• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cease and desist / Why I <3 TW

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I thought that was very nicely written and I enjoyed the read. Followed the satirical style very well and was quite funny and accurate.
Just look at the MMORPLG community. Try to find a game that doesn't have the monthly fee crap, you'll have to search for a bit to find one.
Honestly, I never could see the sense in customers pay for updates for a game that they have already bought.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
First of all, I thought that was very nicely written and I enjoyed the read. Followed the satirical style very well and was quite funny and accurate.
Just look at the MMORPLG community. Try to find a game that doesn't have the monthly fee crap, you'll have to search for a bit to find one.
Honestly, I never could see the sense in customers pay for updates for a game that they have already bought.:rolleyes:

The monthly fee makes sense in the fact that it
1) forces the developer to keep the game exciting so that people keep paying for it,
2) makes people want to play the game more since they've paid for the whole month (more people playing=better game).

If updates cost money, then the developers have an incentive to make a good (or at least promising) game in the first place, for which customers would be happy to pay more in the form of updates. Nobody buys updates for a bad game. It's pretty close to the "periodic games" which have been touted recently as a revolutionary idea.

Because updates cost money, this means that the customer has a choice as to how much of the whole cost she pays:
1) Pay for the basic version (buy the original game)
2) If the basic version is good, then buy an update

I think that Tripwire has chosen a bold strategy in not trying flog us customers for all we're worth right from the start. Keeping the cost of RO low has led to huge demand and since RO is so good people keep playing it, which, given that RO is multi-player only, only serves to increase demand. I for one bought the game after my neighbor showed fifteen minutes of Stalingrad-Kessel to me and I doubt I'd have bought the game if it hadn't been so cheap (compared to other games). My brother saw the same fifteen minutes and bought RO as well and I've already sold RO to two friends.

Upvote 0
You have some good points there. The incentive and motivational aspect of extra cash is definitely a plus in most development.
And yes, more people would be better in terms of revenue for TW, but thats common sense. Game devs have to eat too.
I disagree with the monthly fee because it turns a relatively cheap form of recreation in the form of one video game into a cash hog. And it instills the need to play more, because if you don't...you feel like you're wasting money.
Sure, it does not look like much but it adds up at the end of the year. (e.g. High-speed net fee + Game account fee + update fee) And thats just for starters...suppose you need a new vid card so you can enjoy the new game updates' new bells and whistles without lagging or crashing or generally screwing up somehow.
TW is doing the right thing IMHO.
At least in regard to penny-pinchers like me. LOL :D

Upvote 0
The post there is dated 15th June 2005... so Letum - go stand in the corner with a pointed hat with the letter 'P' (for plagiarist) on it.

I am very disappointed. You may not have claimed the work as your own but you certainly did not make any effort to let people know it WASN'T yours. :mad:

One unpleasant aspect of my job is that it involves busting about 2 to 3 students per year for doing this kind of thing with term assignments and I am very sad to see it here.

Upvote 0
I am tempted to spill out excuses, but when it comes down to it there are none.
You are, of course, quite right. It was very shameful of me not to credit and acknowledge the the writer, "Badger" whose work I edited and presented as my own. Very shameful.
First I forgot to credit the writer and then, after realizing my mistake I buried my head in the sand and chose not to take responsibility for it. Now I must take responsibility for both mistakes.
I apologize fully to both Badger and everyone else who I have shown my dishonour to.
Sorry Guys.

I shall edit the OP ASAP.
It would perhaps be correct to delete the post, but I think that would be a shame. If you feel differently then please let me know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.