• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cracking sounds

It seems I fixed the problem for myself by increasing the audio quality in Windows 7 to 24bit and 96000 Hz. There are still a few anomalies, but not as bad as it was. :)

Tried all possible settings from 16Bit 44100Hz to 24Bit 192000Hz including the same as you 24Bit 96000Hz but no luck for me, still having the same issues with sounds.

- Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
- Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME
- Windows seven pro 64bits

Upvote 0
I have the exact same as that video shows, and it's quite obvious that the stutters in sound coincides with drops in framerate. This is especially during heavy firefights, and indoors, where there's a lot more reverb and other effects to calculate by the engine. Since the sound engine is all in software this takes quite a strain on the CPU.

Indoors in the ground floor of the Grain Elev.is the worst; large room, lots of reverb.

Now, I don't have a top-notch CPU, a Q9550 quad running at 2.8Ghz, but like a lot of you I have a SB X-Fi Pro Fatality, it's a couple years old now but a fine card. Trouble is, it just works to output the sound now, since all audio processing is done in software.

I am quite certain that a lot of people experiencing framerate drops will have their game improved by implementing HW audio processing (OpenAL) like RO1 has. It really sucks to play with the sound sputtering all the time.

I trust TWI, and I have high hopes they will fix this, but it's going to take a while. Hopefully they can do some tweaking of the (crappy) existing Xaudio2 system before that though.

Upvote 0
Can someone with X-fi try this :

Use Creative alchemy and create a profile for RO2 :
Use game path ( for windows seven 64 Bits edition, might change for other systems ) :
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\
Sub Folder :
Code:
Binaries\Win32\
and select the option "install in root and sub folder" ( see screenshot )

I'm still messing around with buffer and duration values and testing all this and will need more time to confirm but it seems that i have less sutter in game and sound renders a bit better, sound is still cracking and all but it doesn't seems to make my game lag when it have to render loud sound scene anymore, i didn't had time to test a lot for now and i think i will need few more days of gaming to see if it was a lucky shot / placebo or if it help really.

Can some X-fi users try this and also maybe try to mess with buffer and timer settings to see if they find better values and confirm or not if it helps.

For information : got a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series, 128 channels set in game, 24Bit 44800Khz set in windows seven 64 bits Pro, EAX enabled with -3.2dB setting and EQ presets only running , no CMS-3D or other setting enabled in creative console

See picture ( French version of Alchemy )

Attachments

• 2011-09-25_123520.jpg
    2011-09-25_123520.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have Creative X-Fi and tried Alchemy yesterday.

Can't say I noticed much difference, and like others have said elsewhere (u-s-e-r I think) since RO2 doesn't use DirectSound3D it wouldn't make much difference anyhow.

I also tried setting the # of channels to 16, it seems to have helped a bit, but still get crackles and stutters.

Upvote 0
Yeah i know it doesn't use DirectSound3D and is not supposed to help, and yes it doesn't help for cracking sounds they are still there and bad rendered , but for me it seems a bit better for one thing until now : no more game freeze during heavy sound scenes like i had previously in each CQB facing an assault weapon or during arty etc ( al least for now i didn't encounter this, not sure if i was lucky for now, only time will tell ) , did you tried it with the settings i done ? ( just want to be sure it does nothing for you or others)

Upvote 0
Can someone with X-fi try this :

Use Creative alchemy and create a profile for RO2 :
Use game path ( for windows seven 64 Bits edition, might change for other systems ) :
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\
Sub Folder :
Code:
Binaries\Win32\
and select the option "install in root and sub folder" ( see screenshot )

I'm still messing around with buffer and duration values and testing all this and will need more time to confirm but it seems that i have less sutter in game and sound renders a bit better, sound is still cracking and all but it doesn't seems to make my game lag when it have to render loud sound scene anymore, i didn't had time to test a lot for now and i think i will need few more days of gaming to see if it was a lucky shot / placebo or if it help really.

Can some X-fi users try this and also maybe try to mess with buffer and timer settings to see if they find better values and confirm or not if it helps.

For information : got a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series, 128 channels set in game, 24Bit 44800Khz set in windows seven 64 bits Pro, EAX enabled with -3.2dB setting and EQ presets only running , no CMS-3D or other setting enabled in creative console

See picture ( French version of Alchemy )

The purpose of Alchemy is giving compatibility to old EAX games that won't work in Vista/7, because Microsoft removed DirectSound3d from both OS's.
This is done by intrercepting directsound3d calls and reproduce them through OpenAL.

Upvote 0
the soundbars in audio menu seems to go up to 200% so if you set them half way your at 100%

If you set them at the end you hear crackling, if you put it in the middle its fine:IS2:

Hmm, interesting ... it seems to be better at halfway - so I suspect a lot of what people are hearing is actually clipping. I also had it a max and it seems to have helped a bit, but sound still bugs out a lot inside buildings etc.

Note that it is not actually 200% - halfway is 50%, as the ini file states:

[Engine.AudioDevice]
SoundFXVolume=0.500000

But thanks for the tip, helpful!

Upvote 0