• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For a Better CLASSIC mode

utek

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
Slovenia
Dear Tripwire

i think,that this improvnents are not so hard to make/implement,because some of them are alredy ingame in Realism Mode, the point for(bayonets,MG,scopes,ppsh mag,...)and you dont need to make new animations and stuff.

a name and description change,Classic sound kinda old,boring and slow and also the description for this mode,is not so good either.
many of the new players don't know what is different in this mode.

maybe rename it to something like this:
-Veteran mode
-Hardcore Realism
-Historical Realism
-Authentic Realism
and maybe post a official TripWire poll on the RO2 forum,with different potential names.to see what the communty thinks is the best name,for a better Classic mode.

weapon attachments:
note:we need some disadvantages/downsides,or benefits,in order for this to balance.

bayonets OFF/ON
for bolt and semi-auto.rifles.,let us choose if we want them or not.
Lx15bYF.jpg

i'm ok with japanese weapons bayonets always ON-because of the banzai charge.

MG34 add an 100 rounds version,with some disadvantages/downsides over the 50 rounds drum version,like:
7vXEuwJ.jpg

-no grenades
-slightly slower movement and deployment speed.
-and a total of 200 rounds,= 2 ammo belts
make it so,that it is more like a defensive/support MG.version.

ppsh 41-let us choose if we want the 35 rounds stick magazine or the 71 rounds drum.
and add slightly less sway and less recoil to the 35 stick mag. version.( because of the lower weight and better grip)
sdrY6tY.jpg

RS-Type 100 smg let us choose between the lvl. 25 or lvl.50 and the default version.
KHw0C13.jpg

RS-browning automatic rifle -BAR - let us choose between Bipod ON/OFF versions.
aPkg3Mx.jpg

RS- Upgraded lvl.50-Katana(family heirloom)and lvl 50.colt 1911-make them available,but only for commanders.and hero SL
7N1cdlP.jpg
1O1XjtS.jpg

classes improvnents:
Marksman class -Sniper scopes-let us choose between,the lvl. 25 or lvl.50 scopes and the default ones.( to add some variety to the sniper class)>>>>>> http://imgur.com/rpAa6xS

SL-squad leaders(RO2) give them back their SMGs (choice between bolt action Rifle or SMG)
also this one is a bit tricky,we may end up with to many smg on the battlefield(maybe reduce the number of assault troops?)test this in the BETA.

Engineer class,let him choose between a SMG or a bolt action Rifle.

Anti Tank class,give them more points for a destroyed tank,not just +2,i was thinking more like 20 or more. (i mean c'mon even a MG resupply gives you +5 points.)
and some kill assist points would be nice,if you hit a Tank 10 times with the AT rifle,and them comes a dude and destroys it in one shoot.

RS-flamethrower operator-make the Dragon dude move slower and make the weapon louder.
and how about a small split second delay when you fire the weapon-to prevent tap firing?!(so that you have a chance,to kill the flamethrower guy before he can hipfire you,from 15m...:rolleyes:)

and maybe limit the number of it,on US defense maps to only one?!

RS-american rifleman m1 garand the"Ping trick" add it to classic mode-maybe heroes only?! (to prevent spaming)

Other ideas:
Make a Trailer :cool:- to bring new life and players(and some old ones:rolleyes:) back to RO2 and to this mode.
and to show of the new improvements in Classic mode(new name,speed,weapon sway,recoil,new weapon stuff(mg100belt,ppsh,lvl.25-50 scopes,bayonets,type 100,lvl 50katana...)the ping trick...

Utek

Last edited:
and add slightly less sway and less recoil to the 35 stick mag. version.( because of the weight and better grip)(see attachment pic.)
Ahem, the drum version is much heavier. 5.3 kg drum, 4.15 stick, 3.6 empty. You can see that the drum itself quite heavy (1.7 kilos, while even two sticks with the same amount of ammo total weigh 1.1). If anything, the drum PPSh should have far less recoil. Grip and sway may be different.

I don't think that sticks should be encouraged, anyway (partly because their presence and ubiquity is not entirely historical). Some people like them, because they allow for easier ammo management.

The bits that should be in all game modes:

Engineer class,let him choose between a SMG or a bolt action Rifle.
Anti Tank class,give them more points for a destroyed tank,not just +2
Winterwald is the perfect example where Engineers need a bolt. It is rare that I see the AA emplacements blown up, partly because Engineer is unpopular there.

And +2 for a destroyed tank is an insult (at least if you destroy it with an AT rifle). Bigger destruction bonuses and bonuses for critical hits (especially the tracks) are sorely needed. Actually, making AT Grenades weaker and giving a bigger bonus for destroying a tank with them would be a good idea (now they are unrealistically powerful, at least RPG. And the magnetic one... well, you know.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ahem, the drum version is much heavier. 5.3 kg drum, 4.15 stick, 3.6 empty. You can see that the drum itself quite heavy (1.7 kilos, while even two sticks with the same amount of ammo total weigh 1.1). If anything, the drum PPSh should have far less recoil. Grip and sway may be different.
yea i know that,but i only suggested that because of balance.
so this way we got:
a 71 drum version that is better in CQ because you got more ammo to work with.
but the recoil stays the same as is it now in classic=heavy:rolleyes:

and a 35 stick mag.version that is lighter,more steady and slightly better at long range,because of how you hold the mag.is like a vertical grip.http://www.brotherprice.com/ebphoto/TDI Style Arms Vertical Ergonomic Grip.jpg[url]http://www.brotherprice.com/ebphoto/TDI%20Style%20Arms%20Vertical%20Ergonomic%20Grip.jpg[/URL]
but you have less ammo to shoot.

Attachments

• Ppsh-41.jpg
    Ppsh-41.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I would rather have realism and classic combined.
Sprint speed should be like realism sprint speed(of course people carrying a lot of weight like the LMG, should be going slower than a rifleman who probably doesnt have more than 30-40kg of stuff on him.)
Zoom should stay in because pixel hunting is the exact OPPOSITE of realism.(though make the zoom more controllable for the player).
Bayo's should really only affect sway for the Germans and basically any other weapon that isnt a mosin, since I read that a lot of mosins were made with bayonet in mind so having it off of it would make shooting at long ranges a little tougher.
Agree with Engineer,PPsh,AT class,most of the HUD ideas,MG34 idea(would really help balance things out really),Snipers,and the sound idea, although I heard they have a chance to whitelist that one RO1 sound mod.

Upvote 0
I agree with all your points.
However, those sounds from that video are just... Ugh.
yea i only like the different mg34 sound.(sure they could do it even better),but it sounds strong,powerful,metallic...and you can basically hear/feel the recoil on that war machine:cool:

and the RO2 mg sound is like: pew pew...meh...thats all?...pew pew...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yes please!
That would help teamplay a lot!!!

(cause SL would start to mark targets for their commander, knowing they get points for it!)

Oh, didn't notice that utek mentioned that bit as well.

Agree completely, again and again. I've been playing SL quite a lot lately (both Realism and Classic), and the game really discourages taking any serious effort in getting good coordinates. It doesn't reward the knowledge of how to do it right, and you aren't rewarded if you take risks to get the coordinates either.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the drum magazine take longer to reload than the stick magazines?
if you meant does it take longer to reload the ppsh with a drum, than it does with stick magazines, then the answer is no. absolutely not. i have a suomi that the russians copied and it's jusyt as fast to load a drum as a stick.
now if you really did mean reload the drum compared to the stick, yes. it takes longer. but, since we have no magazine loading animations and all mags are magically instantly loaded at the resupply points, it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0