• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Explosives Fix Mutator

I really don't want to go into detail here, as I don't want to spread the information on how to do it.
Basically, it is possible to kill teammates with some weapons even tho friendly fire is off.

That's a noble gesture but if this mutator is a fix for the problem you mentioned, then it is a good idea to explain what this mutator does and what it fixes, that way more people will implement this in their servers.

Upvote 0
That's a noble gesture but if this mutator is a fix for the problem you mentioned, then it is a good idea to explain what this mutator does and what it fixes, that way more people will implement this in their servers.
You are right, some more info would be good for users that don't know the bug yet. But the problem is that I have to draw a line between what to reveal and what to keep "secret" in order not to encourage other people abusing the knowledge. Furthermore, it is not allowed by forum rules to post how exploits work.
So I hope that my short explanation is sufficient.

Upvote 0
I really don't want to go into detail here, as I don't want to spread the information on how to do it.
Basically, it is possible to kill teammates with some weapons even tho friendly fire is off.

:confused:

How about giving list of weapons this supposedly fixes? Is this bug also on scrnbalanced weapons or any other modded weapons?

I have managed to kill other players with molotov coctail. Does it fix that bug also?

Upvote 0
:confused:

How about giving list of weapons this supposedly fixes? Is this bug also on scrnbalanced weapons or any other modded weapons?

I have managed to kill other players with molotov coctail. Does it fix that bug also?
Generally, the mutator should fix all weapons that cause this bug (no matter if scrn or default ones).
I am not sure about the molotov cocktail, if the bug has the same traits and origin then it will be fixed as well, but if some other lame coding is responsible for that it won't.

Upvote 0

Right. A lot of things posted here are self-explanatory after all and we're expected to just use it straight away :\.

You are right, some more info would be good for users that don't know the bug yet. But the problem is that I have to draw a line between what to reveal and what to keep "secret" in order not to encourage other people abusing the knowledge. Furthermore, it is not allowed by forum rules to post how exploits work.
So I hope that my short explanation is sufficient.

True enough. And agreeing with madfin, maybe hints on what weapons it fixes or what you can reveal without having to reveal said exploit. Myself, I've had grief with the Demolitions explosive weapons exploding prematurely when a Firebug is involved, so if this were to fix it, then your mutator is more than welcome on my server.

I've also noticed the Seal Squeal Weapon on the steam page so I assume this is one of the weapons included in the fix.

Upvote 0
[...]
True enough. And agreeing with madfin, maybe hints on what weapons it fixes or what you can reveal without having to reveal said exploit. Myself, I've had grief with the Demolitions explosive weapons exploding prematurely when a Firebug is involved, so if this were to fix it, then your mutator is more than welcome on my server.

I've also noticed the Seal Squeal Weapon on the steam page so I assume this is one of the weapons included in the fix.
I did not limit the mutator checks to any specific weapon because I don't know the whole arsenal of weapons that can exploit this. The harpoon is the common weapon to use for this bug but I am afraid other delayed weapons can be used as well.
Nope, it does not fix the bug where a firebug can set off your explosives, that's another story.
This one is more severe as you can teamkill anyone, even several teammates at once except for medics level 6 (but they are left in a state they have no armor anymore).

Upvote 0

It is almost impossible to give a full list of what weapons it will effect because this is 100% down to the author of the weapon that coded it. The reason behind is, if I read the fix correctly, this effects almost projectile based firing weapons. In the biggest case, explosives (with what we can see) that detonate from being harmed mid flow. Let's just say if a modder thought he will give the AA12 some explosive ammo (on impact), depending on how this was coded (instant hit or projectile), this fix will take effect to only the projectile version. Grenades will be, all demolition weapons will be (not the M4203 primary fire).

Hope this helps. I can definitely understand why Mutant wants to hide the bug that is fixed because it can be a very harsh trolling method and it should not be advertised in anyway so more people will do it.

Upvote 0
The reason behind is, if I read the fix correctly, this effects almost projectile based firing weapons. In the biggest case, explosives (with what we can see) that detonate from being harmed mid flow. Let's just say if a modder thought he will give the AA12 some explosive ammo (on impact), depending on how this was coded (instant hit or projectile), this fix will take effect to only the projectile version. Grenades will be, all demolition weapons will be (not the M4203 primary fire).

I don't think so:

Nope, it does not fix the bug where a firebug can set off your explosives, that's another story.

Upvote 0

I see. Too bad it won't address the issue I mentioned but still, this will be useful in the near future if a player accidentally does this or not with a projectile weapon.

Thanks, you make a fair point there if we tried to list all weapons. The testing involved would be too time consuming and best to just target the most commonly used ones. It would be right to assume that this affects mostly weapons that fire explosive projectiles.

Upvote 0
All of what Flux said does not apply at all to this fix. This addresses an entirely different issue with one of KF's weapon's code. Mutant's code is pretty smart, though, as it doesn't refer to the specific weapon that people use to exploit this. Which then explains why you'd be mislead to believe something else like the explosive + fire stuff.

This exploit has been known about for a while and I have a feeling I know who popularized this... it seems like stupid people have been telling other stupid people since then. All of them are disappointments to this community.

Upvote 0
TWI should fix the bug then, it shouldn't be hard to push out a quick simple bug fix.

PS: They still didn't fix the Demo ammo glitch from God knows how long.
Fixed for you. :)

Let's hope we can make enough noise for them to recognize it. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time until KF gradually becomes unenjoyable for a lot of players, especially public players.
I know that TWI is, unfortunately, passive when it comes to fixing bugs, but this one deserves attention, imo. If not then they can just whitelist the fix so the community has at least something to counter potential griefing.

Upvote 0