• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Controversial opinion: Scaly Pete was right to kill dear mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
es, the wolf who kills the Alpha leader is indeed branded a murderer by the rest of the pack, thus one of the reasons he is able to assume command, out of fear and respect. It's tribalism, you see. The animal kingdom isn't actually too different from how our militaries, patrol units and even gangs operates hence why all these groups take strategies and rules from various animal packs to operate and strategize, this is even taken from insect kingdom.

You are agreeing with me on the fire, I don't think you know you are agreeing with me but yes, I was talking about someone who is fully able to save a child from a fire but deciding not to, there are many reasons they could decide not to. Is it morally correct to stand idle in such a situation? Of course not, but that doesn't make you a murderer, people react differently but still, it's a moral choice. Real question: How far will morality push a person or animal to reflect theirs own life and devalue in a given situation? That's a perfect question that goes along with the thread.

I would have to disagree with you on another point, animals can plan months and even years ahead of time. Preparing for seasons by building nests/dams, etc. This isn't survival instinct but learned behaviors and the animal chooses whether or not they want to do it. A wolf can spend weeks stalking a prey and planning for the perfect kill as they know the layout of the land like the back of their hand. Ants can adapt strategy battle plans on the fly regardless of millions being on the field - this is where the human miliatay tries to copy such complex activity - read the Art Of War!

Point being animals will surprise you and it's not like there haven't been sharks who were out to get revenge on humans in real life...
Yeah I see we are agreeing in some parts but I think you are lacking some information about why morality actually matters and how it only effects Humans and has no consequenses for the animal kingdom.

There exist a rule for the consequenses of Human behaviour it has many names, some of the names are as follows: Karma, God, Effects and causalitys (which is a school of science and philosophy). It doesnt matter how one decides to call this universal rule they all mean the same. What matters is it only effects beings capable of understanding the concepts of morality. If an animal commits murder and it stays unpunished nothing bad will happen to the other animals who do not punish murder. But when a Human commits murder or any other crime that stays unpunished the crimes will be repeated and will occur more often until other Humans decide to fight against it. The Evil grows if not fought against. But for Animals there is no Evil to grow or to fight against, no matter what they do it goes unpunished and without negative effects for the animal kingdom.

If you say otherwise then you agree that Scaly Pete was right to kill our Shark and its Mother, because it commited crimes and got punished for it. As it should be like you believe, because it can be held morally responsible for it actions. If Pete didnt killed her the Evil would have grown much bigger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I see we are agreeing in some parts but I think you are lacking some information about why morality actually matters and how it only effects Humans and has no consequenses for the animal kingdom.

There exist a rule for the consequenses of Human behaviour it has many names, some of the names are as follows: Karma, God, Effects and causalitys (which is a school of science and philosophy). It doesnt matter how one decides to call this universal rule they all mean the same. What matters is it only effects beings capable of understanding the concepts of morality. If an animal commits murder and it stays unpunished nothing bad will happen to the other animals who do not punish murder. But when a Human commits murder or any other crime that stays unpunished the crimes will be repeated and will occur more often until other Humans decide to fight against it. The Evil grows if not fought against. But for Animals there is no Evil to grow or to fight against, no matter what they do it goes unpunished and without negative effects for the animal kingdom.

If you say otherwise then you agree that Scaly Pete was right to kill our Shark and its Mother, because it commited crimes and got punished for it. As it should be because it can be held morally responsible for it actions. If Pete didnt killed her the Evil would have grown much bigger.
Very strange you consider me to be lacking knowledge but yet you are the one who doesn't seem to want to admit to how the animal kingdom in real life works.

Are animals held to the same consequential standard as humans are? Yes, the realistic answer is yes. If an alpha wolf has a baby wolf who witnesses another wolf attacking it's father, the alpha wolf, then it's not unlikely for the baby wolf to go after that wolf someday in the future and want revenge. So, if we're being realistic, of course animals have the same broad understanding of humans in morality and values.

You're also trying to debunk the facts by bringing law and order into the topic to try to debunk animals having just as much of a complex and deep morality system as humans. The answer is yes, lions, sharks, wolves and other animals do banish/exile or kill their insubordinate and retaliative members just as humans will imprison or put a criminal in the electric chair. The rules are moreorless the same, even in the insect kingdom so yeah, not sure why you're trying to imply that these are any different. Doesn't make sense.

