• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection blows

There does seem to be something very wrong with hit detection at close range.

Perhaps once or twice, similar things happened to me, where I'd unload my smei-auto into a german with a bolt, three or four rounds hit the wall directly behind him, no blood and he takes me down with one shot..... and we were about 4-5 feet away from each other and I was in IronSights with his whole body surrounding my sights, so there was no way my shots were going around him.... unless my barrel was bent, but that would just be silly. He wasn't moving fast either, he was looking out a window when I first saw him and when I started firing he was turned towards me..... he didn't have a chance to move, and I was crouched and still to make sure I had tight shots.

It's not about not being familiar with how you shoot & aim in RO as I've been playing RO since the mod days.... and it's not relating to lag, as I avoid any servers that give me lag..... 97% of the time my shots hit exactly where I aim and everything is good, and then once in a blue moon, I shoot someone at close range and it goes right through them & makes a dust cloud in the wall directly behind them with no blood or body impact sounds..... and when I quickly start to unload a clip to make sure I hit them after this glitch, usually all shots do the same thing, except say one of the shots where I see a blood impact.

It doesn't happen often for me, but it has happened..... not too much of a concern, though it would be if it was happening more often.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for me this happened in battle and then again just shooting at a wall afterwards (because i was thinking "i know i didnt see enough bullets hitting the wall around the enemy.").

only every 3rd or 2nd bullet was registering on anything that i shot at with the mp40 when i was testing it on the wall and floor. i think this is ping related tho cause it was on a higher ping server. but cant confirm cause the pings dont display in the player list.

Upvote 0
That's not lag. That's a deliberate delay so you don't automatically who's killed whom as soon as it happens.

When you take a shot at someone and he disappears behind cover, you don't get to magically know if he's dead or going to pop back out. It preserves the tension while still eventually letting you know who you killed and from how far.
you are wrong,cuz I have played on servers that show right away
when you kill somebody like here
Red Orchestra 2 | Beta gameplay 10-0 run - YouTube

Upvote 0
I been having this problem as well i thought it was my 100 ping or bullet speed but i guess not, its especially bad because i love the bolt action rifle and when I'm in close range my shot to the center body mass of leading edge does **** all.

Yeah, I snuck up on a guy with a bolt, he was laying prone and I was standing right over him, and somehow it took 3 shots to hit him. He was only about a foot away!

Upvote 0
This could be just a lag problem from a slow connection. What you are seeing is not really what's happening. The syncing isn't correct between you and the server. That's a big problem, and not an easy one to fix. At least that's what I've learned from other MP games.

Had no problems in RO1 or any other multiplayer game for that matter.

And did you read the part where I said low ping servers?
50mb connection here, no lag problems.

This is no rubber banding or anything like that, it's hit detection.

Upvote 0
I was taking all the posts into account actually. If it's fine for some and not for others then it very well could be a connectivity issue. But that's just my opinion looking in from outside the box, as I haven't played the beta, which is just that, beta. I've elected to wait for the official release of the game, and thus, not jump to conclusions.

If you do a tracert to the server and see there are an abundance of hops before getting to the destination server, then there's not a lot you can do about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shot a guy 4 times the head with a bolt action for nothing once at about 10m. Shot an entire magazine in semi auto into a players body at about 4m for nothing several times. Seems to happen more often if the enemy is behind cover. I don't join servers with greater than 80ms ping.

That seems hard to believe. I've had a couple problems with hit detection, but usually only when people are moving, and not with an entire mag. Are you aiming down sights or just shooting from the hip?

Upvote 0
I agree. Hit detection up close seems to be the worst, I sometimes empty half a g41 clip from almost point blank range into a dude.

He doesn;t go down, grinds me up with his SMG, even though I know there is now way I could have missed 5 times.

And stuff like this has happened to me dozens of times across every weapon in the game.

Upvote 0