• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Classic speed - do you want changes

Classic speed - do you want changes

• No change

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Increasing full speed (exhausted stamina speed remains the same)

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Increasing exhausted stamina speed only

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Increasing speed in both: full speed and exhausted speed

Votes: 29 33.0%

• Total voters

[40-1]MORD

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2011
London
www.40-1.net
This has been discussed many many times. Things have changed after releasing RS beta - things like banzai charge don`t work as supposed in Classic IMO.
Choices:
-No change
-Increasing full speed (exhausted stamina speed remains the same)
-Increasing exhausted stamina speed only
-Increasing speed in both: full speed and exhausted speed

This poll is only about Classic speed not stamina. I think that stamina levels are the same in both game styles - its about 17 sec (compared to Realism level zero speed).Correct me if I wrong please. If there is a need we can make another poll about stamina.
To make eventual changes easier to implement for TWI I`m suggesting making Classic full/exhausted speed the same as Realism without progression bonus, level zero IF any of options of increasing speed win.

The classic running speed has never worked and yes, RS has made that a hundred times more apparent because of banzai charges.

I vote for having the exact same running speeds, exhausted and un-exhausted, for classic mode and here is why:

You simply can't design one map for two completely different types of movement and pacing. I'm sure TWI have thought about this already
but imagine designing a map, at one point you design an open field that needs to be crossed. At first it has no cover and everyone gets shot when trying to cross it, after realizing that you dump a whole lot of cover into the map. After testing it turns out the cover is too dense and everybody manages to get through there while the defenders get completely overwhelmed.
So you start removing cover again and keep testing until you hit a certain sweet spot, just the right amount of cover.

And then the next day you add a new mode with a lot slower movement to the game and suddenly figure out that that carefully balanced field in your map provides way too little cover for the new kind of movement but if you add any more cover, o that it may work with the new movement, it will certainly break the balance for the original movement.

And this is how it will always be, if you assume that the probability to be killed is proportional to the time out of cover (which is damn reasonable) there is nothing you can do about that except make two variants of the maps for each mode.

I won't even mention the problems with round time and reinforcements, the above reason in itself is already the simplest logical problem that makes classic movement speed a problem.

Upvote 0
Classic always cried for more speed, now peoepl see it is an issue when banzai charge nefed into oblivion because of it but there were people who liked charging even before RS.

only partly true since i see enough people charging from spawn, effectifly reducing their stamina left, when reaching the battlefield.

IMO the stamina thing is the only tweak classic really needs.

-Increasing speed in both: full speed and exhausted speed

Upvote 0
I voted for no change, I like it as it is.

I do agree that the banzai charge is ineffective, is there a way to have the banzai speed alone the same as realism?

Sounds good. It would be cool if with a banzai charge with just one person (not really a banzai charge then), they get no bonuses. Then, as more people join in, with each additional player, the speed and stamina steadily increase to the base values in realism.

Upvote 0
I'd say the full speed should be increased to the same as level 1 in Realism. Everything else is good in my opinion.
Stamina is nothing if you can't run across to cover fast enough. :)

As of now, the maps are mostly made for Realism in mind, so increasing the running speed to level 1 (no bonus speed) of Realism would be a nice compromise. I think everyone would be happy as maps would then be made for both Classic and Realism modes without any bias.

Last edited:
Upvote 0