• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

• Total voters
Gunslinger sounds actually a pretty logic perk to me. With a S&W .50 for 3 tier weapon (dual weld would be awesome) the handcannons and the 9mm can actually be useful weapons. Not a single SS use dual guns beacuse of the lack of accuracy. But a gunslinger can take advantage of that dual welding. In my opinion i think is a great idea and an excellent suggestion for a new perk!

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
All in favor! 9mm and handcanon are actually some of the weapons i like the most, it would be awsome to really take advantage by using them.

Many people deny new perks with the "theres already a perk for that role.."

Well, as i see it there isn't a perk in the world that wouldn't do that. All the roles are already filled, unless anyone (very original :)) comes up with a new role in the game.

So im all in favor for this perk. DIVERSITY ;)

Upvote 0
I havent changed my stance on this, I still think it would be greta, the Revolver sounds good, the use of zed time sounds great and it will give veteran players renewed vigor as they try to level it up. The only problem with that being that you would have a lot of people just going as Gunslinger for a couple of days, but i'd live with that. It would still be fun.

Do the Gunslingers perk specifics cross over to unperked weapons, for example, if I was uing the Bullpup as a Gunslinger, would I draw the weapon faster? I think that this should be enabled, as faster reloading for Commando crosses over perks does it not? And there are other examples but that will do the job nicely.

Upvote 0
I read some of the older posts, some regarding the perk's name and here is a new idea:

How about "Agent"?
Now imagine James Bond (a secret service agent) or the Agents in Matrix. They very often have pistols as their main weapons, no? ;):p:D

Naming it Agent could also, in a way, justify the coldheadedness that was spoken of before (having less visual impairment from Bloat Bile, Siren Screams, Stalker Slashes etc) due to their training and so on. And it would also make the perk able to get (on top of pistols) GADGETS belonging to it, whatever ones they may be. Stuff to aid your team in a new supportive way, like motion sensors, damage amplifying stuff etc etc

It would also make sense that the govenment, on top of using the military and so on, to send in secret agents and whatnot to help with these kind of outbreaks etc.

So, i think "Agent" is a better name for the perk. It leaves it very open for new ideas and not just about pistols (not that i would mind if it was purely a pistol-perk myself though), and also fits better in the UK than the american-sounding "Gunslinger".

Reactions: Fronk
Upvote 0
I have no idea what you mean by "buff" in that poll. Sorry. I've never seen that word used that way. What I'd like to see is a class that specializes in ALL pistols and revolvers, not just one or the other. I've been wanting to see this for a while. The greatest perk would be not having to fire each one individually but each click firing both, so twice the bullets.

Also, this site has a GREAT list of pistols!! Everyone should definitely read through the pistol section (second post).

JA2 1.13 Weapon Comparison
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199401&page=1

I'd have to say that my favorites are the
M29 SATAN for power and the FiveseveN for speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never swung with Gunslinger msyelf. Mostly because it doesn't mean someone using pistols, it means someone experienced and skilled at wielding a gun :)

"a person highly skilled in the use of a gun and a veteran of many gunfights, especially one living during the frontier days of the American West."

I'd be happy with Officer. Also gives potential for other unique class bonuses too.

Upvote 0
-First of all I'm against the idea as it just doesn't appeal to me ,but for the sake of being open-minded I'll post anyway XD-

How about Handguneer? or just simply Handgunner, or Small Arms Expert?

The reason I say this is because I agree with the earlier post about "Gunslinger" sounding like an expert in all gun like weapons. In that cause it might as well be that. But by narrowing the name down to one class of firearm, it seems much more realistic as no one person is good with EVERYTHING.

On that note I'm against the headshot multiplier as that is the sharpshooters specialty. How about do something different like a body shot multiplier of 1.2-1.5 or even give the revolver bullet penetration of say up to 1 extra zed at level 6(only the initial hit zed and the one behind this way it doesn't outshine the support in any way.)

I don't like the original idea for leveling so what I figure is do like commando and give it a damage and creature requirement, yes I know everyone hates the stalker requirement but I feel that this perk would be more like commando in that its made for cleaning up a mess of creatures. My suggestion is crawlers. This way you have two classes to split up clean up detail so that it isn't just the commando.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Names: Gunslinger, Agent, Pistoleer, Handgunner, Small Arms Expert, Officer, ... Pistol Survivalist lol?

And powers (at level 6):

1) 70% Pistol discount
2) 50% Pistol damage
3) 50% Pistol reload speed
4) 60% Pistol "Run n Gun" bonus (Reduction in weaponswaying when moving + reduction in speed penalty while ironsighting)
5) 40% General recoil bonus
6) 50% Faster weapon switching
7) ZED time reflexes (During ZED time, your reload bonus goes up by 1.5x, your recoil bonus 2x, movement speed increases by 15%, double draw speed and all semi-auto pistols become full-auto (no need to click each shot)
8) 80% Visionblur resistance (less screen-shaking etc from vision-blurring attacks etc)

Levelling requirements:
1) Pistol damage

2) Multiple ideas here:
a) Consecutive pistol kills (kills with pistols done within max 2 secs of eachother)
b) ZED time pistol kills
c) Pistol style kills (both a and b together!)

