• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando Tips

Electrocuuute

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
1. Let's face it; Bullpulp isn't a heavy damage dealer. Unless you're aiding your teammates or you're solo, don't waste your time trying to gun down a Scrake, FP, or the Patriarch. Spend your time picking off Crawlers, Sirens, Stalkers, Gorefasts, Bloats, and Clots (in that order if possible).

2. DO NOT WASTE AMMO. The alternate fire for the bullpulp is a toggle from single to automatic firing. Unless you're helping take down a stronger specimen or you're cornered, keep it on single fire. If you're in a hall and your team is firing down it (biolabs), I still reccommend staying in single shot. From my experience, even when the specimen is dead, it still acts as a meat shield and absorbs your bullets until it falls down and exposes it's allies behind it.

3. AIM FOR THE HEAD. Aim just a bit above the eyes on the heads of the specimens, and you should behead them easily. It saves ammo, and unless they're up in your face, they'll bleed out before they stay blindly swinging.

I don't really know much else, but if anyone else has tips for playing Commando add them.

I've just been playing with the bullpup for 15+ hours this weekend (damn stalker kills ...) and I always keep mine on full auto for emergencies.
You just need to get rid of your itchy trigger finger and use short steady bursts.
To my experience, a single tap of the fire button when you are on full auto will usually fire 2 bullets. That's enough to take off the head of most weak/medium specimens (1 bullet sometimes isnt enough. on stalkers for example)

As for my own killing priority. STALKERS ABOVE ALL ELSE.
You need to spend 40+ hours with people who let you kill 90% of the stalkers in each wave just for your perk requirement. And then you still need to spend several hours to finish your damage requirement. That is more time to get to level 5 than all other perks COMBINED.
Sirens and Crawlers are my second and third priority though.

And if your team won't let the commando's kill most of the stalkers then screw them.
See a Siren sneaking up on them? Let it scream.
A fleshpound? Enrage it without warning your team.
If they act like jerks then they deserve to die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even on Suicidal with 6 People, you only need ONE (Count 'em) ONE bullpup bullet to the head (WITHOUT the Commando perk!) to cause:

Clots
Gorefasts
Bloats
Crawlers
Sirens

To bleed out. Use semi-auto. Unless you're in a cramped space like Biolabs, in which case full auto.

Stalkers should be on that list, I don't know for Suicidal though.
I've gotten single headshots on stalkers plenty of times, but usually they're at random. I always aim for the head though.

Upvote 0
mmm... 300k bullpup damage left for commando lvl 5 :cool:

And how many stalkers ? :p

Stalker req is the easiest part, I'm on 1.2k stalkers with only 400k damage. Albeit my lowest level perk but still

Lolwut ?
Each time I reach my stalker req, I almost have the damage req for the next level ... :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Things to buy as a commando, from most important to least

1. Fill ammo - fairly obvious
2. Bullpup - you're not a commando with out one
3. Armour - fairly obvious
4. ONE handcannon - more on this later
That's it, don't every buy anything else

Why one handcannon for sidearm? Let's look at our options

9mm - not bad in the first 3 rounds if you have nothing else. Useful for everying except skrakes, it fills pretty much the same role as your bullpup (ie killing small targets)

dual 9mm - see 9mm comments above. Catch is that with dual you get higher RoF and mag capacity for greatly reduced accuracy. Not a good choice for commandos as 9mm fill the same role as bullpup, except not as lethal. You generally only pull out 9mm towards end of a round when your bullpup run out, and a single 9mm is good enough in those situations and an additional one doesn't bring enough benefits to justify the cost and weight.

shotgun - shotgun is not a bad choice, but again it's mostly used for killing small targets like the bullpup. It does better against skrakes and flesh pounds than bullpup so that's a plus. This one is up to you but personally, I find that I don't get much use out of a shotgun to justify it's weight and cost.

lever action rifle - good for small targets at mid to long range. rifle doesn't give you anymore answers against skrakes and flesh pounds, and the bullpup is quite good at long range anyway with its semi auto mode and reflex sight, not a good choice for a commando

handcannon - this pistol does surprisingly high damage against tough targets like skrakes and flesh pounds. Skrakes will go down in two clips if you land a few headshots and flesh pounds will go down in about four (make sure to space it out though, 3 handcannon round will rage it). The fact that this gun gives the commando somewhat of a chance against the two targets his bullpup is weak against makes this gun top choice for a commando sidearm. And you get to level up your sharpshooter perks too!

