• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you know when there is a hacker or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stukadriver

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
Maine
So...I am a regular player. I follow all the rules and have no idea of how to hack or speed whatever or cheat in the game. But a few times lately, there have been on or two players who seem to be able to shoot through two or three walls...immense distances...through sandbags, etc. This ruins the game for me. How do you alert the poo-bahs as to this when it happens?

Depends.

What game mode are you playing? If you are playing classic/realism then it's going to be very hard to tell sometimes. I usually just put it down to myself having a limb sticking out and that I wasn't cautious enough with my positioning.

First thing is knowing where they shot you from, that can give you an idea. But I have been killed through plenty of walls and sandbags when my head wasn't completely beneath the covers edge.

This sort of thing happens, something that a lot of us get use to. I don't think I've ever had problems with hackers of that sort, but usually hackers are blatantly obvious and run around rambo'ing with a hip firing machine gun and pinging everyone as soon as they appear.

This game has a lot of things wrong with it at the moment, but hackers, I'm happy to say, is not one of them IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So...I am a regular player. I follow all the rules and have no idea of how to hack or speed whatever or cheat in the game. But a few times lately, there have been on or two players who seem to be able to shoot through two or three walls...immense distances...through sandbags, etc. This ruins the game for me. How do you alert the poo-bahs as to this when it happens?

I'm not sure what kind of material they were shooting through but certain walls can be penetrated by rifle caliber bullets and AT bullets, some can be penetrated by all bullets. The whole system is a little shaky so you can never really know what exactly u can or can't shoot through.

About the long distance shots, there are people that just put the hours to get their aim and tactical awareness up to a very good level. Even back in OStfront with the much more severe sway and recoil, a lot of people could make consistent accurate shots with bolts out to some pretty great distances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think I've ever had problems with hackers of that sort, but usually hackers are blatantly obvious and run around rambo'ing with a hip firing machine gun and pinging everyone as soon as they appear.

This is largely done by people that only wish to grief. One of the most easily concealed hacks is a wall hack. If someone aims at people through solid objects even though the player had no way to know or see that the enemy was there then obviously it's easy to tell that the person is hacking. If they don't do that, it's very difficult to tell if someone is wall hacking. A player may simply be familiar with the map and checks all the popular camping spots or it might be a wall hacker who knows where everyone is hiding. At long ranges it may be someone who saw you hide behind cover, or again it may be a wall hacker.

Upvote 0
Generally, if you have to ask, then they weren't hacking. Nobody's going to potentially burn a Steam account and $5+ on just a little griefing for a niche game.

As for shooting through walls, expect it if you're in a common area. If there's nothing better to do at the time, I tend to plink all the usual spots I can reach with just completely blind fire, and usually net kills from it. The Spartanovka town hall is a great one.

As for sandbags, don't trust them if they're next to anything else. The stock penetration system uses only the hardness of the material on the initial impact spot. If you've got sandbags against the inside wall of a plaster building, then they're basically worthless, because shots from outside go through the whole affair as if it were all plaster.

Upvote 0
For the most part most of the guys you think are cheating are just skilled and in good position.Wall hacks are tough to spot but,most is people backed up against a wall and is clipping through the wall.Or from behind not knowing where the shot was from.Many times I will shoot through walls/smoke on known enemy positions rarely getting lucky. Sometimes your just that guy

Aim bots is easier you will see snap type aiming and lots of head shots most of the time out rambo'ing like crazy.This game is not very rewarding for hackers with a smaller community to hide in.Along with VAC and its wonderful justice.Its just not worth it .... or short lived

Played since Beta only spotted 2 hackers that I know was cheating it was painfully obvious.

Upvote 0
You can see who is using one special cheat program.

If this guy plays the german side look on his back. He has a red wound under the left shoulder. If he`s playing the Russian side, he has this red wound on his right thigh. But you have to look precise to find this wound on his thigh when he plays russia. On the german side it`s more easier to see this wound.

We had some guys in our clan they told me they`re the best and were always suck up to everybody.
Then these stupid guys wanted a higher place. Then they get in the trap: "Oh sorry yes that`s true" It`s really funny to watch them playing and then asking if they are cheating "No mother****er, i`m not cheating i`m good enough but i know that you`re are cheating" they often shout back - So I started thinking like this: Yes go and cheat - have a look on our Commander he`s red like you and he pisses so many people off that they left the clan. So good bye Clan...good bye cheater you`re really an amazing realism Player in a very Hardcore Realism Clan. Good bye Idiots i hate you! I bought this game and you come here to deceive me. I

Upvote 0
I'm so awesome at this game (I think they're a bug, since I don't show up on the scoreboard), that anytime somebody kills me, I figure they must be a cheater. And I call them out on it, in some childish way. ;)

(yes, I'm kidding)

But seriously, I remember one time some guy was accusing his killer of cheating, because he was shot through a plaster wall. You could hear the collective face-palms of the other players. He didn't realize the game had bullet penetration.

Upvote 0
Okay...thanks

Okay...thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am not stellar at the game...play it when I can for a few hours after supper...and enjoy it. I usually find my name about in the middle of the points screen with a respectable number of kills so I don't think I am terrible at the game and contribute to the win (or loss) at least in some way. It has only been a few times when I have felt like there were some super god-like players around. Maybe I was just looking for a reason as to why I was sucking so badly that particular series of games. Anyway...it is good to hear your comments...thanks.

Upvote 0
....snip

As for sandbags, don't trust them if they're next to anything else. The stock penetration system uses only the hardness of the material on the initial impact spot. If you've got sandbags against the inside wall of a plaster building, then they're basically worthless, because shots from outside go through the whole affair as if it were all plaster.

Thx for the heads up with the sandbag placement Mekhazzio,,,
very useful info to know/keep in mind.....

I'm sure we had those WTF moments with being shot thru walls/behind cover etc,, thinking were safe.
There are some really good players in this game new n old.
I have gotten kills firing blindly thru wall
at all distances with my Kar. Blind luck I call it...

As for hacking it can usually be explained away 99% of the time.
with the formentioned posts/info above...

Upvote 0
The fact of the matter is, is that RO2, compared to other fps,' is very difficult to try to "police." VAC and PB will not catch anything except well-known hacks/hooks. Without screenshots, demos, and/or an ACCURATE 1st person spectator mode to supplement those two systems -- the community and server admins really have their hands tied.

Yes, a lot of hacking accusations are misinformed, but please do not think that because you can not detect it and say "oh I've never ever ever ever seen a hacker -- this game is totally secure" that that is true.

There were definitely people chamming and walling their balls off in competition (when it existed), not to mention using other exploits that were not generated by 3rd party hooks/hacks.

Some solace now is that usually the hacking is worse during those times and especially when money is on the line -- and those days have been over for quite a few months.

However the converse of that is that the "dead period" of games is usually the most desired time for malcontents to test hacks in the game -- knowing that there is virtually no one to catch them or even call them out and hence no repercussion or consequence to their actions.

Hacking does not seem to be a "major" problem in this game as it is in others, but please do not think it doesn't happen and is not happening in RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.