• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Horzine Specimen Testing Corridors_b1

Repeller

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Map Name: Horzine Specimen Testing Corridors

Beta Number: 1

Playable:
Yes

Pictures:
shot00129n.png

shot00131.png

shot00134i.png

Description of map:
You, and your squad were ambushed and captured by a new kind of intelligent specimen, and taken to the testing labs to help perfect the current specimens abilities. Good luck.

What testing is wanted:
This is my first map, it has quite a few bugs, and it is a very simple map. I plan on adding some hallways, and maybe stairs, but I'll see what you guys think of it. I would appreciate the feedback.

Map Download/Download Size:
16mb Last time I checked..

Link: http://www.filefront.com/16564183/KF-HorzineSpecimenTestingb1v2.rom

(You probably won't stand much of a chance, I will try to get b2 out as soon as possible.)

I would also like to give credit to Dextronaut, S281, Joe, Fel, and KINGShinobi for being patient with me while I spammed their steam messengers with questions. Everything on this map was placed by me without needing to take it from another map.

Final Thoughts: Video

YouTube - Killing Floor Maps: Specimen Testing Facility B1_V2

Last edited:
I will be adding some hallways soon to give players more room to run, so you can have more of a chance.

Also, I gave credit to the many developers that helped me, and answered plenty of my questions, even if they wanted to smash my head in with a broken pipe the entire time. xD

edit: I will also add screen shots.. ppf, picky people. xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is actually a pretty fun map :) scary too but only because i'm afraid of the dark lol ( i know i know laugh all you want) and it is pretty good for a first timer :) actually got static mesh's down, got the concept of killing floor down, and you've got a working trader :).

BUT i have some tips for ya
- your bot pathing is a mess.... as well as ur player starts, and trader teliporters but i'll get to those later but first lets look at ur pathing.

helper2.jpg

as you can tell you normally don't see the lines in the editor, i turned it on by going to the tool bar of whichever viewer window you want( the top bar in the screenshot) rightclicking an empty area on it ->view->show paths.

now as you can see it looks like a mess, and you have too much path which if you go onto medium and larger maps like bioticlabs or waterworks too much pathing will actually make the zeds(zombies) sluggish and they'll act confused.
however for your map sense it's small it really won't make much of a difference. but i would still highly recommend you learn to place Pathnodes and efficently as possible and get into the habit of just doing it efficently.
And you may have noticed that some of the lines are connected to the playerstarts, teliporters, ammoboxes, and pick-ups. that is because they are treated exactly like Pathnodes when the engine compiles the Pathing Network. i redid your pathing to show the difference with efficency.

helper.jpg

take note on how much cleaner it looks, and i'm useing 10 or so nodes less.

next up is player starts and teliporters.... you had a few of them overlaping eachother.. thats no bueno, the spawns/teliporters needs to be at least 64units(or something similar) between itself and walls, other spawns/teliporters. or the game engine will decide nothing will spawn there, and you'll be down 2 or more spawns/teliporters and with a full game of 6 players they'll have to share spawns and the game engine will complain about it bitterly in the logs lol. but anyways note how the spawns/teliporters are in 2x3 sections with 64units inbetween em in the screen above :).

- next up is textures, now this could very well have been intentional because of the texture but anyways, to keep textures from looking like they are from an 8 year old game> in the 3d viewer window and click on the surface you want to scale down->press F5( surface properties->a window will pop-up and you should be in the 2nd tab from the left-> on the left hand side of that window you'll see something alongs the lines of "Scale" and then a drop down box-> click on that arrow in the box-> choose something along the lines of 0.25( this is the scale i use when making levels) then hit ok or apply. thats it :)

-hmmm what else oh yea... based on what i've seen you either rushed the placement of things or had some super secret plan when placeing everything(other then the static meshes) cuz it's really really sloppy even for a new mapper. Please don't rush things chances are it'll only lead to bad things happening or the unrealed goblin comming out to play.

EXTRA INFO: :)
Please Take note that these links are to pages that are for unreal games but they'll help you understand how to use Pathnodes as well as help you understand how the zombies(bots) think.

bot pathing http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Pathing

the Zombie Minds paticular the parts on "Perception", "Bot Movement Along the Path Network",
and "Navigation Points"
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Mind

but you can always e-mail me at [email protected]
or hit me up on Steam :) my Steam id is: Falidell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is actually a pretty fun map :) scary too but only because i'm afraid of the dark lol ( i know i know laugh all you want) and it is pretty good for a first timer :) actually got static mesh's down, got the concept of killing floor down, and you've got a working trader :).