Lastly, me stating these simple facts of scuence and the study of morality in the animal kingdom as has been proven doesn't mean I'm siding with Scaly Pete, if you look at and read my earlier comments, you'll see I've been pretty adamant about siding with the player shark.

Just because e disagree on stuff, doesn't mean I'm taking the other side but just pointing out that there's some pretty deep flaws with your logic and even if I posting some links on scientific studies which render your points as fibs, I doubt you will admit these things. Nonetheless, the real life examples I gave you already proved you wrong, still I'm going to post some infornative videos. It's up to you if you are willing to learn something new or ignore the facts further...

Of course I am not going to spam this thread with videos if you are unwilling to accept the facts but there are thousands of video evidence with footage which goes against what you're saying.

It's clear you are very young and need to study the complexities of animal behaviors. I'm just giving you examples here of how the animal kingdoms work and how they are just as complex as humans - and no, we're not just talking mammals here.

Reactions: Rabidyotesgirl
Upvote 0
Very strange you consider me to be lacking knowledge but yet you are the one who doesn't seem to want to admit to how the animal kingdom in real life works.

Are animals held to the same consequential standard as humans are? Yes, the realistic answer is yes. If an alpha wolf has a baby wolf who witnesses another wolf attacking it's father, the alpha wolf, then it's not unlikely for the baby wolf to go after that wolf someday in the future and want revenge. So, if we're being realistic, of course animals have the same broad understanding of humans in morality and values.

You're also trying to debunk the facts by bringing law and order into the topic to try to debunk animals having just as much of a complex and deep morality system as humans. The answer is yes, lions, sharks, wolves and other animals do banish/exile or kill their insubordinate and retaliative members just as humans will imprison or put a criminal in the electric chair. The rules are moreorless the same, even in the insect kingdom so yeah, not sure why you're trying to imply that these are any different. Doesn't make sense.

Lastly, me stating these simple facts of scuence and the study of morality in the animal kingdom as has been proven doesn't mean I'm siding with Scaly Pete, if you look at and read my earlier comments, you'll see I've been pretty adamant about siding with the player shark.

Just because e disagree on stuff, doesn't mean I'm taking the other side but just pointing out that there's some pretty deep flaws with your logic and even if I posting some links on scientific studies which render your points as fibs, I doubt you will admit these things. Nonetheless, the real life examples I gave you already proved you wrong, still I'm going to post some infornative videos. It's up to you if you are willing to learn something new or ignore the facts further...

Im done, I have nothing to add to this conversation. I think this quote says it all. By the way Im a Huntsman apprentice who had to learn how each animal Im allowed to hunt actually lives. Im pretty much at the end of my apprenticeship(apprenticehood?) and just waiting for my final exam.

Upvote 0
Im done, I have nothing to add to this conversation. I think this quote says it all. By the way Im a Huntsman apprentice who had to learn how each animal Im allowed to hunt actually lives. Im pretty much at the end of my apprenticeship(apprenticehood?) and just waiting for my final exam.
Sure thing, the apprenticeship doesn't seem to help your case here. If you cannot admit that you don't have knowledge on the subject, then yes, I agree with you that it's best to end the conversation.

My comment gave you more real life time tested examples, do not blame me if you did not know that animals have their own complex systems for banishment and morality. My comments were based merely on facts while yours seemed to be more on feelings or assumptions. I was just trying to show you that animals could do everything you claimed they couldn't whilst providing evidence for my case. I have ran into people on the internet before who claimed I was crazy for stating something so simple like the fact that our military has based it's formations off of insect kingdoms and wolf pack strategic patterns, in their ignorance they railed me down with petty insults only to learn later that everything I said turned out to be true.

Well, I guess all that needs to be said was said but don't attempt to make me out the bad guy for simply stating for scientific real world facts that you do not want to accept.

Reactions: Rabidyotesgirl
Upvote 0
In real life, you can have whatever opinion you want on animal morality. My own is that morality in animals is non-existent. They are neither moral nor immoral, for they do not fall under the radar of sapience. And no, I don't expect Sharkboy to have done any research on that subject....he has already shown himself to be embarrassingly ignorant on subjects such as his own religions view on animal rights...so I expect his grasp on science to be slippery on the best of days. But that's okay. He can have whatever opinion he wants.

