• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flashlight, fix it, we all want it fixed.

Mkilbride2599

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
I've seen several topics, and I'll make another one.

Currently the Flashlight is near useless on some maps. It doesn't illuminate that much, it's very unrealistic in the way it hits surfaces, you can see banding on the light source itself(ruins immersion), and some Weapons that don't have flashlights are just annoying. Though I can understand why, it's cool to have to switch to a gun with a Flashlight attached, more immersion...still frustrating.

Also, it has what, less than a minute battery? Is that so you'll be afraid when it goes out and you can't see ANYTHING? Sorry, this is like ZP:S for me, it doesn't scare me, it only pisses me off, as any 2$ store bought Flashlight can last 6-12 hours easily. These are professional military men for crying out loud. Sure, the Flashlights magically recharge, so I guess that's ok ,but I'd rather have a better light source.

Some places are actually harder to see WITH the Flashlight, and I'm talking dark rooms. This is unacceptable.

There are only 3 places ingame where you actually need a flashlight.

1 = in some of the stairs on office. just use your pistol with flashlight to move trough them. Then switch back to your main weapon when the next wave spawns.

2 = the basement on west london. Same as above. use pistol to navigate.

3 = inside some of the buildings on farm. again, same as above.

you want to avoid these completely dark areas during waves anyway so no need for flashlights on every weapon.

also, the outdoors of farm isnt that dark. i have the light on in my room and after running outdoors on farm for about 20 seconds in the dark fields, my eyes are arleady adjusted and it's actually bright enough to see all the enemies. And yes I have default gamma settings. No tinkering there.

other than that I do find the flashlight very helpful in those places and while it might not be completely realistic, it does it's job and allows you to navigate the completely dark areas with little trouble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you run out of battery, you can fire your weapon and the muzzle flash will illuminate anything near you within a 5-foot radius for a split second. I only had to fire my weapon for illumination once, when my team decided to camp the basement in West London... and it was a very bad idea. :eek:

Upvote 0
Well, it lasts way more than HL2 flashlight for example ...
And they probably made it "not infinite" just to avoid people to keep it switched on all the time.

1min is olways enough, use it just when you need it and you'll be fine.

HL2's Flashlight lasts for about the same and Recharge within 5 seconds. KF's Flashlight takes about the same time it takes for it to loose the charge. IT also does not illuminate areas well.

KF_Farm for example, it is SO dark on that map, in the field you cannot see your model at all in some parts. Now yer going to say it's my Gamma / Brightness / Contrast settings. These have been adjusted to the perfect standard using professional graphical tools for just the right balance, and is fine in most games. At present, BioTec & Farm are very difficult. BioTec used to be way more lighted, now some areas are very dark and hard to see.

I find that TWI has removed alot of atmosphere from the game. I find the things you can see much scarier than things you can't.

Flashlight Attachment sounds like a good idea. Maybe a Commando perk could get them to start with it?

The Flashlight Attachment could be added to the Bullpup, cause I mean cmon, the makers of RO couldn't put what any actual soldier would have in dark areas, especially on their main gun?

They could also add a Shoulder light, like some people use these days, so you could use it with any gun and it'd still be realisitc. Again, this could be purchasble from the Merchant.

Upvote 0
Now yer going to say it's my Gamma / Brightness / Contrast settings. These have been adjusted to the perfect standard using professional graphical tools for just the right balance, and is fine in most games.
Ok, so you used professional graphical tools (like, say, test images...:rolleyes:) to get the perfect balance. Good for you, but there is a little something that should tell you it's not "just right" just yet: We all see fine on KF-Farm and you don't.
I assume you didn't adjust the in-game brightness setting using "professional tools". So I suggest you increase the brightness there until you can see through the darkness.

Upvote 0
I've seen several topics, and I'll make another one.

Currently the Flashlight is near useless on some maps. It doesn't illuminate that much, it's very unrealistic in the way it hits surfaces, you can see banding on the light source itself(ruins immersion), and some Weapons that don't have flashlights are just annoying. Though I can understand why, it's cool to have to switch to a gun with a Flashlight attached, more immersion...still frustrating.

Also, it has what, less than a minute battery? Is that so you'll be afraid when it goes out and you can't see ANYTHING? Sorry, this is like ZP:S for me, it doesn't scare me, it only pisses me off, as any 2$ store bought Flashlight can last 6-12 hours easily. These are professional military men for crying out loud. Sure, the Flashlights magically recharge, so I guess that's ok ,but I'd rather have a better light source.

Some places are actually harder to see WITH the Flashlight, and I'm talking dark rooms. This is unacceptable.

Killing Floor engine does not have per pixel lighting, so any of the illumination you are seeing is a combination of an additive projected texture overtop of a simple dynamic light causing Gourad shading effects on the meshes it comes in contact with.

here is a useful explanation for the more technically inclined (you may wanna skip this over, kilbride)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourad_shading

It still works pretty well in most cases, but yeah, it can sometimes cause odd or uneven illumination (SEE GOURAD SHADING EXAMPLE FOR EXPLUNASHUN)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing that bothers me about the flash light is that it seems to have an opposite effect of what it should..

more often than not it makes it impossible for me to see ANYTHING as opposed to illuminating the situation

its so damn bright its disturbing..no flash light looks like that from the perspective of the person shining it

Upvote 0
The otherwise decent graphics are ruined by the absolutely retarded flashlight. I know this is an old engine, but even some of the oldest modernish games I can remember have much better looking flashlights (old game like swat4 ect... original source games.)

It looks terrible, hardly lights anything up and the way it lights things up makes no sense, it doesn't look remotely liek a real flashlight beam.

There's no excuse for such a terribad flashlight especially with some of the dark areas in the game.

Why the hell can't it look like a normal freakin flashlight:
http://lostmoya.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/swat4ads.jpg

If the engine can't even muster a flashlight that looks as good as the original hl2 light then it's a ridiculous choice of a game engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Chicken

Chicken

Not that I know much myself but I think moving the game to a new engine would take an age of time and work for the purpose of better lighting. Once you are moderately familiar with the map you can navigate without the light anyway. Not to mention the fact that the dark places in the map are particularly hard to fight in and so it's not much use being there anyway. (With the exception of the trader)

If there was a KF update tomorow I would rather it fixed various bugs and exploits than adding realistic lighting and a few supernatural posters.

Upvote 0