Just some thoughts :)

Upvote 0
Names: Gunslinger, Agent, Pistoleer, Handgunner, Small Arms Expert, Officer, ... Pistol Survivalist lol?

And powers (at level 6):

1) 70% Pistol discount
2) 50% Pistol damage
3) 50% Pistol reload speed
4) 60% Pistol "Run n Gun" bonus (Reduction in weaponswaying when moving + reduction in speed penalty while ironsighting)
5) 40% General recoil bonus
6) 50% Faster weapon switching
7) ZED time reflexes (During ZED time, your reload bonus goes up by 1.5x, your recoil bonus 2x, movement speed increases by 15%, double draw speed and all semi-auto pistols become full-auto (no need to click each shot)
8) 80% Visionblur resistance (less screen-shaking etc from vision-blurring attacks etc)

Levelling requirements:
1) Pistol damage

2) Multiple ideas here:
a) Consecutive pistol kills (kills with pistols done within max 2 secs of eachother)
b) ZED time pistol kills
c) Pistol style kills (both a and b together!)

Just some thoughts :)
sounds good id play the crap out of that perk. not overpowered at all, fun, great for newbies, and a great starting perk for sub lvl 5 perk people.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Generally agree there Aze, pretty solid build you got there. I do however have a few gripes, as always :)

1) I still strongly disagree with a perk bonus buff during zed time, because it isn't a controllable ability. Instead you are relying on luck for ZED time to trigger when you need it. The only way around it is a ability to manually trigger zed time, but of course that opens up a huge range of balance problems so it isn't worth it.

I'd be more in favour of something like Siren Resistance to tie in with his vision blur ability, since it is a reliable perk benefit.

2) I don't think a reduction in weapon sway is needed since I'm pretty sure regardless of when you fire the bullet goes dead center of the screen. Plus the sway movement gives me a sense of rhythm and timing that I would miss if it weren't there :)

3) I'd also like to see some kind of perk benefit for dual wielded weapons. Perhaps an extra 10-20% damage (balance depending), or something else.

But aye I'm not too fussed if I'm honest :)

Upvote 0
Generally agree there Aze, pretty solid build you got there. I do however have a few gripes, as always :)

1) I still strongly disagree with a perk bonus buff during zed time, because it isn't a controllable ability. Instead you are relying on luck for ZED time to trigger when you need it. The only way around it is a ability to manually trigger zed time, but of course that opens up a huge range of balance problems so it isn't worth it.

I'd be more in favour of something like Siren Resistance to tie in with his vision blur ability, since it is a reliable perk benefit.
I would understand you if it was a DAMAGEBOOST in there, but it is just secondary things, like reloading, recoil etc. So it's not as gamebreaking. Besides, in my KF2 Megapost, the Gunslingers active perk power is to activate ZED time :rolleyes:

2) I don't think a reduction in weapon sway is needed since I'm pretty sure regardless of when you fire the bullet goes dead center of the screen. Plus the sway movement gives me a sense of rhythm and timing that I would miss if it weren't there :)
Well, the sway is still there, but not as distractingly much anymore. Also, something that could be added in the list of effects from the "run and gun" bonus could be: Less recoilpenalty while moving + Less bulletspread on rapid fire (both standing still and running) perhaps? Would that make it more useful in terms of a perkpower? :)

3) I'd also like to see some kind of perk benefit for dual wielded weapons. Perhaps an extra 10-20% damage (balance depending), or something else.
Sorry, but i don't like those magical changes (similar to the old Hunting Shotgun pellet inconsistancy, the old Bullpup full/semiauto damage differences, the current Mac10 and Handgrenade being incendiary or not depending on what perk you play with)
I just hate things that defy logic on such a high level.

But aye I'm not too fussed if I'm honest :)

Awesome ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Besides, in my KF2 Megapost, the Gunslingers active perk power is to activate ZED time :rolleyes:

Sorry, but i don't like those magical changes (similar to the old Hunting Shotgun pellet inconsistancy, the old Bullpup full/semiauto damage differences, the current Mac10 and Handgrenade being incendiary or not depending on what perk you play with)
I just hate things that defy logic on such a high level.

Ok..

Upvote 0

Heh, well "things that defy logic" probably wasn't the best words to use there, but rather "very inconsistant things / things that change behaviour-wise magically without any real basis to it, in an instant" would be better i guess.

I know triggering ZED time manually (like some kind of "reflex" or "instinct" awakening, like in F.E.A.R or Max Payne) sounds illogical in some way, but it makes for a neat gameplay feature and, like in the previous parenthesis, it has SOME plausible reason to it.

I dunno how to explain it really. I guess it's the "suspension of disbelief" thing. I can see a guy "awakening his instincts" to get better reflexes, but i just can't really grasp for example if you throw a Mac10 from one guy to another, then the bullets change in terms of being incendiary or not. I mean, i don't see HOW that would work in any way...

Am i making any sense? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0