• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cracking sounds

It makes no difference what soundcard you have installed, or even if you are using inbuilt sound.

The Xaudio commands they use do NOT utilize your sound card, the sound processing is done by your CPU, so all the positional calculations, each sound font has to be processed by your CPU, this is one of the main reasons there is poor frame rates, and why you get mega drops on your FPS when arty is used nearby, same when there are multiple sounds from weapon fire, you will notice freezing and lagging

It was a poor decision to go this way, it puts far more strain on the engine than is necessary, utilizing the Xaudio is trying to get you PC to mimic the Xbox sound system which was never good in the first place.

The only thing I have found that helps a little, and the keyword is LITTLE, is to make sure you don't put your sounds to more than 32 channels and set quality to low. Yes it sucks, no it is not the reason you bought a decent sound card, just like me you wanted audio fidelity but unless TWI sort it out will always be the same.

Reactions: garferi
Upvote 0
It makes no difference what soundcard you have installed, or even if you are using inbuilt sound.

The Xaudio commands they use do NOT utilize your sound card, the sound processing is done by your CPU, so all the positional calculations, each sound font has to be processed by your CPU, this is one of the main reasons there is poor frame rates, and why you get mega drops on your FPS when arty is used nearby, same when there are multiple sounds from weapon fire, you will notice freezing and lagging

It was a poor decision to go this way, it puts far more strain on the engine than is necessary, utilizing the Xaudio is trying to get you PC to mimic the Xbox sound system which was never good in the first place.

The only thing I have found that helps a little, and the keyword is LITTLE, is to make sure you don't put your sounds to more than 32 channels and set quality to low. Yes it sucks, no it is not the reason you bought a decent sound card, just like me you wanted audio fidelity but unless TWI sort it out will always be the same.

And sadly thats the reason why i

Upvote 0