BUT i have some tips for ya
- your bot pathing is a mess.... as well as ur player starts, and trader teliporters but i'll get to those later but first lets look at ur pathing.

helper2.jpg

as you can tell you normally don't see the lines in the editor, i turned it on by going to the tool bar of whichever viewer window you want( the top bar in the screenshot) rightclicking an empty area on it ->view->show paths.

now as you can see it looks like a mess, and you have too much path which if you go onto medium and larger maps like bioticlabs or waterworks too much pathing will actually make the zeds(zombies) sluggish and they'll act confused.
however for your map sense it's small it really won't make much of a difference. but i would still highly recommend you learn to place Pathnodes and efficently as possible and get into the habit of just doing it efficently.
And you may have noticed that some of the lines are connected to the playerstarts, teliporters, ammoboxes, and pick-ups. that is because they are treated exactly like Pathnodes when the engine compiles the Pathing Network. i redid your pathing to show the difference with efficency.

helper.jpg

take note on how much cleaner it looks, and i'm useing 10 or so nodes less.

next up is player starts and teliporters.... you had a few of them overlaping eachother.. thats no bueno, the spawns/teliporters needs to be at least 64units(or something similar) between itself and walls, other spawns/teliporters. or the game engine will decide nothing will spawn there, and you'll be down 2 or more spawns/teliporters and with a full game of 6 players they'll have to share spawns and the game engine will complain about it bitterly in the logs lol. but anyways note how the spawns/teliporters are in 2x3 sections with 64units inbetween em in the screen above :).

- next up is textures, now this could very well have been intentional because of the texture but anyways, to keep textures from looking like they are from an 8 year old game> in the 3d viewer window and click on the surface you want to scale down->press F5( surface properties->a window will pop-up and you should be in the 2nd tab from the left-> on the left hand side of that window you'll see something alongs the lines of "Scale" and then a drop down box-> click on that arrow in the box-> choose something along the lines of 0.25( this is the scale i use when making levels) then hit ok or apply. thats it :)

-hmmm what else oh yea... based on what i've seen you either rushed the placement of things or had some super secret plan when placeing everything(other then the static meshes) cuz it's really really sloppy even for a new mapper. Please don't rush things chances are it'll only lead to bad things happening or the unrealed goblin comming out to play.

EXTRA INFO: :)
Please Take note that these links are to pages that are for unreal games but they'll help you understand how to use Pathnodes as well as help you understand how the zombies(bots) think.

bot pathing http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Pathinghttp://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Pathing

the Zombie Minds paticular the parts on "Perception", "Bot Movement Along the Path Network",
and "Navigation Points"
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Mindhttp://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bot_Mind

but you can always e-mail me at [email protected]
or hit me up on Steam :) my Steam id is: Falidell

Well, thanks for posting my terrible skills, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. xD

The reason why they are a mess, is because before, my barricades where not working right, I didn't have a way for them to walk up because I thought they could jump the boxes, and I was wrong. I will fix those later, when I add the hallways.

Also, I do have a super secret plan.. and it will be BRILLIANT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:) never ment to hurt(if i did) only ment the post more as a kind of tut basically.
also don't worry about being "terrible" your new so it's forgiven :cool:

-one thing you can do about the barricades is add blocking volumes(make em in the shape of Ramps this can be done either manually or with the 2d shape editor: link at the bottom) that cover those barricades. this will allow the zombies to go over them with ease thus significant less chance for them to go into bot confusion( they arn't the brightest creatures after all :p ) it that doesn't work then i'll figure something out and get back to you :)

2d shape editor http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/2D_shape_editor
though i must admit it's not a very good expaination.... hit me up if you have any questions

oh yea and a fun thing to do with your level is add a level preview screen shot slide show :)
linky link -> http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Level_Screenshot
but again it isn't set up for beginners so i'll step it up and walk you through it step by step.. perferably through steam chat or some chat thingy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am adding the hallways, and cleaning up the map a bit.

I need suggestions from people who have tested. Should I get rid of the music?

I have tested this with a full party, and everything but the trader seems to work, so I will be fixing the blocking volumes so it does not cause this trader bug.

Feedback please.

Upvote 0