• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How to make your first Red Orchestra 2 Map

A note on terrain. When you add your terrain and you want to use trenches in your map it might be usefull
to add the values TWI use in there maps with trenches. These are the values you will find in the terrain properties.

This will help you to fit the trenches in your terrain. It might be better to think about this in
an early stage as to find it stuff wont fit and then redo your terrain aint funny.

Mamayev

mamayev.jpg

Baraska

baraska.jpg

Upvote 0
I'll echo Drecks on this and add that if you plan on having any "under ground" sections, such as a basement, you'll want to pre-plan the placement and size of your building so that you can use the "hide sections" tool in the terrain editor to create hole in you terrain that will accommodate your basement area. Keep in mind that your building will need to fit almost perfectly within the grid squares.

Upvote 0
I just came across this, Many thanks from me as well, I've been learning the SDk for a few months now.... Most of that time spent learning the basics of terrain,building stuff etc.. The only thing holding me back was the spawning and kismet stuff, This helped me understand it much better and got me on track. Still have a bit more to go but i'm looking forward to making a map soon. Thanks again !

Upvote 0
I just came across this, Many thanks from me as well, I've been learning the SDk for a few months now.... Most of that time spent learning the basics of terrain,building stuff etc.. The only thing holding me back was the spawning and kismet stuff, This helped me understand it much better and got me on track. Still have a bit more to go but i'm looking forward to making a map soon. Thanks again !

The best thing for me was to just start creating my first map and learned the SDK during the work. It`s hard and takes a bit longer and you`ll do some faults but it`s more fun than just watching this big amount of tutorials(thanks to Danh) and start after it. Cause you`ll forget something and have to go back to the tutorials. ANd a tip from me at the end: I would create 2 maps. One is your map you want to finish and one small to test all the new stuff before using it on your actual map. This will help you to do not that much faults who really hurt.

Upvote 0
Select the material you want in the content browser, go back into the terrain editor, right click below the height map bar and click "New terrain setup layer from material (autocreate)", wait a second and this should paint on your first layer everywhere. For the second layer do the same thing but then click the paint tool in the terrain editor and hold control key down and left click to paint this new layer on top of the base layer. There should be a small delay when you first paint any layer.

Upvote 0
i have been mapping so far with the (very appreciated) help of two people here, Catalavos and Spaehling, but when testing out my map for the first time in game, i did not spawn, Catalavos looked over my Kismet and how it's being put down in the Tutorial it won't work, instead of Connecting Level Reset to Disable, it should go to one of your spawns! this is only for my map with only one spawn zone for allies and axis.

Upvote 0
i have been mapping so far with the (very appreciated) help of two people here, Catalavos and Spaehling, but when testing out my map for the first time in game, i did not spawn, Catalavos looked over my Kismet and how it's being put down in the Tutorial it won't work, instead of Connecting Level Reset to Disable, it should go to one of your spawns! this is only for my map with only one spawn zone for allies and axis.
Yeah, I will agree. That is weird I wonder why he has it like that.
here it is setup how you most likely have it nightfire. Also if you look at tripwire's tutorial maps they have it set up like this.

*update I read why he has it like that, which makes me bring up another question of why not disable objectives at the start of a round?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The tutorial is just a way to understand the basics, you will have so much not explained in the tutorial that you will have to try out things a lot.

I think the tutorial makes you disable spawn because this is what you should do on beginning of second round, aka level reset, you must disable all your spawns, then activate the first spawns, then your spawn sequence you configured in the map will work as intended. Same goes for objectives, you must disable all of them then activate the first ones, and so on. Just what I understand i did not study the tutorial too much as it came after I learned myself with the help of Spaehling :p

Upvote 0