• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
My question is, do we expect there to be an FPS cap on the game?

A lot of games as of recent have implemented FPS caps. Personally, I think it's horrible. Probably the best feeling game out there till this day is Quake 3 which is in part due to a great engine and the ability to run the game at 120 frames both due to it not being demanding on modern hardware and because you can cap the frames yourself. Games that top out at 60 frames just don't feel the same, don't run the same, and you're not able to get into the shoes of the character as easily.

I know I'm going to get the following arguments so let me address them off the start:

1) the human eye can't see more than 30 frames
Myth. I can personally tell the difference between 60 and 120 with no difficulty. If you've had the opportunity to compare, I'm pretty sure you could tell too.

2) You can't take advantage of over 60 frames anyway
Well, get a 120 HZ LCD and you can, or pull the old CRT out of the closet

3) It makes no difference; it's just for bragging rights
No, it does. I can clearly feel differences up to around 85. Anything less than that affects game play. And yes, gameplay > *.*

With the UE3 engine there is a coded FPS cap of 90fps, as well as FPS smoothing turned on by default. However both of these features can be disabled via .ini files.
hey! i tried to tweak the redorchestra.ini to remove it, but i could not get rid of the 90 cap, what commands do i need to change in the file? i find some commands like mindesiredframerate and maxclientframerate what numbers should i put at the end so i would have no limit for fps, to get all out of my pc :) thanks

Upvote 0
hey! i tried to tweak the redorchestra.ini to remove it, but i could not get rid of the 90 cap, what commands do i need to change in the file? i find some commands like mindesiredframerate and maxclientframerate what numbers should i put at the end so i would have no limit for fps, to get all out of my pc :) thanks

If I recall correctly, there's a hardcoded FPS limit for multiplayer (which can't be disabled), while singleplayer is unlimited.

Upvote 0
I can personally tell the difference between 60 and 120 with no difficulty
either you're incredibly ignorant and don't know what you're talking about or you're lying. human eye doesn't work that way. monitors at 120fps are negligible from 60.

you're full of **** and quite stupid.

I'd assume there isn't an FPS cap. Not sure why there would be.

modern video cards render themselves to death. vsync sucks.

Upvote 0
It feels like it depends on what "harm" it does that some people have extremely high FPS. It would make sense though to perhaps cap it at 120 instead of 100 or 90.
theres no real reason to cap it, high fps does not give any advantages, unless its the quake engine, and its a small advantage like able to jump a little further. I want to get all out of my pretty expensive pc.

Upvote 0
if you set your fps cap in RO1 to say 120 and then while in game change your netspeed to something like 10001 you will be able to use that fps cap instead of the regular 90.

You need to change the netspeed every time you join a server though.

^ this

Actually the default cap should still be 85 under windows 7. I just found out that the limiter is somehow broken there: While on windows XP, your max fps will always be exactly at the limit you set with maxclientframerate, while on 7 its always a bit off. For example setting it to 100 is giving me 111. Random side note, I know :)

Edit: There were other games also which gave you advantages with more fps. For example in some mods based on the HL engine you can get a higher ROF with some weapons, with certain fps. It wouldn't go all up the higher the fps but there were steps where it would peak. Let's say 20, 44 and 200 for example.
But I guess the ut engine doesn't have such side effects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I forgot exactly what changes I made to Homefront to remove the FPS cap, but it involved changing some FPS setting to 999, I was able to get framerates ~120 afterwards. Sorry I cant be less vague but I just can't remember.

Here is a little bit more to help:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

These settings control the framerate range between which the game engine attempts to smooth frames. As covered under the bSmoothFrameRate setting above, if that setting is set to True, the framerate limit specified by the value of MaxSmoothedFrameRate will be enforced. Although you can disable this FPS cap, ideally if you want smooth FPS but don't want the default 62FPS cap, one thing you can do is to set the MaxSmoothedFrameRate to a higher value, e.g. =70 or =85. It's usually best to set your FPS cap to match your refresh rate, since even with VSync disabled, any framerate above your monitor's refresh rate will simply be partial frames anyway. There's no reason why uncapping your FPS will necessarily provide you a better gameplay advantage, and in fact it may do the opposite due to greater FPS variability, so experiment to see if simply using a higher framerate cap is actually a better compromise of smoothness and performance.

I believe that I achieved FPS above 90 by setting min FPS to 0 and max to 999, but it was a long time since I've messed with any ini's..

Upvote 0
You know that running in 120 fps or more doesn't mean you get a "fluid" image right? In the most cases yes, but it depends in a lot of factors, as if there is blur motion, if there is a lot of debris, smoke etc etc, without even talking about brightness (yes, it affects)

Also, many fps means your brain has to "work" much faster, so it can process all that information so you can see it "fluid"...

So, too many fps = 1 hour or more playing non-stop and you'll probably have headaches.

(All of this is relative, as it depends on a lot of factors)

Just to tell you that putting fps cap is not so bad ideia, although i agree that should always exist an option that allows you to choose.

Upvote 0
Never saw a reason why someone would cap the fps, apart from the quake argument mentioned above.

But since I never get above the caps I don't really care.

Sometimes capping FPS can actually fix performance problems in games. For instance, for the longest time I had been unable to play Far Cry 2 on DX10 without serious stuttering issues and terrible input/mouse lag, despite getting good FPS. Recently I figured out a solution -- cap the FPS at 30 (or whatever is just below your minimum FPS) and the problems went away completely.

Another issue I've had that required a FPS cap was with Killing Floor. I had this issue where everytime I started up the game, my FPS would shoot up super high at the TWI splash screen and actually freeze my PC. Turning on V Sync (capping the FPS), and making it so I can skip the splash screen fixed my problem.

It's just a handy thing to be able to do, in case you need it.

Upvote 0