• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combine Perks?

i was just wondering if we could combine perks

for example:
sharpshooter + commando
medic + berzerker

And if you do combine them and both of your perks are level 6 then they would become level 1 after combination.

If I'm not mistaken your suggesting crossing perks over with one another to grant each others abilities at the cost of damage bonus?

So a Shaprshooter-Commando could see stalkers (8m) and enemy health (4m) as well as get a headshot bonus (10%), but only do 10% extra weapon damage?

If thats it, then I'd have to say no I'm afraid. Each class fills its own role, and already we have alot of major balancing issues. Having perks cross over eliminates their own identities and makes for a balance nightmare.

To put it into perspective how would a Firebug-Sharpie work? Fire headshots?

What about a Berserker-Medic? A healing katana? As badass as that sounds... just no :)

Keep thinking dude, but I dont think this one would help the game... although YoYoBatty is working on a single player campaign based on the original KF1.0 mod. That had no perks, just weapons, so technically you do have you multi purpose class in there

Upvote 0
Maybe as an un-whitelisted mutator.

just so you could combine commando with another perk to see health bars, and get a feel of what kind of damage each perk does with each of thier perk associated weapons.

Kinda like training i suppose,

But definitely not to be white listed.

Upvote 0
i understand this is not what you ment in this thread but it got me thinking..... I recon berzerker and firebug should be combined into a stronger perk, they seem a little weak compared to the others, and flamer with a melee weapon do complement each other somewhat.
I guess it would have to be renamed 'nutter' or something.
Terrible idea. They are completely separate perks that have no relation to each other. Melee is good with firebug only because they don't have crap for ammo and little remaining weight capacity after flamethrower.

Firebug was added in retail because there was a call for it in mod because there was a flamethrower but no perk for it, making it basically unusable because of self-damaging fire and meager, if any, bonuses from perks.

Upvote 0
Terrible idea. They are completely separate perks that have no relation to each other. .

I dunno, the guy who wanders off and chops stuff and the guys who wanders off and burns stuff.....and then chops stuff

[QUOTE='[UIT] Akame;552863'

Melee is good with firebug only because they don't have crap for ammo and little remaining weight capacity after flamethrower..[/QUOTE]

well, yes my point in part

[QUOTE='[UIT] Akame;552863'
Firebug was added in retail because there was a call for it in mod because there was a flamethrower but no perk for it, making it basically unusable because of self-damaging fire and meager, if any, bonuses from perks.[/QUOTE]

yeah i don't think it would have so bad if they had given flamethrower abilities to the berzerker.

I'd be more interested then playing a combined perk than i am in playing either of them. Whole being greater than the sum of it's parts, or whatever.

Upvote 0
I dunno, the guy who wanders off and chops stuff and the guys who wanders off and burns stuff.....and then chops stuff
You could really make that argument about any of the perks. It just happens that the two who are in the need of a boost would marginally benefit from a merge. But firebug really would be different -ie no longer flamethrower perk- and berserker doesn't really need the flamethrower.

Upvote 0
You could really make that argument about any of the perks. It just happens that the two who are in the need of a boost would marginally benefit from a merge. But firebug really would be different -ie no longer flamethrower perk- and berserker doesn't really need the flamethrower.

well for starters it's a 6 player game, but has 7 perks, which i guess quietly nags at my muddled little brain. I'm not surprised if you say the firebug perk was introduced later, it seems like the response to a weapon hense it's name that doesn't really sound as good as the others.

This perk and the berzerker seem to be the least popular, attract the most attention regarding new weapons, or discussions about limitations and effects on teamplay.
They both seem a bit like 'rogue' or oddball perks, and i would say the game would be better with just one class like that.
So if TWi were to play around with any of the perks, these 2 would be contenders - particularly the firebug with just boosted 1 primary weapon choice.

Adding something like a flaregun, that could be carried with the chainsaw, and rolling the 2 classes into one could make a new perk more interesting than the 2 seperate one combined i recon, not to mention the fact it would satisfy my my rather demented 6 players/ 6 perks obsession.

All moot of course, but the thread title prompted me to venture my opinion.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So demo is the 7th perk? - seems to fit perfectly with the game for me

I'm against combining any perks (and for the record, at release KF had 6 perks, Demo was added later), but I do support weapons that are multi-perk and benefit from different set of bonuses depending on the user's perk. For example, for a weapon that both Berserker and Firebug can use:

[URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39982&highlight=thermal+lance"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39982&highlight=thermal+lance"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39982&highlight=thermal+lance[/URL][/URL][/URL]

well you had this a firebug weapon and prob rightly so, however with the multi perk idea you would, for example swing this lance faster and/or further as a berzerker, but do more damage as a firebug?
I don't mind this concept and it would add more weapon combination complexity which is great but it would be best to work idea this right through the whole arsenal, not with just 1 or 2 weapons.
But in the absence of introducing loads of new interesting weapons I stand by the combined melee/pyro class idea

On a side note, whist talking of firebug melee i think they should be able to weld the specimen's faces. I imagine i'm 1 of many of ppl who have suggested that.

Upvote 0
I'm for mixing 'zerker and firebug. In my mind, they're two perks that only mad men would imitate in real life. Thus, mixing them is fitting :3

Well, that and they both lack diversity. If firebug had another weapon, one that you can wield alongside to a chainsaw, you'd have a choice between full 'zerker, katana+flamethrower, chainsaw+(insert new FB weapon here), or full FB. Thus giving them/it diversity.

But one problem comes to my mind: would there be a nerf to their current habilities? Wouldn't it be overpowered to have fire nades, bonus to fire, un-grabbiness, increased resistance to damage, immunity to fire, move faster, bonus zed-time, faster melee, faster reload with FT, spawn with chainsaw and flamethrower (above weight limit, btw)...
In fact, the right question would be: how would it be balanced?

Upvote 0
Oh yeah. I'm against mixing every other perk. The only one I'd accept, is 'zerker and firebug. Maybe call it... Flaming Berserker? (JK)
Crimson Lance?

more like "pyro-lancer" or "burning wilder"

But anyway when looking at perks, you should be looking for what role they fill overall. The big issue with berserker is that you don't need a tank because you can kill spec before they reach you and the 'zerkers get in the way of taking shots. Firebugs do what all other perks also do well -taking care of trash mobs. It can (arguably) do this better than any other perk but will inevitably run out of gas before other perks. So neither perk specialize well or fit into much needed roles so their flaws hurt them so much more than any of the other perks. Combining them will not change this, thus my issue with combining them.

Upvote 0
well, asides from the combining berzerker and flamer, i've given this idea some thought and think it could be fun as it would add more individual customisation.
Maybe you could only take a secondary perk with 50% of your current level's benefit. (so say support @100% of level5 and commando @50% of level 3 for instance)
Or, so it's not too overpowered, if you decide to take 2 perks they run at 50% each, or phaps your major perk at 66% and the 2nd at 33%.

Problem is abilities like not being grabbed are clear cut, so phaps you should lose them if in this instance berzerk is secondary.
Another problem is that if someone mods this they will have to alter the menu system.

Upvote 0
Another problem is that if someone mods this they will have to alter the menu system.
If the system was completely overhauled these suggestions would be possible as well as having point totals to distribute among abilities. Testing would be a nightmare with so many different combinations and situations to test. And it would take work to implement. As it is I find it more interesting to run lower perk levels and customize by using different weapon sets or mess around with carrying an armory around as level 6 support.

Upvote 0