• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation double sided mesh?

I'm trying to work on custom Russian and German flags for RO2 and I'm using a polygonal plane in Maya 2011 to model it. The problem I'm having is that when I export it as an FBX, and import that FBX into the SDK the flag is only visible from the front, and it's invisible from the back.

Note: in Maya - Attribute Editor - pPlaneShape# - Render Stats - Double Sided = checked ...but this seems to make no difference on the object or texture once exported.

Aside from that, I can find no settings that would fix my issue. Unless I'm just missing something that isn't so obvious.

I've tried to follow the method taught here: Autodesk Maya: Two-Sided Shader - YouTube for two-sided shaders, and even though the whole thing is in German and I don't speak a word of German, I can follow along visually. But that method, while it works perfectly in Maya, fails to work for the export. I assume it's just not compatible with the FBX export.

I could of course use a cube and just make it so thin that you really couldn't tell it has depth, but that's not going to work as well if/when I animate this flag to wave in the wind. Besides that it's just inefficient modeling. And I know it can be done. I see flags already in the game that are just planes, as well as trees with leaves that are done just the same. So where am I going wrong?

Side note: I also have 3ds Max 2011, though I'm far less familiar with it, I'm sure with the proper instructions I could do just as well in that program.

Thank you.