• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First impressions from RO veteran

I'm only going to touch on the Iron sights and the sprinting.

Sprinting is fine. The true problem is you're not really aware the ranges you're running. A sprint from one end of apartments to the other is 100m. That's not going to throw of your ability to maintain a hold on your target at ranges less than 200m. It's just not. I know people would love to believe that rifle control suddenly becomes uncontrollably sporadic when you're moving or winded, but that's simply not the case. It isn't the case now, and we wear more equipment than the men from that era.

This leads me into my next point, the iron sights are also fine. Once you lock the butt stock of a weapon into your shoulder pocket your sight alignment really becomes a non issue. Also, we are talking about naked 8 pound rifles here. No M203s, no RCO, no PEQ-15s, no nothing. Just a naked 8 pound rifle. The K98 is only 4 inches longer than a M16, and not even a half pound heaver loaded.

RO1 was not realistic people. I cannot stress this enough to you. Did it have some realistic elements? Sure! I see all of those in RO2 with all of the fat trimmed. Let's not go backwards simply because of incorrect conditioning and misinformation. If anything RO2 moved away from failed attempt at simulation to promising steps in the right direction.

Also, the iron sights sway after holding your breath too long and while unsupported in this game. Look across Fallen Fighters standing and sighted.

-Paas

Which Unit you in?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm only going to touch on the Iron sights and the sprinting.

Sprinting is fine. The true problem is you're not really aware the ranges you're running. A sprint from one end of apartments to the other is 100m. That's not going to throw of your ability to maintain a hold on your target at ranges less than 200m. It's just not. I know people would love to believe that rifle control suddenly becomes uncontrollably sporadic when you're moving or winded, but that's simply not the case. It isn't the case now, and we wear more equipment than the men from that era.

This leads me into my next point, the iron sights are also fine. Once you lock the butt stock of a weapon into your shoulder pocket your sight alignment really becomes a non issue. Also, we are talking about naked 8 pound rifles here. No M203s, no RCO, no PEQ-15s, no nothing. Just a naked 8 pound rifle. The K98 is only 4 inches longer than a M16, and not even a half pound heaver loaded.

RO1 was not realistic people. I cannot stress this enough to you. Did it have some realistic elements? Sure! I see all of those in RO2 with all of the fat trimmed. Let's not go backwards simply because of incorrect conditioning and misinformation. If anything RO2 moved away from failed attempt at simulation to promising steps in the right direction.

Also, the iron sights sway after holding your breath too long and while unsupported in this game. Look across Fallen Fighters standing and sighted, and that's only at 200 - 250m! Imagine when the larger maps come into play!

-Paas

I don't know if you've noticed, but RO2 isn't exactly realistic anyway. take the uberbandages. Please don't pretend that more sway when exhausted will be the thing that makes RO2 unrealistic

Alot of things have been changed in RO2 from RO1, mostly to apparently improve 'playability'. I realize that playability for you may mean something else than for me, but I think we both should be able to voice our opinion

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- every soldier has a pistol
why such ahistorical nonsense? in all older ROs, pistols were given only to NCOs, snipers and machinegunners as it was in ww2 (and not all NCOs, snipers and machinegunners had one)
Oh noes! How dare Tripwire give people more options to defend themselves! Oh wait, admins can decide who to give the pistols and revolvers to.

- all soldiers are uberathelts
this was mentioned by many people before and I must agree - you can sprint much longer than you should. Please, fix at least this...
What's an athelt? Oh wait, athlete. Well, we can perhaps assume that these guys are trained professionals who can get further than 10 metres without going "Mein gott! I'm exhausted!", and if not, eh, at the end of the day it has to be a fun game, taking forever to get to the frontline is not fun. I can see why they gave the soldiers more stamina in RO2. But I'm sure there'll be mods in no time that give soldiers less stamina, it's not a very tasking thing to mod.

- even more informative map
this horse was beaten to death on this forum - Devs, will you give us an option (server based) to disable this magic GPS google map in ww2? I loved map_and_compass in the mod days...
Adversity towards change much? This doesn't really seem like a very intrusive change to me, especially since the minimap isn't ~that~ useful and if you really want to get your bearings straight you'll still have to pull up the real map like in the old days.

- colorful icons poping up everywhere
yes, it helps players to know what they have to do and encourages the teamplay and the use of NCO, but it do not fit to "realism" gameplay of RO
I really don't see the problem here, it coordinates gameplay, and helps people stay or get to where they need to go, especially on larger maps in Ostfront it could be a nightmare to get anything done since the players would fan out a bit too much. But again, either a toggle from Tripwire themselves or a mod can fix this easily, I wouldn't want the feature removed for ~all~ servers/players. I like to not be the only one sitting on an objective for a change.

- "dead" environment
I would expect more interactive enviroment, the old RO was also "dead", but it is not 2009 anymore...
If you were being realistic about your gameplay you wouldn't even consider wasting ammo on chairs or desks. =p That said, in the final game tanks will be punching holes into buildings with their main cannon so be careful what you wish for.

