• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help! I need the minimum system requirement for KF2!

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic

I am a commando elite in KF1 and I had a friend who is a support elite from 2009. He has inherited AIDS and hepatitis B from his parents, and now lives in Beijing, China at a salary at 1400 RMB (USD $224.00) per month as a plumber(and he needs to pay for the medication against the diseases!).

He enjoys KF1 with us, and are willing to enjoy KF2. However, his PC is SH1T, very ****ty and should be discarded years ago. He cannot afford a new one, and can only rely on upgrading it by means of changing the CPU and GPU, at a cost lower an 1000 RMB (USD $160.00)

What he has now: E2180, DDR2 1Gx2, ASUS 7300LE, Gigabyte G31M-S2C
He is using ****ty PSU and does not own a 6-PIN power cable!

What he, after following my advice, is collecting:
Xeon E5450 with modification from LGA 771 to LGA 775
Kingston DDR2 2Gx2, provided by me
MSI GT 630 lenovo low-profile OEM edition, provided by me, dismantled from a lenovo PC (i voided its warranty for this graphics card!)

Now the problem is: Is E5450 or GT 630 available to handle KF2?

It is heard that E5450 almost owns the same performance as core I3 2nd generation, which is NOT obsolete.
The GT 630. I had played Sniper elite V2 at lowest at my working PC, it fitted that job.

How about KF2? Will its system requirement be that low so that my friend can enjoy it?

I don't know much about computery stuff, but I can say that Alan (I think it was Alan) said that they made KF 1 so that people on low end computers would be able to play it. I'm sure they would be sticking to that philosophy.

Um, I don't think that TWI sticks to low end PC that much... My old laptop was a dell inspiron 1427 with T6400 and 9300 M GS. It is ALMOST the same performance compared to E2180 and 7300LE. I had quite an enjoy about KF1 1011 version, but it became more and more intolerabley low frame rate as the game proceeds to the newer editions, especially when DLC weapons and steampunk/repainted weapons are added in the game.
That's why I quite understand the feel of my friend, because our PC are almost the same in performance. The difference is that he's got a desktop, I've got a laptop!

Another thing I am worrying about is the GT 630 graphics card. NVIDIA has got sh1tty low-tier graphic cards. The GT 630 is INFERIOR to 9600GT, which had already appeared at least 5 years ago!

Also, there is a risk that my friend go idiot and burn his motherboard and CPU by installing the Xeon at an incorrect direction:p

Upvote 0
If i had to guess i'd say you'd want at the very least a 4870 gpu, and a good dual core cpu.

When i first played KF and had 2 8800 GT's, one of them would run the game fairly ok but the frame rate dropped an awful lot on the Farm map and became laggy. Was perfectly smooth with 2 of them, bearing in mind that is much higher than the minimum required specs.

I still have a HD 5870 from 2009 which is old now but i suspect it would run KF2 over 60fps for the most part, UT3 ran pretty smooth when i tried it a while back so i assume any card similar to that would run the game well enough, maybe dipping under 60 slightly with all the body parts on screen but i don't think by much.

Upvote 0
If i had to guess i'd say you'd want at the very least a 4870 gpu, and a good dual core cpu.

When i first played KF and had 2 8800 GT's, one of them would run the game fairly ok but the frame rate dropped an awful lot on the Farm map and became laggy. Was perfectly smooth with 2 of them, bearing in mind that is much higher than the minimum required specs.

I still have a HD 5870 from 2009 which is old now but i suspect it would run KF2 over 60fps for the most part, UT3 ran pretty smooth when i tried it a while back so i assume any card similar to that would run the game well enough, maybe dipping under 60 slightly with all the body parts on screen but i don't think by much.

That is frustrating! GT 630 is inferior compared to HD 4870!
In fact, I can tell him to buy a mined(ever been used in fictional looting such as the btc or ltc or something) 7850 at about 500 RMB but that is a fortune to him!

Upvote 0
Firstly, I believe I know about this LGA 771 to LGA 775 "conversion" you're speaking of, and I would advise you to be very, very careful; most LGA 775 motherboards have a BIOS that knows absolutely nothing about XEONs, not to mention that the E5450 was intended to be paired with the Intel 5000-series chipsets. It isn't likely you have an LGA 775 motherboard with such a chipset. The Gigabyte board you mention has the G31. (The supported CPU list for that motherboard is available on their website.)

Intel made about six bazillion LGA 775 processors, but two that are usually compatible with most DDR2-based boards are the E5x00-series Wolfdales, and the E4x00-series Conroes. I have a E5700 on the house LAN; with a good graphics card it is still a decent gaming platform at reasonable resolutions.

Regarding the GT630:

There are no less than four (4) versions of this video card. Two are nothing more than re-badged GT440s; one with DDR3, the other with DDR5. These are based on the Fermi micro-architecture, the GF108.

