• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extended Skill Tree

Actually, I do believe that would be a neat idea. Having a simple "A or B" option doesn't feel that rewarding... Even more so when it seems one option is always better than the other.

Now the wisest move would be to try to balance the existing skill trees before thinking about adding anything. But I really believe that having more options for every perk would be highly beneficial, and increase the replay value (and the mixups).

But well, judging by the fact that the existing perks and skill trees are still not perfected after 5 years of development, you can forget about having five extra skills for EVERY perk... Hell, that's 50 skills to think about !

Reactions: Kloster
Upvote 0
Perks are in dire need of simplicity and consistency rather than MMO/RPG skill trees. The way KF1 perks were designed worked prefectly fine and everyone knew what each perk was capable of. KF2 perks have been redesigned and rebalanced over and over, yet players still make the wrong choices or complain about rebalancing. The majority of players are not capable of choosing the adequate Left/Right perk when the situation calls for it.

Linear leveling did wonders and should be considered in the future, KF2 is what it is at the moment. I do enjoy skill trees in MMO/RPG games but subjecting killing floor to that is a no no.

Upvote 0
By the looks of it, the problem stems from the players...Not the game.

KF2 skill system is far from complicated. You got a simple A or B choice each and everytime. By shooter standards, that's alright. By RPG standards, that's laughable.

What I can go behind is definitely that waaaay too many games felt the need to introduce RPG elements in their gameplay. As if you needed levelling in racing of fighting games... But I do feel that in the case of KF2, it does make some sense.

Let's be honest : Tripwire won't change something that's at the core of KF2's gameplay, five years after release. Linear leveling does work, but in a game where every perk can handle almost every situation (thanks to an ever more versatile arsenal), losing the skills would make each perk even more redundant.

And finally, I do believe that if most players don't switch for the appropriate "left or right" perk, it stems from two reasons

1) They choose an "ideal" playstyle at the start of the game and can't bother switching in the middle of the playthrough (the blame is on them)
2) Most (if not all) perks often have one option waaay more reliable or downright better than the other, making the choice a no-brainer (the blame is on Tripwire, and why everybody asks for balancing)

Anyhow, I don't think the whole system is screwing. But it does need tweaking.

Upvote 0