• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2D Art Female FleshPound

sorry to hear that hipnox.

I am going to provide you with a link that should help resolve your issue.
There are also video tutorials at the bottom of the page on how to properly install the script. Good Luck !

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Unreal_psk_psa[url]http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Unreal_psk_psa[/URL]

That's the plugin i was using. It doesn't work well at all.

The most i managed to do was get an object with custom animation into KF SDK.

I can't make an animation for an existing model nor i can't make a model to use existing animations.

Upvote 0
Ahh man, that's a bummer. I'm sure there has to be someone on here who can help out. Too bad Max3ds from TF2 couldn't help out. The french guy sure knows a thing or two about making custom animations. Just hang in there. Im sure there has to be something that will make things work. Your drawing and 3d model, are both beautiful, so just hang in there champ, we'll find a way to make things right lol

Upvote 0
yeah

yeah

I agree with Civil exactly. You are not alone here, we are a community. I myself and researching some ideas on the Blender side of this issue. Script tweaks, function calls, that sort of thing.

Also, I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but have you tried doing the animations as FK instead of IK then trying to export ?

Upvote 0
You won't be able to use existing animations. Animations are unique to the rigs as far as the engine is concerned, there is no IK or mocap information. You'd either have to rig the model to an existing skeleton or do the animations from scratch. But if you get yourself a copy of motionbuilder, pickup a kinect for cheap you can make your own basic mocap that you can then refine. ;) That should be fun.

EDIT
Also, you can animate in anyway you want. ActorX only exports a frame by frame position of the bones, so IK information is lost. But you can use it to animate no problem. The original rigs that you get with KF have IK targets for moment. They used standard CAT rigs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You won't be able to use existing animations. Animations are unique to the rigs as far as the engine is concerned, there is no IK or mocap information. You'd either have to rig the model to an existing skeleton or do the animations from scratch. But if you get yourself a copy of motionbuilder, pickup a kinect for cheap you can make your own basic mocap that you can then refine. ;) That should be fun.

EDIT
Also, you can animate in anyway you want. ActorX only exports a frame by frame position of the bones, so IK information is lost. But you can use it to animate no problem. The original rigs that you get with KF have IK targets for moment. They used standard CAT rigs.

When i tried using default animations, i was using the original KF armature. I rigged the Female Fleshpound over the original Fleshpound Armature.

The animations broke.

Then i tried the same thing with the bullpup. Imported the skeleton, Slightly modified the gun and exported it into the SDK.

The animations broke.

I even tried importing and exporting the clot's PSK without even touching it.

The animations broke.

I was able to make a simple walking cycle for the Female Fleshpound and exported it into the SDK, replacing the Clot and it's walking animation.

It worked (well, up until i shot it, it died and the game crashed to desktop :p)

What i take from this is that blender's exported armatures (regardless of their origin) are not compatible with the .psa animations already existing in the game, despite using the exact same armature, bone names, scale and location. It probably has to do with the way rotations and positions are stored or something. Might even have to do with the difference between lefthanded and righthanded coordinates in blender and the sdk.

Apparently, what i CAN do is make a working animations for newly created models.

So, i can't make new models for characters, weapons and specimens unless i make all the animations from scratch (or i find someone with 3Dstudio willing to export my models into the SDK)

I'll probably start a new thread on the modding section. I think it's time i start gather a team or ask around for the how-to's on making a mutator, makeing the materials and stuff.

Currently, i need to learn out how to do the following.

> How to add the female fleshpound via mutator [possibly make a mutator that replaces all specimens with FMFP for testing purposes]
> How to add materials to the game and assign them to the various parts [ 3 material textures total]
> How to code the animations into the game
> How to make the walk+attack animation. For what i can see in the SDK, there aren't any, which means the game is probably merging the walking animations on the legs with the attack animation on the upper body.
> How to make the ragdolls corpse
> How to add the head hitbox
> How to make the dismemberment effects
> How to code the female fleshpound to make her a functional specimen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Interesting. What method did you guys use over at WPC to get the custom mesh and animations for the "Alien Queen" to work ? If you didn't use Blender and instead used 3dsMax or Maya, could that mean that the issue truly revolves around incompatibility within Blender? Also, would it not be possible to just try and figure out a way to export to a different animation suite that plays nicer with the KFed?

I've been scouring the Blender/Unreal forums recently to see what others have said, but haven't come across anything that helpful or informative yet.