There is a newer GT630 based on the GK208 Kepler micro-architecture, which has considerably more "grunt" than the Fermi-based chip, but, has been crippled with absolutely appalling memory bandwidth.

Finally, there is the Fermi-based GF107, which is possibly what you have since this is supposed to be an OEM-only card, and may well have been what was in the Lenovo.

None of these are first-tier gaming cards, that is for certain. However, if your friend isn't going to be playing at high resolutions, (perhaps something like 1440 X 900, or less), *and* doesn't demand using very high visual-quality levels, I think he may be just fine with the graphics card you liberated from the Lenovo. Won't hurt to wait and see.

Upvote 0
Firstly, I believe I know about this LGA 771 to LGA 775 "conversion" you're speaking of, and I would advise you to be very, very careful; most LGA 775 motherboards have a BIOS that knows absolutely nothing about XEONs, not to mention that the E5450 was intended to be paired with the Intel 5000-series chipsets. It isn't likely you have an LGA 775 motherboard with such a chipset. The Gigabyte board you mention has the G31. (The supported CPU list for that motherboard is available on their website.)

Intel made about six bazillion LGA 775 processors, but two that are usually compatible with most DDR2-based boards are the E5x00-series Wolfdales, and the E4x00-series Conroes. I have a E5700 on the house LAN; with a good graphics card it is still a decent gaming platform at reasonable resolutions.

Regarding the GT630:

There are no less than four (4) versions of this video card. Two are nothing more than re-badged GT440s; one with DDR3, the other with DDR5. These are based on the Fermi micro-architecture, the GF108.

There is a newer GT630 based on the GK208 Kepler micro-architecture, which has considerably more "grunt" than the Fermi-based chip, but, has been crippled with absolutely appalling memory bandwidth.

Finally, there is the Fermi-based GF107, which is possibly what you have since this is supposed to be an OEM-only card, and may well have been what was in the Lenovo.

None of these are first-tier gaming cards, that is for certain. However, if your friend isn't going to be playing at high resolutions, (perhaps something like 1440 X 900, or less), *and* doesn't demand using very high visual-quality levels, I think he may be just fine with the graphics card you liberated from the Lenovo. Won't hurt to wait and see.

LGA 771 to LGA 775 CONVERSION is powered by "Tulatin bar", baidu bulletin board system,China. (http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%CD%BC%C0%AD%B6%A1&fr=index, Simplified Chinese)
There are lots of "garbage hardware enthusiast" who has got loads of dosh while still in love with extracting the maximum performance from these "garbages". The 771 to 775 is one of the most brilliant inventions. (It also made the price of "Xeon" 771 CPUs to rise sky high from RMB 30 each to 300.)
I can only hope that he doesn't screw it because I'm not in Beijing and had never done anything like this before, and he is a computer idiot. Luckily he has got a novice technician but it is still quite risky though. I had shown them the documents and instructions I've found but whether they can do it correctly is another issue.

The GT 630 is not the usual version you've thought of. It's a LOW PROFILE card with red PCB.
I wonder if I can post any pictures here?FK the GFW I'll type instead.

Techpowerup GPUZ 0.7.7
Name:Nvidia Geforce GT 630
GPU: GK107
Revision: A2
Technology: 28nm
Die size: 118 sq mm
Release date:April 25,2012
Transistors: 1300M
BIOS Version: 80.07.53.00.2C(P2012-0000)
Device ID: 10DE-0FC2
Subvendor: MSI(1062)
ROPs/TMUs: 16/16
Bus Interface: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1
Shaders: 192 Unified
DirectX support: 11.0/SM 5.0
Pixel Fillrate: 14.0 GPixel/s
Texture Fillrate: 14.0 GTexel/s
Memory type: DDR3 (Hynix)
Bus width: 128 Bit
Memory size: 1024 MB
Bandwidth: 28.5 GB/s

GPU clock: 876 MHZ MEM clock: 891 MHZ

My friend, he requires neither high resolution nor high texture performance. AFAIK he, with the 7300LE, plays KF with us at a resolution @ 800x600 and all settings lowest.

In fact, according to partners in the BBS, Xeon E5450 can brought up a GPU as high as GTX 560. However, this guy has got a sh1tty PSU (low wattage, no 6-pin cable) and a LOW PROFILE chassis, so the upgrade is very restricted.
(Low tier AMD cards are great at performance, but high on power consumption. It is nothing for a newly built PC since you can choose your PSU, but fatal to this old PC. The 108W consumption for HD 6770 will EXPLODE his PSU without a problem.)
I recommanded the brand new Maxwell GTX 750 -- It is a brilliant card packed with enough performance (a little higher than GTX 560) while the power consumption is restricted to 50 watts, and there is a LP edition -- The Galaxy 750 mini. However, this will cost about 1,000 RMB, too expensive for him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, you are, of course, quite correct regarding the "107" variant being based on Kepler, rather than Fermi. Apparently, there was a little more bourbon left in that bottle last night than I first realized. (That seems to be a recurring problem.) In any case, from a graphics card standpoint, I think your friend should be fine.