- I really hate axis icon (the green something with iron cross)
it is minor issue, but it disturbs me every time I see it. If you, devs, want to be politically correct, why didn't you use the balkankreuz instead?
I don't really see where you're even getting the illusion from that Tripwire wishes to be politically correct considering the slurs and insults the two parties throw at each other during gameplay.

All and all, I do not regret my money, the game is fun, I like it, but it ceased to be the old RO I loved. It made big step from simulation towards cinematic gameplay. I understand TWI, they want to get more from the mainstream market, but guys, you are losing the small, but loyal market of military history buffs and realism freaks like myself.
I wouldn't worry too much, you forget that Tripwire themselves are major WWII fanatics. And while I appreciated the cold realism of RO, I also understand and even appreciate most of the changes they made towards RO2 to make the game more accessible while still being much more cold and realistic than most, if not all of its competitors.

And I'll repeat, the mod tools will be there, everyone will be capable of changing the game to become the perfect hybrid of Ostfront and Heroes of Stalingrad. But I figure it's easier to lure in new fans with RO2 as it is and then perhaps ease them towards more realistic mods rather than keeping it exactly like it was in Ostfront and losing many potential customers due to it being "too hard" and "dull", better to give them a good and fun first impression and then educate them, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I don't know if you've noticed, but RO2 isn't exactly realistic anyway. take the uberbandages. Please don't pretend that more sway when exhausted will be the thing that makes RO2 unrealistic

Alot of things have been changed in RO2 from RO1, mostly to apparently improve 'playability'. I realize that playability for you may mean something else than for me, but I think we both should be able to voice our opinion

It's simply that you call Realism in things that are actually not Realism.
And whine that they are not implemented in the Unrealistic way you want them to.

Reactions: BadKarma
Upvote 0
Words are replacable and evryone knows what you and your friends are aiming at. Sry!

I'm actually not. Some people do, but I don't.

I just feel that, you guys are entitled feel that the sway when winded is optimal for playability, and that I'm entitled to feel more sway would increase it.

RO1 had more sway when winded, and alot of players here are RO1 fans. That combined with the fact that TWI chose to put hardcore

Upvote 0

I won't pretend. I actually believe more weapon sway is pointless and is moving away from realism. I have stated many times that there isn't a problem adding a bit more sway to the winded side of the stamina bar. That was before I actually took more time to examine the current sway and realized it does its job fine. No changes are needed in this department.

Playability has improved, but that's just because it was gimped by the initial overzealous, unrealistic, and silly realism attempt from the previous game. I see the change is jarring, but that's what also got me to purchase the game. RO1 kinda' felt like a rip off, thus I spent more time in ArmA land.

...and I already admitted that the medical system is wonky. I still think it's better than having nothing. I don't want to bleed out from a shot to the shoulder when I could just plug the hole and let it clot.

-Paas

Upvote 0
again sway is just fine...do you sway in real life so much???

I dunno about you, but my Mosin Nagant is a heavy rifle. I cannot imagine carrying that, plus ammo, plus any other supplies, and then being able to run for the distances you can, and have it not affect how I aim such a heavy weapon.

That is exactly what happened back then. I don't mean to sound unfriendly, but I dislike the notion of COD casuals dictating the direction of one of my favorite game series.

This pretty much.

Upvote 0
I dunno about you, but my Mosin Nagant is a heavy rifle. I cannot imagine carrying that, plus ammo, plus any other supplies, and then being able to run for the distances you can, and have it not affect how I aim such a heavy weapon.

This pretty much.
you saying a trained soldier can not carry ammo and shoot straight(with little sway)sway is perfect it makes game more fun

Reactions: BadKarma
Upvote 0
you saying a trained soldier can not carry ammo and shoot straight(with little sway)sway is perfect it makes game more fun

Many men during WWII weren't exactly well trained soldiers.

And also 'more fun' is a bit subjective.

I'm glad you find the default mode fun, that's probably why it is there, but between the Relaxed, hardcore and custom modes TWI has added, I would think there could be room for people who want more sway.

Upvote 0

This pretty much.

A Loaded M44 is .21lbs heavier than a loaded M16a4. A M38 is 1.29lbs lighter than an loaded M16a4. A M91/30 is .01lbs heavier than an loaded M16a4.

Basically, no, it's not a heavy weapon. This lack of heft is one of the main reasons it's known to shock untrained shooters and potential injure their shoulder. There is not much rifle there to absorb the recoil. Not to mention wooden furniture has never been the hallmark of comfort.

-Paas

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this OP serious? I'm actually having trouble figuring out if it is or just sarcasm.

Some of the points are legitimate, but most of it is just the oversight of the poster. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound cynical and rude but if the OP really played RO then I would assume they've kept up with RO2 information during development and up to now.

He/she should know that this is still just the beta, that many of the things he has trouble will will be configurable by the servers in the end game and that he's only been able to play relaxed realism mode up too now & not the more classic RO extreme realism mode.

Upvote 0