• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Flare revolvers and Pipe bombs!

Don Draper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I have been mucking around kiting as FB, i really like the combination of FB and 2 flare pistols only.
It is really fast, i tried it in combo with katana, but it reduces the speed just a tad to much, even though it is handy.

I tend to start as Demo 6 to spawn with 2 pipes, and then switch to FB wave 2.
(even the pipes make a noticeable speed decrease)

I keep the Pipes till wave 7 and lay one out for every FP i cross, and buy as needed after that.

I can kite the FP with the flare, but it takes too long, pipe is instantaneous. or HoE pipe and 12 flare shots.

Only problem i have, and im not sure if it is a Bug?
But Flare pistols explode pipes very very easily.

And i dont just mean, you shoot them, you only have to shoot over them and they explode! it is kind of frustrating on wave 8 when it happens.

Are they too sensative?

And is anyone else Kiting with just dual flare pistols? It is a great combo.

Better than a Medic/Zerk i think, FB/zerk seems to get the job done alot quicker. (although it is expensive to load both pistols and get armour everyround)

Pipes will explode if you shoot your own pipes with a 9mm (possibly other guns too? Never really tried).

I would guess either flares count as "pistols", or just that all guns can explode your own pipes.

It's not normally a big problem because you need to be aiming to hit a pipe with an assault rifle or something, but flares have a blast radius, so I guess if they clip a pipe it'll go off?

And it sounds a good loadout. I used to love kiting as a bug with a MAC-10. You can't kill scrakes or above, but almost anything else you just have to clip it and it'll die.

And yes, zerk+shooting class works great, as long as you're well coordinated. The zerk can go first to clear the way, and the shooter can hang back and take pot shots at the stuff behind. You need to be a good enough team though that the zerker doesn't outpace the shooter, and the shooter doesn't kill too quickly such that the zerker runs into difficulties.

The disadvantage of kiting with a bug is that it's more pricey. Certainly before the patch, a zerker just bought a katana (like

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Noteworthy about using flares on pipes is that a single flare can set off several pipes at once. That is really useful on the demo when setting up bigger pipe stacks like on the patty. Or for less serious applications like blowing yourself through that roof opening on Skells testmap.^^

Personally I don't like duals much, because of the long reload. But generally flares are enourmously powerful for fire kiting. I like to have a single flare on my medic loadout for lazy mode.

What doesn't sound very appealing to me with the idea of dual flare only firebug is that if you risk to burn-rage scrakes accidentally, you should bring something to take care of the mess you might cause. Speaking of crispy scrakes that come running out of nowhere into other players faces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
even the pipes make a noticeable speed decrease
Oh come one, you're really saying that you can feel 1% speed change?

Only problem i have, and im not sure if it is a Bug?
But Flare pistols explode pipes very very easily.
Flare pistols have a large projective volume and they create a small explosion upon impact, and that makes it extra easy to detonate a pipe compared to guns. But the real bug when using it to detonate pipes is getting double damage from pipe explosion :D
What doesn't sound very appealing to me with the idea of dual flare only firebug is that if you risk to burn-rage scrakes accidentally, you should bring something to take care of the mess you might cause.
Wel, to be honest, dual flares are so overpowered that you only need to unload the mag into general area of scrake's head to kill him.

I like going extra light as firebug - only one flare pistol and that's it :) Great speed, fire immunity, ammo galore and a powerful weapon that can easily kill anything smaller than SC - all that guarantees nice survivability and trash clearing potential. Also, single flare can be actually aimed with and take medium-range headshots ending in ridiculous but quite satisfying zed explosion :D Also, you can usually defend yourself from a raged scrake if it was somewhat damaged or is 4-player health or less.

Upvote 0
Oh come one, you're really saying that you can feel 1% speed change?

I think so, im not sure how they work out the speeds. But i felt slower, enough to bother me.

Flare pistols have a large projective volume and they create a small explosion upon impact, and that makes it extra easy to detonate a pipe compared to guns. But the real bug when using it to detonate pipes is getting double damage from pipe explosion :D
Wel, to be honest, dual flares are so overpowered that you only need to unload the mag into general area of scrake's head to kill him.

They are insane.
I might give try it by using single flare, pipes and shooting the pipe if what you say is true. X2 damage on pipes..nice.

I like going extra light as firebug - only one flare pistol and that's it :) Great speed, fire immunity, ammo galore and a powerful weapon that can easily kill anything smaller than SC - all that guarantees nice survivability and trash clearing potential. Also, single flare can be actually aimed with and take medium-range headshots ending in ridiculous but quite satisfying zed explosion :D Also, you can usually defend yourself from a raged scrake if it was somewhat damaged or is 4-player health or less.

I think i might go, singleflame pistol and katana, stun scrake and 6 flare shots? wonder if that will work. and pipe the FP with flare psitol.

Upvote 0
I think i might go, singleflame pistol and katana, stun scrake and 6 flare shots? wonder if that will work. and pipe the FP with flare psitol.

Not on healthy 6player health hoe SC for sure, but if SC for some reason rages at you, stopping him with katana flinch and firing flares is a good idea. If you'll have to reload you'll take some damage, but probably still survive.

Upvote 0
Flare Revolvers have a small radius AoE damage which makes them a perfect candidate for setting off grenades or pipes. Other weapons such as Demo's M4/M203, Schneidzekk, Bile Thrower, Flame Thrower and many others can set your own pipes too.
As for offperk Katana, Scrakes get mini-flinch from attacks that are higher than 150 damage; that allows you to body shot flinch him with any zerk weapon besides prochete, which requires you to land a headchop with alternate fire.

Upvote 0
Flinch is what i mean i think.

Alt attack stuns scrake, the 2 Flare shots and Dead, works well. And the was from in front. (like the AXE alt combo with Support)
I gave it a try. I can't do it better than losing 50% armor and 15% health. That's more like an emergency combo imho. Even the mando can do katana-flinched scrakes with less suffering or sometimes even without getting a scratch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I gave it a try. I can't do it better than losing 50% armor and 15% health. That's more like an emergency combo imho. Even the mando can do katana-flinched scrakes with less suffering or sometimes even without getting a scratch.

I might have done it on 1 man HoE in Test map, i thought it was 6 man though?

Ill try it again and confirm. I thought i did it pretty easy.

EDIT:
Ok, tested it again, single player HoE it works easy, Flinch and 3 shots single pistol, no problem. (you have to be quick, and im not quick either, but can do it with concentration)

With 6 man HoE, it does not work, you need double psitols and still need to drop the whole lot into his head.
In that situation you may as well hit him with 2 flare rounds, reload and hit him with the other 12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think so, im not sure how they work out the speeds. But i felt slower, enough to bother me.

movementspeed2tao8t.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0