• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Canadian Combat Video in afghan

More from the videographer here, I believe:
http://www.beloblog.com/KGW_Blogs/afghanistan/

I have no idea why the allies are being issued the AK-47, which, of course, was phased out three decades ago. The AK-74 offers good reliability and a cartridge similar to that used in the M-16, and then there's replacements (AK-101?) that actually fire the 5.56mm NATO. You can see the recoil just isn't good, nor are the terminal effects. ...

Upvote 0
More from the videographer here, I believe:
http://www.beloblog.com/KGW_Blogs/afghanistan/

I have no idea why the allies are being issued the AK-47, which, of course, was phased out three decades ago. The AK-74 offers good reliability and a cartridge similar to that used in the M-16, and then there's replacements (AK-101?) that actually fire the 5.56mm NATO. You can see the recoil just isn't good, nor are the terminal effects. ...

They are being issued AK's because that is what their government chose. Their choice was based on the fact that there were tons of them in their respective area to be had, they are cheap, their armies could be fitted with them quickly (most already were), and their soldiers were already used to them. The decision wasn't NATO's choice since the Afghani army is not apart of NATO. Western countries give them funds and the Afghani government decides what to do with them.

Good stuff. I've always wondered, why do soldiers always tap the magazine on their helmet before putting it into the gun? I've seen it many times in movies, but this is the first time I see a real soldier doing it.

This is done with guns that tend to jam (ie: the m16 and varients). Tapping on the helmet shifts the shells to the rear of the mag, which (hopefully) lines them up better so they are fed perfectly. Running around with mags on you shifts the shells around in them slightly which can cause problems, especially on picky guns.

Upvote 0
I believe the tapping also used to be done to clear any extra debris, e.g., knocking some loose sand out.

ummmm... I don't remember learning/hearing anything about that in the service. The way I see it, if you tap a mag two or three times and debris comes flying out, you probably shouldn't be loading it into your weapon. Anyway, I guess it could be for that, too...

Upvote 0
Smacking magazines is good practice with just about anything.

If you have a gun, I'm SURE you've had instances where the top round is, for whatever reason, not properly aligned against the retention surfaces. Usually this misalignment has the cartridge facing too nose-down.

If you attempt to chamber on this, the cartridge will get stuck, and while this kind of jam is easy to clear, it's still a pain in the ass and can get you killed in combat.

This kind of misalignment is usually caused by the cartridge stack getting jostled and hanging up on something in the magazine (this doesn't necessarily mean the magazine is dirty, by the way; you can cause a mis-stack in pretty much any magazine). Smacking the magazine rear-first into something (your thigh, palm, whatever should be ok, although helmets are popular too) will force cartridges to the back of the magazine (where they should be), in the process jostling them lose of whatever the snag was and back into proper alignment.

Upvote 0
This is done with guns that tend to jam (ie: the m16 and varients). Tapping on the helmet shifts the shells to the rear of the mag, which (hopefully) lines them up better so they are fed perfectly. Running around with mags on you shifts the shells around in them slightly which can cause problems, especially on picky guns.

The shells moving forward is also one reason why taping mags together with the spare facing down is frowned upon (that and debris, bending the tabs at the top, etc.)

Upvote 0
thats was by far some of the best combat footy ive ever seen.
There've been over 25 combat related canadian deaths in Afghanistan, many in the past few months. This doesn't sound like much compared to american casualties, but canadians aren't used to seeing flag draped coffins.

We're in a tough bind. Our last prime minister sold Afghanistan to the public without really conveying the entire story. If we want to do it "right", we'll be there for 20 years, at least. I'm not sure the country has the stomach for that, especially if it's 20 years of that kind of action. On the other hand, I think the public kind of understands that if we leave a lot of people in that country are going to get killed.

i think that we canadians prefer not to lose our friends, brothers, fathers in a futile bid to appease the u.s public and its governments crooked/greedy ways. in fact 20 years is being conservative, especially if you take into account that there are u.s trained forces shooting at canadian troops on an all to often basis.
the canadian public doesnt really care who gets killed in the stan as long as its not a canadian. i am sure canadian public no doubt feels that gw bush has pulled the wool over the eyes of the american public. most know his lies and deception created the whole mess in both the stan and iraq.
unfortunately, people die all over the world on a daily basis. does that make it right to invade, rape and pillage? if so how come the states does not invade, rape and pillage itself? well, in fact it is. american spending on security has gone thru the roof in the last few years, so has the spending on the futile war on drugs. war = money for american big business. big business that gw bush either owns or has some sort of stake in. i doubt in the future the u.s.a will be able to drag itself away from war to find some other way to make money. war is how they became a superpower in the first place. presently faced with their downfall from superpowerdom, i believe they will continue thier plundering ways untill the rest of the world puts its collective foot down. yes it may seem american hate is popular, but by pushing themselves onto anyone who wont conform to thier ways they invite this behaviour. i am glad we are all still entitled to our own opinions even if some have been brainwashed by cnn.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert, but I believe the canadian C7 rifle comes standard with optics.

Check out the C7A2 in this pic: http://www.coltcanada.com/c7-page.htm
the optics on these rifles are canadian made. they are fairly cheap to produce and unlike other armies we give our boys the best we can afford. as well, quite a few u.s issued weapons have canadian made optics/laser mounted upon them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0