

For example:
KF- is a prefix.
KFO- is a prefix.

I do not see the ability to change/modify a map list based on the game mode voted. It might be possible, I'm just not seeing it. Again I've never used it. I'd suggest you giving it a try and/or posting in that thread or possibly just reading the thread. You should get your answer then.

Upvote 0