• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enhanced custom server browser

Forssen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Sweden
So, I was a bit disappointed at the depth of the server browser.

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?
You can filter by "Standard", "Realistic", and "Custom". We may look at adding some additional filtering features should they be needed post release.

As you can read it seems like this idea they had wont be included:

Custom Server Configs: Server configs are customizable, can be shared, and can even be rated by others. (Source: BashandSlash Interview)

Was I the only one hyped for this? If not I'm thinking of trying to do something similar. A website with a feature like above and hopefully some smooth way to use it in the game so you don't have to minimize the game to find a server. Guessing steams in-game browser is the easiest way, but not sure how easy it would feel.

Features:

• Name a certain server setting (would require an account on the website if you can't use the Steam account in some way.)
  • Rate named server settings.
  • keywords for named server settings.
  • As detailed filter.
  • Suggestions for close matches.
  • Something something something, just writing from the top of my head.

The idea is of course that you don't have to register your server or anything. If you search for a named server setting it searches for all servers with that setting. Creating a server setting/filter simply enables other to vote on it and saves it for later. All this would hopefully make it easier to get your custom server going so people don't feel ranked is the only way to get your server going. There seem to be a lot of server options so why not make good use of them?

I haven't really looked into what would be necessary to create something like this, just wanted to hear if there are other people who would be interested in something like it.

I'd love a similar system like the tags in Source games, very very useful if done correctly.

Not played any source games in a while. How does those work exactly? Googled a bit and it seems like what goes through my mind when I say you can name server settings.

For example disable all weapons but the bolt, leave everything else "whatever" and name it "bolt only". Now others, instead of creating this filter themselves only have to search for "bolt" or whatever extra keywords it has been given and check it/save it to some kind of favorites.

Upvote 0
hello,

I may be wrong but:

"Custom Server Configs: Server configs are customizable, can be shared, and can even be rated by others."

This is about server config: how the host can set up his server (realism options, ranks, weapons, number of players).

And you ask for server filters that are a different thing.

Now when you say it...

EDIT: No, listened to the podcast real fast. It's at about 1h 7min in. It's pretty much as what I thought it to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not played any source games in a while. How does those work exactly? Googled a bit and it seems like what goes through my mind when I say you can name server settings.

For example disable all weapons but the bolt, leave everything else "whatever" and name it "bolt only". Now others, instead of creating this filter themselves only have to search for "bolt" or whatever extra keywords it has been given and check it/save it to some kind of favorites.
Yeah, it works like that, e.g. if a server would be bolts only, the server gets a boltsonly tag and so forth, then you can filter servers either "does not contain these tags" you specify or "contains these tags"

All server settings have their own tags and you can add custom tags that you want to your server as well, e.g. bobs-server-hosting so that people can easily find all of your servers.

Upvote 0