• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour 3.0 out Tonight!

i played 6h of "SS" maps today( la glaize, stosser, raids, chenaux? and taragonwhatever) and had a ****ing blast. Saying i played like all ro maps up and down and back and forth an i missed the "style" his maps put into the mix. :D Coming from a player that plays RO at its most difficulty ( meaning the damm ladder against clans only consisting of meanies ) Dh is is a nice change of pace. I hope that sepp fixes "Targonwhatever" since its one of the best looking DH maps till date but makes it to easy for axis to win. On the other hand..i might get paired with people on my team that dont know what "DEFEND A ****ING BUILDING *include random klaus rant about pubbys here * " means..i yet have to see that.;) So i reserve judgement till a later date. what bugs me more is to see carentan 24/7 server allready pooping up while its one of nthe maps that require a tiny bit of teamplay and brains...but maybe thats why...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its so great to be a noob again!!! I wonder around the forests and think "my god, how do i recognize who's on my team??" but really, except the tank maps, its a great mod (I hate tank maps, 9 days of driving only to get blasted for a respawn and another 9 days of driving.. but its my personal problem.)

Please change the thompson reloading animation! He is like pulling out the magazine, taking another one and then pauses to think where to put it!

Also- while I appriciate you guys working on a free mod- id like to emphasise that you are wasted talents, if you can produce this from such an ancient engine you could really be an excellent addition to any big gaming company out there!

P.s. - What are the chances of adding some tool to the combat engineer to stop a tank from burning?

Further p.s. - its a crazy idea but would be awesome to see an imaginery battle of americans and russians coming from 2 different sides against the extremely strong defending germans! I realize its impossible, but it will just be awesome!

Upvote 0
OK - anyone who sees Klaus on server has the right to yell at him for being a nub - this I have to see ;) :D

For all the people who hate the mod - fine go ahead and hate, not much I can do about that.

If, however, you like the mod but are frustrated by some flaws and would like to see them fixed, please post in another thread.

I, personally, have parts of this thread down as rant and will not base any of the stuff I do for the hotfixes on anything I read there - it's just too depressing wading through all the bile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the first version of Darkest Hour I've played and I'm really enjoying it. I've not played all the maps yet but the ones I have I've liked (except Wacht on Rhein, allies should have a forced numerical advantage imo), Foy is particularly excellent, it's got great atmosphere.

Only thing spoiling it atm the moment are some of the idiots playing, but that comes with any new release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i found out that the maps i like most, are not played often, or not at all
those are usually the maps with a great athmosphere
where you just shoot everywhere because you are scared to hell, and dont have an idea where the enemy is

the maps that i HATE are maps that require good tankers (where you only have one tank)
like Raids
i usually end up on the team that has the crap tankers, and gets raped by one single tank

did i mention that i HATE DH_Raids?

non existant athmosphere, just all about spawnraping

one of the most fun maps ive played till now is DH_Bois_Jacques
too bad it doesnt get played that often

Upvote 0
With good reason. While the atmosphere is great, gameplay was pretty awful whenever I played it. Best not to mention Raids.
Sadly such flawed maps limit the already small standard map rotation further, especially for me, since I detest tank maps (very first Kalinin excluded ;)).

I really like the new playerskins and models, don't mind the animations much with such great weapon variety. The faster gameplay with spawn portals is always refreshing. Good job after all :)

Upvote 0
lemon, ever heard of a game called day of defeat? im sure you will love that! ;)
i find most of the comments here quite intelligent though, i don't know what i would have thought if i had discovered the mod for the first time now like many of you. you have to know the average gameplay you find now is not at all how it usually is. it's quite horrible at moments i must say. (avoid big US servers for the moment, and the maps with appealing names)
so if you had a bad experience and unless youre one of those who had their mind made up before launching the game... then don't give up just yet, you would only be fooling yourself.

i didn't officially colaborate with the DH team for this release, and i moderately approve of the changes done to my maps. and it's obvious all the stock maps have at least minor issues but i released a few of my other maps that do have the "sepp" touch.
and in general most of the maps are at least enjoyable, and many can offer you an experience no map in RO ever gave you, so there is no reason why you shouldn't have at least as much fun as with RO and possibly more if you like the realism pushed a bit further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far, most of the things I think might be wrong are either minor or most certainly will be fixed soon with a hotfix patch.