Upvote 0
I'm betting this is the reason why blender armatures don't work

axiserror.jpg

Upvote 0
dangit blender.

dangit blender.

hipnox,

from what I can tell, Blender has issues with exporting PSKs on all levels, but not PSAs. I know that you are probably comfortable with using Blender, but I have an offer to make. Somewhere around, I should still have my copy of 3Ds Max 2009. I don't use this program anymore, and never really got that good with it. If I remember correctly, it is a student edition copy with a free license because it was part of the FullSail Academy online animation class, and was a standalone installer. However, I'm not sure if I still have a copy of service pack 1 for it that expanded IK handling and SDK export issues. It shouldn't be too hard to find online again though. If you want, I can try to see if I can find it and send you a copy. I don't remember it being that big and think that it fit only on a single cd, (the student repository only had it as a downloadable folder) which I later burned for archival purposes. Plus, you should be able to import everything that you have already done in Blender over to 3Ds with no issues and most modders here have been using 3Ds successfully with little to no problems importing into KFed (someone correct me here if I'm wrong).

If you want me to see if I can find my copy of it, just let me know. Afterwards, we can work out the details on how to get it to you. I refuse to allow Blender to kill this project :D. I will stand behind and support you the whole way. WE WILL NOT BE DEFEATED !!!

Upvote 0
Interesting. What method did you guys use over at WPC to get the custom mesh and animations for the "Alien Queen" to work ? If you didn't use Blender and instead used 3dsMax or Maya, could that mean that the issue truly revolves around incompatibility within Blender? Also, would it not be possible to just try and figure out a way to export to a different animation suite that plays nicer with the KFed?

I've been scouring the Blender/Unreal forums recently to see what others have said, but haven't come across anything that helpful or informative yet.

the issue is Blender, great program in almost every way, but when it comes to porting content to an engine, especially with Unreal engines as old as the KF one.. you're kinda screwed unless you can fix the plugins yourself or port it to a program like Max for exporting.

Upvote 0
SNIP

> How to add the female fleshpound via mutator [possibly make a mutator that replaces all specimens with FMFP for testing purposes]
> How to add materials to the game and assign them to the various parts [ 3 material textures total]
> How to code the animations into the game
> How to make the walk+attack animation. For what i can see in the SDK, there aren't any, which means the game is probably merging the walking animations on the legs with the attack animation on the upper body.
> How to make the ragdolls corpse
> How to add the head hitbox
> How to make the dismemberment effects
> How to code the female fleshpound to make her a functional specimen

Ok, just making sure.
Did you try selecting 'assume maya coordinates' on the import?

>I'll update my tutorial for getting zeds into game at some point.
>In the animations browser, in the mesh tab in properties, is a section called materials. You'll have id's 0-2
>Import the psa, link it to the mesh. Define animations in monster class file.
>Handled by the code.
>Look up KARMA in the UDN, this should show you how to do it. (KARMA is a funny thing though so be sure to read up on it)
>Handled by code, basicly performs a radial check using the head bone as a point of reference.
>Create a static mesh of the body part in question, define what part it is in code. On dismemberment the code spawns the body part and shrinks the existing parts to none. (Giving the impression of the part coming off.)
>Start by looking at the Fleshpound and it's parent classes, this will give you some idea of where to start. If you get stuck, just shout out.

We use 3DSMax. Hippnox sent me what he's done and I've been playing with trying to get it into max but if it's not one thing that breaks it's another. XD. Blender just doesn't like to play ball in that regard.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, thank you all for your support. I wouldn't have made it this far if it weren't for you.

@Sanguivore, i appreciate you willing to donate a copy of 3dstudio to the cause, but as far as i can tell, i don't think i'll need it. Using a blender skeleton with default psa animations doesn't work, but new animations do.
I was able to import a fully functional Bullpup model with working animations to KF successfully. Since the Female Fleshpound uses a totally diferent skeleton, i will have to make all animations from scratch, which works.

If there is a thing keeping me from finishing this (aside from my nonexisting animation abilites) is not blender, but TWI itself.

With every update, i've grown to dislike TWI more and more. They seem to have totally forsaken their hardcore player base and no longer give a rat's arse for balancing. Both this game, and this developer ar but a shadow of what they used to be. A complete disregard for their loyal fan base, inexistent communication with the community, hostile and unresponsive to criticism, no attempts to address issues that have plagued the game since release and we, the community, have been asking for years. Heavy enphasis on adding tangible yet superfluous content in an attempt to milk the last drop out of this game, all at the expense of balance, gameplay, challenge and style.

What is the point of releasing my "anti-zerker" Fleshpound when not even a week ago, they release the DWARF!? axe! Now a zerker can air juggle her skinny arse up against a wall, even while raged. Dwarf Axe, M99, Buzzsaw, all point to the same simple fact that TWI either doesn't care about balance, or is no longer able/capable of balancing their own game.