Reactions: Goblin Shark
Upvote 0
Come down off your high horse before you hurt yourself. You're literally acting like a jerk to another human being over a difference of opinion on a fictional shark. Get over it, it's a game. You're the type of gamer that gives all of us a bad name.

You can talk morality all you want but honestly I wouldn't believe a word out of your mouth when you can treat another human being the way you're treating Sharkboy.

Anyone who needs to resort to calling another person names and patronizing them because of a disagreement in a debate has no right to try to "educate" anyone on morality...

Have a great day and just learn to enjoy games without lashing out at people.

Reactions: SharkBoy266
Upvote 0
If someone displays extreme ignorance in a debate (like Sharkboy did on page 1) and they refuse to retract when corrected, then you bet I will call them ignorant. The fact that this triggers you makes me wish for your sake that you never, ever, ever visit the YouTube comment section during an argument. My "aggresive" comments on this thread are nothing compared to normal gamer discourse in chat rooms or comment boards. Indeed, I have moderated my tone significantly on this forum due to the presence of mods.

My teasing of Sharkboy will continue until he admits he was wrong in stating:
"Life is life, in no case of morality or even religion has human life ever been placed higher or superior than any other species" (And it would also be nice if he admitted the obvious: It is evil to kill innocent beachgoers.)

Until then, I have no reason to engage him in serious debate. But still, my criticism of him has been exceedingly mild by internet standards.

"You can talk morality all you want but honestly I wouldn't believe a word out of your mouth when you can treat another human being the way you're treating Sharkboy."

Three words out my mouth: Slavery was wrong. Now, are you a girl of your word, or not? If you are, then you must follow through and not believe that slavery was wrong...because I was mean to poor SharkBoy.

Have a great day, Rabidyotesgirl. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Goblin Shark
Upvote 0
If someone displays extreme ignorance in a debate (like Sharkboy did on page 1) and they refuse to retract when corrected, then you bet I will call them ignorant. The fact that this triggers you makes me wish for your sake that you never, ever, ever visit the YouTube comment section during an argument. My "aggresive" comments on this thread are nothing compared to normal gamer discourse in chat rooms or comment boards. Indeed, I have moderated my tone significantly on this forum due to the presence of mods.

My teasing of Sharkboy will continue until he admits he was wrong in stating:
"Life is life, in no case of morality or even religion has human life ever been placed higher or superior than any other species" (And it would also be nice if he admitted the obvious: It is evil to kill innocent beachgoers.)

Until then, I have no reason to engage him in serious debate. But still, my criticism of him has been exceedingly mild by internet standards.

"You can talk morality all you want but honestly I wouldn't believe a word out of your mouth when you can treat another human being the way you're treating Sharkboy."

Three words out my mouth: Slavery was wrong. Now, are you a girl of your word, or not? If you are, then you must follow through and not believe that slavery was wrong...because I was mean to poor SharkBoy.

Have a great day, Rabidyotesgirl. 😉
For the record....

1.)I wasn't the one who displayed a high level of ignorance in the conversation, nor was I triggered. I recall you the one who threw the tantrum by throwing petty insults and then leaving. It's strange that you feel the need to attack me because someone else wrote a reply you didn't like later. It almost feels as if you are implying that Rabidyotesgirl is a duplicate account which is obviously not since accounts with the same IP are limited to one (try it if you don't believe me. Oh wait, you ARE Goblin Shark!)

2.) So you're going to continue to troll me until I give into your bs mentality? Seems pretty stupid if you ask me. I think I'll just report you or ask the mods to close the thread. You're obviously hellbent on knocking me down just because I proved your logic was faulty as much as it is unstable. You were never able to give me any real example of an animal being inferior to humans, in fact the example you DID give only comtradicted your point. Animal sacrifice is all about giving your best and purest animal, for example giving up your whitest lamb or your strongest bull, etc. People don't sacrifice because animals are inferior, they sacrifice because their god demands and people do it out of fear. Completely different from what you are trying to spin it as. If you knew anything about what you were talking about, you'd know that those same people would sacrifice their firstborn child if they didn't have an animal to sacrifice. Huh... Makes ya think twice, don't it?

