• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How the best commander commands

TRUM9

Feb 13, 2019
I am God Emperor Trump. If you play on the 508, 29th, or Chicago servers, you know me as that vc ambush commander. I have been called an "ambushing commander." If you are a rusher, VC commanding is right for you.

Sometimes people say, "hey why is our commander the only one on site?" Then I hear enemies saying, "we are about to get ambushed." Then I ambush and rush out killing as many as I can screaming, "FIGHT THEY KNOW I AMBUSHED." Good times man.

Tip #1. Be aware of where your radio man is in case you have to call in AA for a spooky. Personally I don't really like being around a radioman, because I am a rusher on offense and most radiomen are not used to their commander running out there and when they do follow they draw attention and don't shoot back (making them more of a liability). I learned that if your radio is bugged and not letting you arty, that the first thing to do is clear all marks, pull out the binos and get a fast/lazy (ah screw it) arty mark and see if that works. If radio is still bugged, clear marks, go rush and die, ideally all the way to enemy territory firing till the game won't let you fire causing you to die, should work after that.

Tip#2. Ambushing is more important than recon. When I do recon for the full duration it is because I found a sniper rifle, rpg, or grenade launcher and was firing away (you can move like 5 meters away from the radio and still get intel). Recon is useful after capping an objective to find stragglers who are spawn killing your team, you should kill them for your team. Your first arty in the game, you should call it before recon. Why? Because calling recon takes 10 seconds, then you have to wait for it to fly around, then you adjust your mark to be maybe slightly better... this process can take a minute, when arty is 4 minutes, so you lost 25% of an arty right there. If you just aim behind an objective and fire away (or anywhere your team isn't if defending)... you will get kills. Trust me, you will get kills.

You don't have to wait the full duration of recon before moving out. Once all the targets appeared, tell the rpgs what buildings enemies are, call out unusual dots outside of the objective if attacking or inside if defending, call out where you think the enemy is that has the most kills on enemy team (things they need to know so they don't have to obstruct their vision with a map). Once I see what I need to see, I am gone, I move out. You can take a bio break, sip some water, crack open a beer, vape nation, or whatever instead of moving out. If you think your opponent is going to spooky soon, good time to recon to keep yourself busy while you wait (enemy commander will know you are at a radio and may try to fake you).

Tip #3 HAVE A NEED FOR SPEED. Get good with your pistol and all the guns available to commanders. You run faster without a primary gun, this can be useful sometimes. VC commanding is for rushers. Remember to FKA, flanking, killing, and ambushing.

Tip #4 Get familiar with USA timers by learning USA commander first. The best way to know the timers of USA on each map is to play USA. Before you learn VC commanding, learn USA commanding, it is far easier. Knowing stuff like AC-47 is a 4 minute cooldown on Firebase is good to know. etc etc. Because when you are VC you will need to keep timers on their Napalm early war, AC-47 mid-late, and knowing when his arty is up is also useful.

Why so important to learn timers? Because if you know he has arty, you get more dead bodies to ambush, so you can turn USA arty into your advantage.

Tip #5 Your first spawn. Rush. For example on Cuchi try to get into the police station any way you can, sometimes you got to kill 1 or 2 guys sometimes 7, half the time I die, which is okay, just recon/arty/hochimin then try another ambush spot. Quang tri you can go left of the site or in back and hide somewhere, then 2 minutes later you ambush, boom easy A. As USA you have nothing to call anyway so just try to kill as many as you can, be very aggressive with your first life.

Tip #6 Get familiar with arty / mortar radius. Small maps like long tan, if you arty say the top center back part of the A box right on the blue line, that arty will hit the entire site, so any guys you get on there will be team killed. So go deeper. Just remember the thing about spawn artys or arties behind the objective is that they are only effective if your team is actually killing enemies and making them respawn, so keep that in mind.

Tip #7 If enemy has arty up, get ready to ambush where he is not going to arty. "BUT GOD EMPEROR TRUMP HOW WILL I KNOW WHERE HE WILL ARTY?" Easy, look at the map. See where your entire team is? That is where he will arty. So ambush them on the opposite flank when the arty comes or onto the objective.

Tip #8 If you are calling in an arty and your team capped already just suicide before it gets called in so you keep your arty. Sometimes I hear spooky and get to radio, call in aa and realize a second or two later it is a fake... in which case I just suicide. Most of the time I am somewhere on a cap so I am not near a radio, which is perfect, more dead bodies = bigger ambush. That is what you really want. Maintain radio silence, hide, and wait (if you know he has arty up, you won't be waiting for long, trust me).