Of other concern are the fact that some maps are very hard to win. Personally, I don't mind that much at all, but I do see others complain about it.

One thing I am thinking about, is requesting some sort of notification for tank troops about when their next tank will spawn, if there are any left at all, or a notification that you are out of armor reinforcements. I don't mind waiting for the Stug (in this example) to respawn, but it would be nice to know if I am going to stand in the spawn like an idiot for six or seven minutes waiting for it. In that case I would much rather go my usual rifleman and get back into the game. :D

Upvote 0
Great release, in my opinion. Just need some of the older maps to get converted to 3.0 and a couple bugs and glitches to be fixed in the new maps.

The only things that really anger me in map designs in DH are the same things that I hate in stock RO maps. Walls where I get propped-up while crouching next to them or places where you try to run off an edge, only to get stuck on the edge until you prone or move along the edge to drop in. I don't know why those places are like that, but it's irritating.

I think the balance of Brecourt is pretty good actually. On the German team, you basically set up some MGs and have riflemen/smgs moving through the trench in response to where enemies are trying to break through. It's only bad for the Americans if they keep going to the same places and don't coordinate with each other. I had a blast on Americans as the Combat Engineer and was surprised the non-clan players were displaying such good teamwork.

I love Raids, especially as the Allies. It's all about having good MG cover and decent anti-tank guys (this goes for Axis too). Really, it just comes down to good teamwork.

All-in-all, I've had some really bad games where my team wasn't doing so well (or barely even trying) or I wasn't doing so well, but most of the games I've played in DH have been a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lemon, ever heard of a game called day of defeat? im sure you will love that! ;)

ever heard of a term called ''fun gameplay'' ?

im playing RO scince the release, and the mod a few times too, and i never had any problem concerning really badly thought gameplay on official maps

as DH_Raids is an official map, it just plays horribly, same as brecourt, wich plays OK, but has some real immersionbreakers, like minefields right around the trenches, so you are only able to move inside the trenches as an american (once you have capped them off course)

some official DH maps just have incredibly BAD gameplay, or are so badly thought out, that i just leave the server as soon as those maps are beeing switched to (compared to custom maps off course)

there are many good examples, like foy, bois jacques, and allmost all other official maps or custommaps

there are just a few maps that shine throguht utter immersionbreaking ''gameplaydecissions'' or or utter bad gameplay

oh well, and yes, i know DoD, and i hate it
thanks for telling anyone not agreeing with your opinnion to basically **** off :rolleyes:

now go play some teletubby game, im sure you will love that! :rolleyes:

oh and btw, the Bazooka is totally bugged (and maybe the shreck too, but im never playing that class)
when your teammate's reload your bazooka, you are ready to fire, but if you get reloaded and get to 0 ammo, and then get reloaded again, your bazooka gets unloaded, and all ammo gets stripped from you

had that happen many times, when i was aiming at a tank, and right before shooting someon espammed his resupplybutton, reloaded me 2 times, and my round was gone

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I changed my opinion on Brecourt. It is possible to win as Allies, your team just has to be really good. We almost did it last night. You need good riflemen that pick off the machine guns from long distance, as well as a lot of grenade throwing into the trenches. It requires a lot of aggression, but a good team can win. That being said, maybe one of the objectives should be a little bit easier to capture so we'll see the Americans win a bit more often.

On the whole I would have to say that I am satisfied with the most recent release. While I understand that some fixes will be needed, I feel that the progress made on the mod thus far has been exceptional.

Wow. He's back.

Upvote 0