dual handcannon - one is good but two isn't necessarily better. Duel handcannons have the same amount of ammo as a single one, costs more, weights more, is much less accurate, does not count towards sharpshooter perk. The only plus is that you get to unload 16 .50AE rounds out before you have to reload. But considering its low accuracy and lack of iron sight, the only time 16 rounds is useful is when you're in kissing distance to a flesh pound, in which case the smart thing to do would be to get out the knife and run. Running + plinking with a single handcannon is much safer way of fighting flesh pounds.

melee weapon - there's nothing you can get while carrying a bullpup that would be useful against skrakes and fleshpounds. Stick with the knife.

Upvote 0
I actually go with dual handcannons for the damage, not accuracy.

In my opinion, the trade off (damage for accuracy/ammo/weight) is worth it. I only ever use the handcannons when I'm taking down a fleshpound or scrake. For the Patriarch, I unload a clip of my bullpulp and then switch to the handcannons.

EVERYTHING else, I use the bullpulp for. The bullpulp (at least at my level) just doesn't do enough damage and isn't worth the ammo expense. And it's not that hard to get a headshot with dual handcannons. The trick is getting used to having your target in the very middle of your screen where your ironsights WOULD be if they were drawn up.

Upvote 0
The only reason to pick a single Handcannon as a secondary weapon is to boost Sharpshooter with it. Otherwise its Dual Handcannons all the way (and it boosts Shotgun damage instead...). 16 shots is better than 8 if you've just unloaded your Bullpup on an enraged Fleshpounder and had to switch to secondary. Other than that why not use your Bullpup? As said you can 1 shot most weaker enemies in the head, that should give you some ammo conservation and the Bullpup has a zoom. Why use your secondary unless you have no other choice?

The Stalker requirement is ridiculous. I'm almost at lvl3 damage wise and i've not even passed 300 stalkers yet. Half the time they attack with other mobs and get shredded by Supports, the other half they attack from behind and give you a chance to kill them. Biolabs or Manor seem to be the best for Stalkers, depending on where your team are, but even then you get jack **** kills.

Upvote 0
Dual handcannons do NOT weigh more than a single handcannon.
the first handcannon weighs 4. The second adds nothing to the weight.

As for accuracy, this all comes down to your own skill. I easily shoot as accurate with duals as with a single when firing from the hip. You should get the feel for it pretty fast when playing with them.

I use my bullpup on everything except scrakes, FP's and the Pat. Sometimes I first unload a bullpup clip into them but then switch to dual handcannons to finish them off.

When it comes to taking off the head of a stalker, I always need 2 bullets on normal difficulty in a 6 man game to take the head off a stalker (which also kills it right away). That's with level 3 commando.
Maybe a level 4 can do it with 1 bullet and let it bleed out? But then you risk someone else shooting at it and stealing your kill. So I rather spend a couple more bullets just to be sure I get the kill to advance my perk :)

Upvote 0
dmg requirement is not too bad...ignore everything the bullpup suggests such as headshots and so on and just pump clip after clip into the bodies of gorefasts and skrakes..heck even clots!

This is very ammo intensive, but 9 magazines per wave will get you quite a lot of damage..around 7k if in skrakes and so on. I carry a LAR for trash, saving bullpup ammo, and only whip it out against stalkers and skrakes. Medium paced stalker/dmg levelling, whilst getting marksman up as well. My preferred class for this (on hard) is medic.

Upvote 0
dmg requirement is not too bad...ignore everything the bullpup suggests such as headshots and so on and just pump clip after clip into the bodies of gorefasts and skrakes..heck even clots!

This is very ammo intensive, but 9 magazines per wave will get you quite a lot of damage..around 7k if in skrakes and so on. I carry a LAR for trash, saving bullpup ammo, and only whip it out against stalkers and skrakes. Medium paced stalker/dmg levelling, whilst getting marksman up as well. My preferred class for this (on hard) is medic.

That's pretty much it. You can't do your "Headshot" stuff and level up damage in any reasonable amount of time. A clip to the body of a gorefast can get 200-300 damage. A headshot will be lucky if it nets you 50...the rest of the damage to the Gorefast comes from bleeding out...

Upvote 0