• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close combat needs some love

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
Due to auto IS-zoom, the close combat game is hurting in RO2. And given the close-quarter nature of the Stalingrad maps, this certainly is an issue. Advancing in CQB in IS becomes a claustrophobic experience, inviting players to instead just run in with weapons at hip level.

Now, I am aware you can do a trick with the .ini files to give you 0 IS zoom, and use focus zoom to switch to zoom when you need it, but there are some issues with this:

- weapon models are out of scale when zoom is smaller than 1 (see previous threads that show this)
- having to rely on focus zoom for long range means you drop out of zoom whenever you move, even when walking while in IS
- having to rely on focus zoom means you have to keep a button pressed for a longer amount of time in long range combat, which is not user friendly
- overlap of functionality: controlling your breath and zooming bound to same button
- it does not work in Classic as there is no focus zoom
- it's an ini tweak a lot of people won't know about

I think this game would benefit from an official IS zoom toggle button, which overcomes the above issues.

Last edited:
I sort of agree, but I don't know why you would want to clear a building with your sights up. Sure that how it may work today but I've never seen the use of using your sights in CQC the ranges are just far to close when you're breaching a building to be focusing through sights. The probability you'd hit someone while hip firing is pretty big, unless you're guarding a stairwell or a lengthy hallway I see no reason to use sights.

I'm sure they didn't run in hipfiring everywhere IRL, but I'm sure they weren't deadset on their sights either, probably a medium to both stances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I sort of agree, but I don't know why you would want to clear a building with your sights up. Sure that how it may work today but I've never seen the use of using your sights in CQC the ranges are just far to close when you're breaching a building to be focusing through sights. The probability you'd hit someone while hip firing is pretty big, unless you're guarding a stairwell or a lengthy hallway I see no reason to use sights.

I'm sure they didn't run in hipfiring everywhere IRL, but I'm sure they weren't deadset on their sights either, probably a medium to both stances.

Yeah... compare real life, where you have TOTAL control of your body, with a game where you need to use a keyboard and mouse to move and aim. And yet, your movement is (sometimes) clunky. So, because at that time soldiers where not always using their sights, doesn't mean we have to suffer that same stance or whatever you want to call it.

It feels so uncomfortable to have a zoom-in when I just want to make sure I'm going to hit the enemy I have 50cm in front of me, and then get killed because I lost sight of him/her when he/she moved out of my camera view

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For playing classic (or classic/custom, where you don't have shift-zoom) I have my zoom set to high for the rifles, and to minimum for the SMGs. If I'm using an SMG in a building, that's perfect. Aiming the Rifle at close range is still a bit of a problem, but that's why God invented bayonets.

This, more than any other thing, is why I like to have a zoom option.

Upvote 0
huh, I've never used zoom in close combat. I've just never been a big fan of zoom, period. I don't think it helps with the fog of war aspect.
but, whatever...

I may have been unclear.

Having a low zoom is very handy for room fighting, since I get a lot more peripheral vision. If I had my way, my default for all my weapons would be minimum zoom, but if I do that, I can't see, let alone hit, anyone with my rifle further away than 50 meters.

Because I want to be able to hit people at long rage, I have my rifle zoom set to high.

My ideal situation would be if I had my defaults set to low zoom, and when I press the zoom button I zoom in to see targets at long range. More or less as "realism" works.

Because I play on classic servers and there is no variable zoom, I set my rifle zoom to default to high, and my SMG zoom to default to low. This is not ideal when I play on "realism" servers, but I can live with it.

Upvote 0