Also, good luck with that Xeon. I've read some horror stories about that mod, but, I'm aware that it does work sometimes. And, if it doesn't, one can usually revert back to a 775 processor. So, I suppose it can't hurt to give it a try.

Hopefully, KF2 won't be too hardware intensive.

Upvote 0
LGA771 to LGA775 conversion http://www.purepc.pl/podkrecanie/poradnik_jak_uruchomic_procesor_lga_771_na_plycie_lga_775 Risky, unreliable but possible. Use google translate - original language is Polish.

GT630 is low end. It's an office card. Don't expect much. Search for 128 bit version. If there are any - choose GDDR5 memory over GDDR3. I don't know if there is GDDR5 version, so it's up do you to dig.

PSU - why is it the most overlooked piece of hardware???
Get a reliable PSU or you will fry your hardware. It's a MUST!

I am a commando elite in KF1 and I had a friend who is a support elite from 2009.
...aaaand?
None of the veterans who have proven their skills though YT videos or Steam guides say that.
Please stop that "I am Elite" nonsense.

Upvote 0
There are no system reqs at this time as the engine is still very much in a state of flux.

Ur, is it possible to make that the LOWEST settings to be very SIMPLE (no unnecessary effects/HD textures/something like that) so that even obsolete PCs can run it? Something as simple as Counter Strike, you know.

The highest, however, can be as powerful as Crysis;)

Upvote 0
PSU - why is it the most overlooked piece of hardware???
Get a reliable PSU or you will fry your hardware. It's a MUST!

Oh, again I need to remind you. It doesn't matter if he fries his hardware or not, because whatever he is tinkering is sh1t. If he happens to fry the motherboard or CPU or GPU or MEM or someting, just sell them to the recycled and buy a new one, if he can!

The sh1ts he has got is too sh1tty to be cherished.

Upvote 0

Ur, is it possible to make that the LOWEST settings to be very SIMPLE (no unnecessary effects/HD textures/something like that) so that even obsolete PCs can run it? Something as simple as Counter Strike, you know.

The highest, however, can be as powerful as Crysis;)

As before, the answer is that we don't know yet. We'd love to make it so that it runs on a 386 chipset with no graphics card, as well as looking astounding on PC Gamer's Large Pixel Collider. But that combination is a little unlikely. We'll try and make it as braod spectrum as we can - but consider the fact that EA/Activision (who have more graphics coders than we have people) can't achieve what you're asking. So - sorry - you'll have to wait and see what our engineers can achieve, just like we will!

Upvote 0
As before, the answer is that we don't know yet. We'd love to make it so that it runs on a 386 chipset with no graphics card, as well as looking astounding on PC Gamer's Large Pixel Collider. But that combination is a little unlikely. We'll try and make it as braod spectrum as we can - but consider the fact that EA/Activision (who have more graphics coders than we have people) can't achieve what you're asking. So - sorry - you'll have to wait and see what our engineers can achieve, just like we will!

OK.
In fact, I think i've already got the answer. Checking the games powered by unreal 3 engine of their requirements, the answer is - 8800 GT.

Gears of war: 8500 GT
Alliance of Valiant Arms: 7600 GT
Bioshock Infinite: 7300 GT
I believe that borderlands is NOT the style this game is, so PASS.
Mass Effect 2: 2900 XT (AMD/ATI preferred, need 8800 GT for Nvidia GPU)

GT 630 is inferior than 8800 GT but that means nothing but it does't guarantee it 100% fluently playable. And my GT 630 is an unorthodox one with the more powerful GK107 GPU. NICE SHOT;)

Oh, I don't know if I am qualified to say suggestions on graphics, but if possible, take these, ALL BELOW ARE on LOWEST effect ONLY:

Do not use dynamic fire effect on map objects. That refers to the fire on wrecks in KF-FARM. Use texture instead.(i.e. a portrait of fire, like in the old wolfenstein)

Disable the muzzle fire effect. The fall of framerate will hamper the gun's controlling.

Do your best to cut ALL unnecessary effects on weapons which throws flame(flamethrower, husk gun on both side), and SMOKE. These are the KILLER for framerates. For the smoke, a pile of grey texture is enough.

BLOOD EFFECT can also be disabled. For gamers with sh1tty graphic cards, enjoy the GAME is more important than enjoy the BLOOD.

That's what I've done thinking. Hope that you got the optimization as great as Counter Strike and "Devil may cry 4".

Upvote 0