• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2D Art Gotta love them red boxes. [A HUD thread]

Nurae

Jun 8, 2009
Loving the game! But the HUD is killing me! (no, not really, it's actully the zombies.. but you know..) Anyway, i decided to do something about it! So i've spent some time learning how to do stuff with the unreal-engine (I've always been more of a Source kind of guy, but hey, i go where the good games are :p) And finally an hour or so later i figured it out! [Picture here of the project so far]. But i've run into a couple of problems, so here i am, asking for your help!

1. As you can see, all the text is still red. Is there anyway to alter this? Or is it hardcoded into the game?

2. Is there anyway to be able to play online with the custom HUD? So far i've gotten no luck but that might just be because i'm doing it wrong.

3. Well, that's pretty much it.. i could have sworn i had more questions.. hm, guess not.

Oh, and yeah, i'm still tweaking it, going to redo most of the icons to fit the new background and such, so for now those are just placeholders.

Anyways, hope you can help me.

I remember someone made something like that
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=31171

but yeah, the hud isn't really great...
in mod looked better

Shot00039.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think the question on everyone's mind is: Why did the appearance of the HUD turn bad when the game went retail? I really like the look of the HUD in that screenshot. The current HUD looks like a non-artist made it.

i dont think TWI expected KF to sell as well as it did. just look at the menu screen for example:

kf mod 2.0/2.51:

menupng.png

kf retail:

Shot00043-2.png

Upvote 0
That was the crappy 2.51 menu! The real 2.51 made by Marco and Alex was better! Heck, that was the menu from 2.0/2.11!

.... yes the official 2.51 is better, but you got to admit, that menu from 2.0/2.11 is the best menu ever:

-gun smoking with some casings laying around

-some blood

-the hand twitching

-and the lighting coming from above

makes you wonder what happened, was he surrounded and shot himself? or was he surrounded and died fighting?

the 2.5 menu is cool also but its just a lab, nothing really special or thought provoking :\

Upvote 0