3.) No need to engage me in a serious debate? You seem to be doing just that, you went so far as to say you're done with me and now you seem to be lashing me in a reply someone else. You need help, that's pretty creepy behavior in itself. It's almost obsessive.

4.) You contradict yourself again, if you think morality is subjective then you believe slavery isn't really wrong, and anything immoral can be defended.

This thread has gone too far with your petty and immature remarks. I'm requesting that it get shut down because we already know where this is headed. You never wanted a serious converaation, obviously and you are trying to pin your wrongs on me (like saying I can't admit I'm wrong when it's really you.) And what's with you sarcastically questioning gender based on a username? My name is SharkBoy and that doesn't mean I am automatically a male? Lol Ugggghhh... kids these days.

To end, I'm truly kinda disappointed, I had hoped for a better outcome. I expect this kinda nonsense and trolling on Steam but was hoping this forum would be a safe place from this kinda bigotry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the record....

1.)I wasn't the one who displayed a high level of ignorance in the conversation, nor was I triggered. I recall you the one who threw the tantrum by throwing petty insults and then leaving. It's strange that you feel the need to attack me because someone else wrote a reply you didn't like later. It almost feels as if you are implying that Rabidyotesgirl is a duplicate account which is obviously not since accounts with the same IP are limited to one (try it if you don't believe me. Oh wait, you ARE Goblin Shark!)

2.) So you're going to continue to troll me until I give into your bs mentality? Seems pretty stupid if you ask me. I think I'll just report you or ask the mods to close the thread. You're obviously hellbent on knocking me down just because I proved your logic was faulty as much as it is unstable. You were never able to give me any real example of an animal being inferior to humans, in fact the example you DID give only comtradicted your point. Animal sacrifice is all about giving your best and purest animal, for example giving up your whitest lamb or your strongest bull, etc. People don't sacrifice because animals are inferior, they sacrifice because their god demands and people do it out of fear. Completely different from what you are trying to spin it as. If you knew anything about what you were talking about, you'd know that those same people would sacrifice their firstborn child if they didn't have an animal to sacrifice. Huh... Makes ya think twice, don't it?

3.) No need to engage me in a serious debate? You seem to be doing just that, you went so far as to say you're done with me and now you seem to be lashing me in a reply someone else. You need help, that's pretty creepy behavior in itself. It's almost obsessive.

4.) You contradict yourself again, if you think morality is subjective then you believe slavery isn't really wrong, and anything immoral can be defended.

This thread has gone too far with your petty and immature remarks. I'm requesting that it get shut down because we already know where this is headed. You never wanted a serious converaation, obviously and you are trying to pin your wrongs on me (like saying I can't admit I'm wrong when it's really you.) And what's with you sarcastically questioning gender based on a username? My name is SharkBoy and that doesn't mean I am automatically a male? Lol Ugggghhh... kids these days.

To end, I'm truly kinda disappointed, I had hoped for a better outcome. I expect this kinda nonsense and trolling on Steam but was hoping this forum would be a safe place from this kinda bigotry.

Lol you are so triggered. Calling your mommy moderator because you can't take the heat. Well guess what? I am reporting all your posts in this thread to the mods. Two can play at that game, buddy.

1. I never said morality was subjective. I was quoting a person and debunking their arguments. I have no respect for subjective morality. But please, keep making a clown of yourself!

2. I was calling the GIRL in the thread above a girl. Not you. I wouldn't insult girls by comparing you to them.

You're the type of person who would attend an anti-hunting protest in a baggy white t-shirt with the words "True Christians know Sharks are God's children too!" And the other protesters would be cringing so hard. Admit it, bub. That twig man in the white t-shirt is you. 😏 😝

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol you are so triggered. Calling your mommy moderator because you can't take the heat. Well guess what? I am reporting all your posts in this thread to the mods. Two can play at that game, buddy.

1. I never said morality was subjective. I was quoting a person and debunking their arguments. I have no respect for subjective morality. But please, keep making a clown of yourself!