Tip #9 Make your hotkeys easy. I like mousewheel up / down to melee, because the left hand is on movement. Swapping guns fast is important, because pulling out your pistol is faster than reloading, which is going to happen often. Make changes and get used to it.

Tip #10 SILENCE IS GOLDEN. Talking is very bad. For example say you are hiding somewhere to do an ambush, say quang tri you snuck in somewhere, DON'T TALK, THEY CAN HEAR YOU AND THEY KILL YOU MAN! If you are USA, DON'T SAY YOU ARE FAKING A SPOOK, they will hear you man! After you ambushed, DON'T TALK, THE PLAYERS WHO SPAWNED KNOW THEY ARE AMBUSHED BECAUSE THEY APPEARED SUDDENLY, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO LET THE ENEMIES AROUND THE CORNER KNOW ABOUT IT.

Okay that sums it up. When radiomen start spawning on commanders (upcoming change). Make sure they get away from you as soon as possible, they should treat you like a squad leader, run out there and attack. You only need them for AA. They might not understand this at first, because it is a non meta way of using a radioman. Understand that radiomen get good guns usually, mp40 early war is awesome, one of the best mid range guns there is, 30 accurate rounds of full auto goodness and close quarters against bolt action, you can clean house. Don't hold them back, let em go to town.

I have had to learn many things the hard way and I used to lose often when I first started out. USA is typically the team that gets stacked with better players so playing VC is usually an uphill battle. That is why I recommend newer players to learn USA first, because the guns are easier to use, everything is easier for USA. Rapid deployment is far easier to use than ambushing. Ambushing requires you to fight your way to the objective or at the least close enough to be flanking.

Remember FKA. Flanking, killing, and ambushing. Eventually you will get familiar with the maps, all the best angles people like to hold to cover certain areas (and how to dip in / out of cover so you don't get shot by those guys or to pull out the AK or SMG and kill the guy covering the area you want to rush through and ambush.

Learn how to use the AK in a practice range, it helps. The top of the circle is where the bullets go and the gun rises as you shoot, so if you have it full auto and you are burst firing, the bullets tend to rise up as you fire so your spread goes up. The easiest way to use the ak is to aim for the nuts or feet. I have been coming around to the AK lately. I used to like the m1 when I was not as aggressive. When I first started out I died often rushing, didn't know diddly squat, and just died a ton trying to learn the maps, that is typical for new players who are rushers. Rushing is more about pathing. Pathing in games refers to the route you take. You want to avoid being spotted by the enemy ideally. Next best option is pathing so that you have a fair fight if you do encounter anyone.

Sometimes you ambush 8 guys on the roof of the police station in cuchi and then they all run downstairs and die... instead of guarding the stairs or shooting down at enemies. If your team doesn't know what to do when they are ambushed, you might have to explain it to them.

Last edited:
Reserved for future updates.

On supremacy. Ambushing is critical for the VC to win. VC are at a disadvantage on most maps, songbe is the fair fight, everywhere else the maps are just not in the VC favor. Hue City, I like to ambush A. C / E is sometimes required (just to get slers over there to get better tunnels or to cap those). AnLao Valley, Try to go for F, you might have to run all the way around the map the long way (this is 2:30 seconds of straight sprinting with pistol out if you are going the extra safe way, 1:45 if enemy pilots suck and enemies don't look around as they run past F/E to D. Once you cap F, you can use that radio, I like to call AA and find a spot to hide. Forrest is all about H, ambush that all day, so many hiding spots inside and outside objective, there are 2 main ones that like inside objective, I went entire games without anyone seeing me and ambushing there every 2 minutes. Radio silence is a must when doing sneaky ambushes. Quang tri, GL HF, Suggest B or A ambushes, those are easy to hold positions once you get guys in it.

Generally speaking, newer players should play USA first. Everything is easier on USA.

Attachments

• photo20365.png
    photo20365.png
    191 KB · Views: 1
  • photo20366.png
    photo20366.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo20369.png
    photo20369.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo20370.png
    photo20370.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will post screen shots of various positions for every map. I will show you different lanes that are easy for you to attack for an ambush, lanes that if guarded you can fight your way through for an ambush. This is a very long VC commander guide in progress. Many of my opponents already know what I like to do (they been ambushed by me many times or have seen me do ambushes).

VC commanding is all about knowing the map. Having a mix of aggressive and sneaky is paramount. Once I see what I need to know with a recon (avenues unguarded or if a position is being guarded... exactly where to aim as you turn a corner etc) I rush out and fight. Calling out enemy locations by team talk is also useful, a sniper or rpg could blast that one guy keeping you from ambushing for you so you get in and ambush.

Last edited:
Upvote 0