• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Cwivey's Impacts and Explosions volume modification

Cwivey

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
In the hills! (of England)
I thought I'd create a little sound mod for RO2 to increase some of the sounds' impact. Posting it here because the Sound modding forum doesn't get that much activity.

Read more below.

Disclaimers:

• The sounds in this mod have not been as extensivly tested as I hoped to have done, some may not apear to work as intended.
  • Some sounds may still be over-shadowed by others.
  • There will be issues with joining multiplayer games after playing singleplayer (Relating to missmatched files), joining a multiplayer game straight off works however.
  • Having an understanding of what you're doing to the files in folders and how to restore them if all goes bottoms up will help greatly. (I will explain it, but if you can do it yourself all the better)
  • I would suggest only using it on the Vanilla RO2, the changes to the Beta may address some of these already, that and it may not work with the Beta anyways.

What it does:

• Increase in volume of artillery strikes and artillery whiz-by sounds.
  • Increase the volume of Grenades and Satchels.
  • A very slight increase to the expendeture sound of the German smoke grenades.
  • Increase in tank main weapon firing volume.
  • Increase in volume of bullet impacts near the player.
  • Increase in volume of bullet whiz-by's.
  • Bullet snaps now happen 100% of the time in near-misses compared to the 0.33333 chance found in-game currently.

Installation:

Extract the files within the Zipped folder to...
C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/red orchestra 2/ROGame/CookedPC/Packages/Audio

Allow it to over-write the files. And that's it!

Reverting back to the old sounds...

If, for any reason, you want to revert back to the sounds as they were origonally, follow these next steps in doing so:

• Go to the folder C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/red orchestra 2/ROGame/CookedPC/Packages/Audio

• Find and delete the files;
  • AUD_EXP_Artillery.upk
  • AUD_EXP_Grenade_F1.upk
  • AUD_EXP_SatchelCharge.upk
  • AUD_EXP_SmokeNade_German.upk
  • AUD_EXP_Tanks.upk
  • AUD_Firearms.upk
  • AUD_Impacts.upk
  • AUD_Projectiles.upk
  • AUD_Vehicle_Tank_PanzerIV.upk
  • AUD_Vehicle_Tank_T34.upk

• Then, go to steam, right click on Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, click Properties.

• Click on the "LOCAL FILES" tab.

• Click "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE..."

• Let it work through and re-download the files (Shouldn't take more than around five minutes, depending on your internet connection)

• Done and done. The sounds should be as they were and any bugs encountered will be purley the games fault. :cool:

Download

Removed for now.

Please post feedback and suggestions or downright insults (Of the mod, not me). :p

Last edited:
Curious what Bullet Snaps are?

Bullet snaps are the loud cracks that happen when bullets fly past your head.

Has anyone encountered any issues with it yet? Or even noticed a difference? I've spent so much time in the SDK that I've lost all sense of how the sounds were. :p

I may begin working on slightly louder weapon sounds with more echo's and / or reverb. How would people feel about reverb sounds for fighting in the areas around the park in Fallen Fighters or the Alley ways in Apartments or Station etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bullet snaps are the loud cracks that happen when bullets fly past your head.

Has anyone encountered any issues with it yet? Or even noticed a difference? I've spent so much time in the SDK that I've lost all sense of how the sounds were. :p

I may begin working on slightly louder weapon sounds with more echo's and / or reverb. How would people feel about reverb sounds for fighting in the areas around the park in Fallen Fighters or the Alley ways in Apartments or Station etc?

More reverb would be great, but the problem is that sounds like footsteps shouldn't be heard when someone is firing a weapon. When a gun is being shot, smaller/minor sounds such as footsteps, voices and objects falling (like grenades) shouldn't be heard very clearly and should be dampened or distorted. Weapons could use a beefing up in the sound department, like the Mosin which sounds weak in comparison to the TT33.
But that is just a suggestion. I'm curious how you made this mod, as I would like to try tweaking the sounds on my own.
Also, I had zero issues, works great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Question....
Does this affect VAC? As in, is there any chance of a person getting VAC banned at a later date for playing on a VAC secured multi-player server?

I shouldn't think so. Remeber that native voice fix a while back that people made up? No-one got VAC banned with that and this uses the exact same method for replacing files.

As for how I did it. I just simply fiddled around with the values of the SoundCue's nodes in the SDK and added other nodes where neccessary to mix it up or change how many sounds are done at once.

Upvote 0
I took it down because at the moment, I've not got the spare time to work on it, and as it was created before the GOTY patch, I need to be sure which sounds were addressed by TWI and if it's at all compatible with the updated version.

I should be able to begin working on it again in two weeks or so, those A-Level exams sure do eat up free time but I am nearing the end! :p

Upvote 0