2. I was calling the GIRL in the thread above a girl. Not you. I wouldn't insult girls by comparing you to them.

You're the type of person who would attend an anti-hunting protest in a baggy white t-shirt with the words "True Christians know Sharks are God's children too!" And the other protesters would be cringing so hard. Admit it, bub. That twig man in the white t-shirt is you. 😏 😝
I'm not triggered lol You're just desperately trying to troll me and make me look like I'm triggered. Report away, your last comment gave you away though. I'm sure the mods are smart enough to see through the bs ;) Just remember that I'm not replying to other people and trying my darnest to tear you down, I sure must have struck a nerve but yet I'm the one triggered? Ha, okay.

1.) Didn't make myself look like a fool though, you implied that people could have whatever opinion they want on animal morality which covers human morality as well - there is no difference no matter how you want to seperate that. This is what you don't understand and what we see in animal behavior IF we are being honest. For instance, a dog will get mad if another dog steals his toy. A dog will get jealous and act on that jealousy. Animal territorialism, etc. You can tell I've certainly done my research and I study animal behavior in my yard everyday - deer, squirrels, cats, dogs, etc. You on the other hand have no clue how the animal kingdom really works. You've proved this as both your primary account and your alternate account.

2.) I wasn't talking about me, I merely used my user-name as an example. How hard is it to admit when you are wrong? All I was saying is that you shouldn't go around assuming gender and making it into a joke by mocking it, that's immature and disrespectful.

3.) I guess that means you would be that smelly old homeless man at the corner of the street waving a crusty sign, shouting how the earth is flat and how we should believe things without any proof or evidence and if we don't go your way, we'll be comsumed in a lake of fire.

Any more insults? Like you say, two can play this game but I just showed you that I can do it better 😂

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not triggered lol You're just desperately trying to troll me and make me look like I'm triggered. Report away, your last comment gave you away though. I'm sure the mods are smart enough to see through the bs ;) Just remember that I'm not replying to other people and trying my darnest to tear you down, I sure must have struck a nerve but yet I'm the one triggered? Ha, okay.

1.) Didn't make myself look like a fool though, you implied that people could have whatever opinion they want on animal morality which covers human morality as well - there is no difference no matter how you want to seperate that. This is what you don't understand and what we see in animal behavior IF we are being honest. For instance, a dog will get mad if another dog steals his toy. A dog will get jealous and act on that jealousy. Animal territorialism, etc. You can tell I've certainly done my research and I study animal behavior in my yard everyday - deer, squirrels, cats, dogs, etc. You on the other hand have no clue how the animal kingdom really works. You've proved this as both your primary account and your alternate account.

2.) I wasn't talking about me, I merely used my user-name as an example. How hard is it to admit when you are wrong? All I was saying is that you shouldn't go around assuming gender and making it into a joke by mocking it, that's immature and disrespectful.

3.) I guess that means you would be that smelly old homeless man at the corner of the street waving a crusty sign, shouting how the earth is flat and how we should believe things without any proof or evidence and if we don't go your way, we'll be comsumed in a lake of fire.

Any more insults? Like you say, two can play this game but I just showed you that I can do it better 😂

LOL

I didn't even read your post, t-shirt boy. But I like that it's long, because it meant you wasted your time.

Please do it again! 😉

Upvote 0
LOL

I didn't even read your post, t-shirt boy. But I like that it's long, because it meant you wasted your time.

Please do it again! 😉
Trollin again I see, good deal.

I guess you're running outta ideas. Have a good night!

p.s
Not sure I believe ya, you seem pretty obsessive as you're watching the thread like a hawk right now. Think you just want to 1up me ;)

Upvote 0
Mother Shark went on a killing spree, of course it was right to end her.

But - and there is a but here - Scaly Pete's reasons for doing it were not so good, exemplified by maiming the baby shark.
Yes, and I will add that revenge is a nasty business. People that are angry and vengeful towards something or the idea of something that makes them livid do some pretty off the wall stuff. Also, vengeance never ends well in any case as we seen in the ending of this game. I think that after Pete cut the little pup and she bit his hand off, it then put a mark on Pete because she seen what he looked like and tasted his blood. Though it's just a game, in my opinion, the player shark isn't out for revenge because Pete killed her mother but more than likely because of the action that Pete took against her by maiming her. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.