• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demo Weapon Combination?

Bill Nye The Science Spy

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
America
As the Demo perk i was wondering what is a good Demo weapon combination.

I am currently using M32 + M79 + Pipes + Machete

Is there any other good Weapon Combinations for him?

I was playing on HoE yesterday as a lvl 6 sharper and i saw a demo using M32 + LAR and he seemed to like it but i like the combination that i am using now better.Some one also suggested using M32 + Ak but i didnt like this combination.

I was also thinking of using M32 + M79 + Katana but then i would not be able to carry Pipes.

I was playing on HoE yesterday as a lvl 6 sharper and i saw a demo using M32 + LAR and he seemed to like it but i like the combination that i am using now better.Some one also suggested using M32 + Ak but i didnt like this combination.

I was also thinking of using M32 + M79 + Katana but then i would not be able to carry Pipes.
i think it depends on the user of course. ive been using m79 or m32 and pipes with a bullpup or ak recently only because ive been trying to get commando to 5. i think dual hand cannons are great for a demo to use. they have lots of penetration for panic moments and essentially one shot most smaller things with body shots or every small thing with head shots

Upvote 0
Normally M32 + M79 for team paly, keep 1-2 pipe in hand and give any money left to teamates.

If in a mood of solo, ak+M32.

For hard or below, LAW+pipe for sure. I dont really found mechete useful.

If you have 2 or more Demos LAW is pure awesomesauce.
With 3 Demos and 2 Support my team and I rocked Departed, Waterworks and Biohazard on HoE.

If done right, you can 2-hit 6p Scrakes with LAW and stun it with 1 rocket (aim for the head for 2x damage).
FP needs 2 LAW rockets and a nade.

Meaning Scrakes and FPs are a joke.

Therefore if you're team plays with 2 or more demos at least 1 of them should get the LAW. If you need someone to stun Scrakes (Think of Wyre - the spot with the fence and the weldable door next to the trader) get the LAW.

Otherwise I'd always recommend going M79 / M32.
The team uses Demolitions to nade and not to shoot AK.

In case it comes down to you being the last one, you're probably going to die anyways, with unperked AK or not.

Upvote 0
If you have 2 or more Demos LAW is pure awesomesauce.
With 3 Demos and 2 Support my team and I rocked Departed, Waterworks and Biohazard on HoE.

If done right, you can 2-hit 6p Scrakes with LAW and stun it with 1 rocket (aim for the head for 2x damage).
FP needs 2 LAW rockets and a nade.

Meaning Scrakes and FPs are a joke.

Therefore if you're team plays with 2 or more demos at least 1 of them should get the LAW. If you need someone to stun Scrakes (Think of Wyre - the spot with the fence and the weldable door next to the trader) get the LAW.

Otherwise I'd always recommend going M79 / M32.
The team uses Demolitions to nade and not to shoot AK.

In case it comes down to you being the last one, you're probably going to die anyways, with unperked AK or not.

Personally I really dont think 2 LAWs can beat two support in anything... but whatever.

If done right, no perk combination cannot win.

And I mean "solo" by solo, not rambo or being the last man. AK + M32 is for commando for mutiplayer in my loadout anyways...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I really dont think 2 LAWs can beat two support in anything... but whatever.

If done right, no perk combination cannot win.

I'm not saying that demo is better than support or any other perk, all I'm saying is that 2 or more demos with LAW can easily kill FPs and Scrakes without getting hit and even kill the trash zeds at the same time. I don't think 2 Supports can take out a Scrake or Fleshpound without getting hit unless they have very good communication and aim well.

Maybe give it a try first?
It's fun and effective.

Not working on every map though.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that demo is better than support or any other perk, all I'm saying is that 2 or more demos with LAW can easily kill FPs and Scrakes without getting hit and even kill the trash zeds at the same time. I don't think 2 Supports can take out a Scrake or Fleshpound without getting hit unless they have very good communication and aim well.

Maybe give it a try first?
It's fun and effective.

Not working on every map though.

Umm... you may not know but... in the best case 3 alt-fire of hunting shotgun kills a fleshpound.... even add in the fact that the shots dont do full damage cause by distance or where you aim, 4 alt-fire kill fleshpounds 90% of the time.

The main issue is after firing a LAW, you cant shoot for ... around 3-4 seconds? For hunting shotgun that's only ~1 second. And LAW user need to wait until that bloat or something blocking the rocket is dead if they want to do good enough damage to fleshpound or scrake (cos u NEED a direct hit to do "good damage") and support can just switch to aa12 and open fire, OR, just alt-fire 2-3 times.

Of cos, not saying LAW cannot take them down, but LAW just having much more limitations.

Upvote 0
Umm... you may not know but... in the best case 3 alt-fire of hunting shotgun kills a fleshpound.... even add in the fact that the shots dont do full damage cause by distance or where you aim, 4 alt-fire kill fleshpounds 90% of the time.

The main issue is after firing a LAW, you cant shoot for ... around 3-4 seconds? For hunting shotgun that's only ~1 second. And LAW user need to wait until that bloat or something blocking the rocket is dead if they want to do good enough damage to fleshpound or scrake (cos u NEED a direct hit to do "good damage") and support can just switch to aa12 and open fire, OR, just alt-fire 2-3 times.

Of cos, not saying LAW cannot take them down, but LAW just having much more limitations.

