• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Extracting LOD Meshes from Cooked UPKs

I'm not sure. I do know that when I import the .pskx that umodel extracts, all I can see is the base LOD. Perhaps I need to have a better look at the ActorXImporter plugin. I've sent a PM to Xendance of the Rising Storm Team to ask for the source files of the LODs of some certain meshes, so hopefully I won't need to figure some fancy workaround to get the LODs out of the packages.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I am trying to make better-optimized versions of the meshes in ENV_RS_Bamboo so LOD generation methods are out of the question. I just want to make a fourth LOD level which is just the bamboo stalks without any leaves. Bit of a wierd optimization, I know, but it suits my particular purpose well.

Well, the big "IF" is you can get the missing two before adding your own.

Taking it a step further... recommend taking 2x printscreens at 90 deg of the bamboo in the mesh viewer, make two planes (2 polys each) and make a new low rez/ no transparency (128x128) LOD texture+material from your screenies. Apply them to the sheets and you have a 4 poly bamboo shoot. True the engine has to unload the previous material/model, but the gains are worth the expense IMO.

Upvote 0
I thought of doing just that, but then I thought it might look sort of odd and the LOD transition might be a bit jarring since the bamboo meshes are clusters of slightly-curved shoots rather than single isolated straight trees. I think the card-trees would work well for things like conifers and other straight trees, but I don't think that it would work well with the meshes in ENV_RS_Bamboo.

This isn't an optimization that is absolutely essential to get my map to work (it's set at night time, with the same fog setup and color lookup table as Guadalcanal to limit the max draw distance), but I think it would be nice to make better-optimized meshes so I can get those 150m+ engagements.

Upvote 0
Well..

I tried 3DVIA printscreen and Ninja Ripper, neither were able to extract anything. Ninja did load the editor, with an interface very similar to 3Dripper, however yielded no exports with any/all settings selected. Even gave Game Assassin a go, but it is in Chinese and have no idea what does what. Be cool if umodel included LOD extraction, yet it is the only tool that seems to work at this time for even base models.

Guess making your own LODs is the way to go, unless your requests were answered.

Upvote 0
Question hope this is in right area. I am tring to pull out rocks and basic props to tweak in ShaderMap 4 Pro Commercial software. I want to ad depth to objects like some did to Skyrim. Static Mesh etc. Be free of course. Having trouble pulling anything out to alter depth to it. Notice we can make new maps. ShaderMap4 does alot even Lua.

Upvote 0