• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CD-Action preview of RO2

Apos

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2007
Europe
www.enclave.pl
Hey, one of the biggest polish video game magazines published preview of RO2. Nothing new here (except some details about SP), however preview shocked me. CD-Action in last years wasn't so good, but they wrote some reaaaaly nice words about HoS.

No Scans Please -Bobdog

Sorry Bobdog! - Apos

Here's my little translation of the article

Producer: Tripwire Interactive
Release date: Q2 2011
MP: up to 64 players

Beware fans of Halo, Killzone and Call of Duty, please leave that page. Here, real man will talk about real war.

We’re kidding, but in age of console domination, lack of good new PC FPS games is noticeable, for those, who take realism over reflex madness. I'm not talking here about making a hole in the wall with grenade in hardcore mode. Dynamism and spirit (drama) of real battlefield can be done much better. Tripwire has a tone of great ideas how to do it.

Enemy at the games

Stalingrad, 1942/43. You probably can’t find other battle, where people made such hell for themselves. Even if you wasn’t urgent on history class or didn’t bother of Annaud and Vilsmair’s movies, Red Orchestra 2 w/o doubt nail you “what is the war”.

Friendly crosshair in the middle of the screen? Forget it, iron sights or scope are your new friends. W/o them you can’t even hit the wall. Sprint with double shotgun? After few steps you would be so exhausted, that even iron sights wouldn’t help you. Little break (meditation) in peaceful corner to restore your health? Sorry man, you have to bandage your wounds immediately to fight again or you can run to the front to fire few shots and die. Don’t expect friendly HUD, who tells you when you have to reload. You can at most check weight of your ammo clip (is it heavy or light).

We will be back faithful [quote from polish famous movie “Four tank men and a dog” from 60s].

Let’s add to that ballistic from physics book, cover system (FPP only, so we’ve got real blind firing) and tons of detailed in smallest pieces warfare. Those elements make game interesting even for the biggest historical geeks like me.

Besides that, I mentioned tanks. In those (tanks) player can take a slot of three specific roles. From other side those can be destroyed or damaged in many ways. Including ammo rack, which can blow off entire tank.

It might be one of the best PC games of this year!

More than twelve in trench [polish word game here]

Red Orchestra 2 is w/o doubt kick-*** of all multiplayer gamemodes: from 64 players battles, where one team attack and other defend next targets to co-op campaign. Except privates, each team will hold own commander/leader – persons responsible for calling backup (reinforcements) and artillery. In single player mode (including 1st in the world Wehrmacht soldier campaign) battles take place on the special versions of multiplayer maps. Those offer story missions and challenges, to prepare newbies to war in multiplayer.

Running on Unreal Engine 3 (graphic is grey-dirty, muddy/brown, however not graphic but gameplay would be the most interesting) Tripwire Interactive hit the PC world in Q2 of the year. Does it (RO2) revive/resurrect forgotten in these days magic of Enemy territory and “old” Battlefield? Why not, this game really can flip the world!

Fans from Poland, I'd like to invite you to official polish RO site, www.red.orchestra.pl

I hope you like it and translation is not that bad.

Last edited:
Yep, it seems more and more people will eventually hear of RO2 by its release, I just hope it will be a LOT of people from the start, because I am 100% certain there will be tons of players after a couple of months or so.

It is also refreshing to read previews of RO2, makes you feel like the writer actually enjoyed doing his job and didn't have to use the same old cliche lines to spice up things. I remember the last few gaming magazines I bought some years ago were full of overemphasized crap... I am definitely buying PC Gamer when it reviews HOES and put it somewhere safe for the rest of my life :p

Upvote 0
Thanks!

My favorite part:
In single player mode (including 1st in the world Wehrmacht soldier campaign) battles take place on the special versions of multiplayer maps. Those offer story missions and challenges, to prepare newbies to war in multiplayer.

@Doomis. PC-Gamer that reviews RO:HOES has been in the bookstores for couple of weeks now. (At least in the US).

Upvote 0
Story missions and challenges in SP? So some parts will be scripted?

I guess those would be small missions, tutorials for beginners. E.g. defend that point for X minutes, attack another point using artillery support, destroy enemy tank(s) with AT rifle etc. So brief/debrief, cut-scenes would be scripted, but mission itself not.
I'm wondering if this offline training will unlock specific roles or weapons for multiplayer. We had nice debate about that some time ago on forum.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to be seeing more reviews of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

Yup, too bad that's the first preview from my country. I follow most polish computer and video games websites or magazines and CD-Action is the first who wrote some warm and honest words about RO2. Others write absolutely nothing about RO2, not even put the game on list "upcoming releases", etc. Everywhere is overrated CoD or BF.

Upvote 0