Well you usually have enough time to reload, since 2 LAW rockets will kill anything.
To kill a FP with 3 Double Barrels you will have to be really close to the FP, with AA12 you need 15 shots (afaik) at the same distance. And this will only work when all the bullets hit. So it's quite inevitable that you get hit at this close range with only 2! Supports.

I guess in the end it comes down to personal preferrence.
Both ways of dealing with stronger Zeds have there advantages and disadvantages.

Upvote 0
The main issue is after firing a LAW, you cant shoot for ... around 3-4 seconds?

When you have fired a rocket, you don't need to shoot for those seconds. Because all small zeds in it's large blast radius are dead, scrake is stunned, and FP... FP needs an another lawman or M32-guy. The main issue of supporters - they need to let big stuff coming at very close range, and then someone usually got hurt. With demo it is exactly opposite. You can fast, effectively and without taking damage kill in medium distance, but when teammates let enemy close to you, you are dead. And machete, katana or LAR will not save you.

When I'm playing as demo, I'm choosing one of combinations below:
1. M79 + M32 + Pipes + [Machete (optional)]
2. LAW + Pipes
3. M79 + M32 + Medic gun, if there is another demo in team carrying pipes, and no dedicated medic in the team

Upvote 0

Yeah, I too use the M32+LAR. I don't like the M32+M79+Machete+Pipes for two reasons:

1. I prefer taking out stray enemies from a distance contrary to whacking their heads off with a machete and get surrounded(tunnel vision is on whenever I use melee weapons)

2. More importantly, I'm an underpaid Level 2 Demolitions Man sorely in need of his bloody benefits check so I can't afford a M79 AND a M32. I sell the M79 for the better grenade launcher. Sad Demoman :(

Upvote 0
I've played demo extensively. Is probably my second favorite perk (especially once I got it over 3 or so. Too expensive before that). I generally use m32/m79 with pipes sometimes (only if I have tons of cash and people are funneling me money.)

On maps with nice hold spots, I can use the m79 on ceilings and high walls to either wipe out or stun whole groups without much smoke (high smoke doesn't seem to block sight as much as low flying for some reason) Elsewise the M32 will be able to take out Fleshies or nasty sirens as needed. Pretty simple, shouldn't need much explaining.

My first thought as alternate loadout would be M32/LAR. Lets you take out crawlers easily and even stalkers in one shot on lower difficulties. You're giving up your ability to both hold a hallway down AND kill big enemies (assuming you are needed for both jobs) and become more of a support role. Though I'd like to note for crawlers coming at you, it's not hard to pop off 3-4 9mm rounds and simply kill them. For clots/gores/etc coming at you on Sui/HoE, 9mm won't cut it, which is probably why you have the LAR... though the LAR isn't as reliable in this instance since it's single shot reloading and takes awhile to do so. (Also would like to note that HC fit in here and are a better alt weapon than LAR on lower difficulties. Until suicidal, both 1 shot crawlers for example, but the HC can reload more quickly. Disadvantage is you can't switch to 9mm as quickly since you have 2 weapons on the 2 weapon slot).

This leads me into the next loadout I like, M32 and AK/SCAR/BP. The Bullpup is a bit of a stretch, but on lower difficulties, it pops heads easily enough even without the perk damage increase and recoil lessening. On higher difficulties, an AK on single fire can take off heads and likely drop the middle range stuff. You won't be able to fire too quickly due to recoil, but full auto can easily take out a group of crawlers too close. Maybe I'm jaded here because Commando IS my favorite class and I'm extremely comfortable with all of them, perked or not. Today I used the M32/Scar/Pipes combo on HoE Mountain Pass. It worked extremely well too. Single shot scar can pop heads at medium long range acceptably well and we had an xbow in the group to stop husks from sniping us. I was able to kill gores, stalkers, clots, and crawlers effectively one at a time at range. Even managed to kite a bit and survive a team wipe. Of course that was short lived because we managed to pull it back together to the defense point. Personally my belief is this, on higher difficulties the enemies come too fast and too hard to really USE a second unperked weapon. As far as they go, the AK/Scar both allow for short bursts of head popping (no pun intended on burst fire) with single shotting, yet conserves ammo for your main gun. Though in a pinch I'd rather waste a grenade and point blank shoot the crawler biting me than to switch to ak and take another hit or two trying to kill it.

I saw mention of medic gun elsewhere. This plays into another combo I like. Katana + M32 + Mp7m. This is primarily a medic combo to me, but can be applied to demo somewhat effectively. This was back before scrakes got redone, so you could katana back pedal and slowly take off a scrakes head (like zerkers now do with FPs) and the Mp7 allows for crawler killage and team heal-age. Good support stuff. Then your bread and butter killing is done with the M32. Since you have a katana you can do short kiting runs as a demo (but more as a medic) thanks to the melee speed boost. You won't feel as powerful as you do with other weapon loadouts, but you'll be more useful in support of your team. As I noted before, it is more of a medic combo to me, but either way thrown nades + m32 drum can take out a FP even unperked at middle difficulties.

I can't really think of too many others I like or have used too much. My friend likes shotguns, so M32 + pump shotty would make sense. He seems to feel that its easier to kill crawlers with a pump shotty than anything else. So that's an option. But I don't really care for it. I guess M32 + Mac10, but inaccuracy rather ruins the gun for that loadout. Unless you want a few free points in fire damage I would avoid that one.

That's all I can come up with as far as demo weapon combos.

Upvote 0