Not to mention TWI changed the zed code somewhere and broke all custom zed mods. Imagine if i had released her 2 days before the update, and all of the sudden BAM!, your mod doesn't work!

Why would i even bother? Three months from now TWI might break the code again or release a new OP weapon that completely ruins gameplay balance.

I don't know guys. I'm really not feeling motivated to go on right now. Not with this developers. Not with this game.

I'm currently dedicating all my efforts into learning UNITY and attempting to create a game. Finishing this mod would take me a lot of effort and time, which apparently is much better spent making a game for myself than modding a game that grows stupider with every update and a developer who just doesn't care. I don't want to support TWI . Why would i even bother making this mod, for free, to support a developer i don't even like anymore?

not going to happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh noes...

oh noes...

Sorry to hear that you are that frustrated right now with KF and TWI. I myself am not currently that happy with their current "update" situation. But I have been in this boat before with other online games (WOW is a prime example and was terrible about breaking mods). That is the very reason why I keep my server locked at patch 1039 and refuse to upgrade any time soon. It's my regular Steam copy that is current and I only use it for achievements and the TWI seasonal events (this copy gets less than 10% of my current play time.).

Finishing this mod would take me a lot of effort and time, which apparently is much better spent making a game for myself than modding a game that grows stupider with every update and a developer who just doesn't care. I don't want to support TWI . Why would i even bother making this mod, for free, to support a developer i don't even like anymore?

The only thing that bothers me about this statement is that the community does not mod a game to benefit the company perse' , but for the community as a whole. We make mods, test mods, help others troubleshoot mod issues, etc. to benefit the community. It is a lot of work, and problems will always arise. That's why we as a community need to always stay vigilant and supportive to each other. Companies don't dictate the direction of the industry or the lifespan of a game, the end user base does, WE do.

In the end, the decision will always be yours. Whatever you decide, I will support. But if you do decide that this is something that you do not wish to pursue any further, please at least consider not letting the project completely die and put it in the hands of the community to finish. Take care.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that you are that frustrated right now with KF and TWI. I myself am not currently that happy with their current "update" situation. But I have been in this boat before with other online games (WOW is a prime example and was terrible about breaking mods).

I would probably not be as angry if it were the first time this happened. TF2, L4D, Combat Arms, and more, all games that have been either forsaken or milked beyond recognition by greede devs. KF now joins their ranks.

The only thing that bothers me about this statement is that the community does not mod a game to benefit the company perse' , but for the community as a whole. We make mods, test mods, help others troubleshoot mod issues, etc. to benefit the community. It is a lot of work, and problems will always arise. That's why we as a community need to always stay vigilant and supportive to each other. Companies don't dictate the direction of the industry or the lifespan of a game, the end user base does, WE do.

In the end, the decision will always be yours. Whatever you decide, I will support. But if you do decide that this is something that you do not wish to pursue any further, please at least consider not letting the project completely die and put it in the hands of the community to finish. Take care.

Yeah, my last paragraphs might have sounded a little douchy. I was angry and venting and i'm not very good with words.

I respect the modding community and have nothing against them. They are a good bunch. They've helped me many times before and i've given out advise from time to time.

The player community, on the other hand, has been less than pleasant, to me at least. I found myself on the minority every time i speak of balance, propose changes or question TWI decisions and actions. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of hostility from the so called "casual" players and even some TWI representatives. When a Dev or company spokesperson replies with negativity and hostility to you constructive criticism, you know it's time to leave the forum, the game and never look back.

EDIT: removed. Should not post while venting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is the point of releasing my "anti-zerker" Fleshpound when not even a week ago, they release the DWARF!? axe! Now a zerker can air juggle her skinny arse up against a wall, even while raged. Dwarf Axe, M99, Buzzsaw, all point to the same simple fact that TWI either doesn't care about balance, or is no longer able/capable of balancing their own game.
Cant the Shepound have a clash with a melee weapon when she swings her arms? That would stop a zerk from hitting her leaving them open, no matter what weapon.
(Im thinking of Soul Calibur here)
Also i dont like the idea of headshotting a FP in the face when he has a metal plate on him.

Not to mention TWI changed the zed code somewhere and broke all custom zed mods. Imagine if i had released her 2 days before the update, and all of the sudden BAM!, your mod doesn't work!
Classy Gorefast was just release i think 2 days before the update, even if its a "Quick and dirty mod" ~ DevArt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Classy Gorefast was just release i think 2 days before the update, even if its a "Quick and dirty mod" ~ DevArt

I coded that one, and had no heads up before hand, the only reason he works, which was more by luck than design, is because of the manner in which he's called on. He replaces the existing gorefast, rather than being added into a squads.

The established methods have been busted, but I'm sure someone will come up with a new method soon enough.

Upvote 0