• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Canadian Combat Video in afghan

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC-w2dIxZc&mode=related&search=

I don't think this is the ambush that killed 3 soliders but it does have an RPG attack, as it wasn't mentioned. I was actually in CFB Trenton when those 4 dead soliders were flown back to canada.

A bit chilling

I kinda wish Red orchestra combat was more like this.

EDIT

Some more This one has Afghan, american and canadian forces taking part together.

For someone likely raised with an AK47 they sure are ****ty shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2r3C0PJ1LM&mode=related&search=

Dusk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_S9P1kMNuM&mode=related&search=

Seeing things like that really make you feel for the guys over there. That was some good footage, cant put my finger on it but it almost had a surreal feel to it. The "hold the gun over my head and fire blindly" shots of the videos would probably be like what I would be doing half the time. Never seen soldiers run and fire at the same time either, as well as all the frags.. some good footage there.

Upvote 0
your dick sounded like a .22
someone might as well **** you in the ears because you're not using them anyway. the fact is that ak-47 is the most reliable rifle in the world. m-16 requires more care than a woman does. I read that during vietnam a group of american soldiers uncovered a weapons cache hidden underground. they dug out the cache and found several ak-47. with all the dirt and mud inside the ak-47 it was still able to fire and I recall one of the americans saying "now this is a good rifle". in iraq americans have to clean their rifles almost 3 times daily otherwise the fire mechanism blocks. if you can't fire with it you might as well behead yourself before the iraqis do haha

Upvote 0
What recoil system Marion? They fire .223, which doesn't kick much in any weapon.

Great vids though, those canuks look like some tough characters, nice fire a movement going on, I hope they give it good to the Taliban :D

The PPCLI is a tough unit with a long combat history. They even have a presidential unit citation for combat in Korea.

Since the dismantling of the airborne regiment, the PPCLI is probably the elite unit in the Canadian armed forces.

Upvote 0
That is some good footage there you see from the camera what you would looking directly from the soldier's eyes. It's too bad that the west still has to be there... when will they all be able to leave?

There've been over 25 combat related canadian deaths in Afghanistan, many in the past few months. This doesn't sound like much compared to american casualties, but canadians aren't used to seeing flag draped coffins.

We're in a tough bind. Our last prime minister sold Afghanistan to the public without really conveying the entire story. If we want to do it "right", we'll be there for 20 years, at least. I'm not sure the country has the stomach for that, especially if it's 20 years of that kind of action. On the other hand, I think the public kind of understands that if we leave a lot of people in that country are going to get killed.

Upvote 0
We're in a tough bind. Our last prime minister sold Afghanistan to the public without really conveying the entire story. If we want to do it "right", we'll be there for 20 years, at least. I'm not sure the country has the stomach for that, especially if it's 20 years of that kind of action. On the other hand, I think the public kind of understands that if we leave a lot of people in that country are going to get killed.

Well, it took the russians about 10 years before deciding to pull out. I'm willing to bet that's what is going to happen again.

Upvote 0
I saw a lot of blind firing. I thought most "Western" fighting forces were encouraged not to do that?

Still, good combat footage. I like what the Canadian said at the very end of the Dawn Raid footage.

Depends on the force, and the situation. I've heard that some value bullets over lives, and others (USMC?) would rather have you shoot the hell out of everything around rather than take any chances.

I liked the room-clearing techniques in the Dawn Raid video. Frag it and then send some 5.56 in after. Nice.

Those were some MEAN Canadians. I'm glad they're on our side!!!

On the M16, yeah, they're probably not AS reliable as an AK47, but at least you can hit stuff past 300M, and range estimation is nowhere near as big an issue (7.62x39mm has a nice rainbow trajectory). The recoil system in the M16 is pretty neat (big spring goes back through the stock), though being .223, probably mostly unneeded. :p

Upvote 0
I like the recoil system in the M-16, it is my favorite. The return spring in the stock is brilliant, putting the recoil right into your shoulder like it should be.

I am convinced this reduces recoil since there is no akward assembly in the fore or middle of the rifle to knock it off balance.

Now if they'd just use a short piston instead of that goofy gas setup they have (HK416!!!!), it'd be as reliable, if not more so, than anything on the planet. In any case, they could finally ditch the forward assist!

Upvote 0
OK, couple of observations to make...

1. The person firing blindly with his rifle up over the wall had an AK. Meaning Afghan. Canadians and Americans get issued M16/M4 type rifles.

2. The "recoil system" on the M16 isn't why it has so little recoil. It's a gas-operated weapon firing 5.56/.223—recoil is more theoretical than anything else. About the only way to get any significant recoil using the round is out of a pistol (like the PLR-16, or any number of AR-based "pistols"), and even then it's not as bad as, say, .44 Magnum.

3. Note that the bore is in line with the top (ish) of the buttstock. Designs like this, where the buttstock doesn't dip below the top of the bore axis, are called straight-line (makes sense, right?). Muzzle flip is almost eradicated, because recoil forces go directly into your shoulder rather than "somewhere above", so there isn't really any rotation.

4. Biggest problem isn't the action. Troops make the Stoner system work "well enough" under combat conditions. If you want to drastically improve soldiers' firepower, you need a better round than 5.56x45 OR 7.62x39. Preferably something in the 6~6.5mm range. The Garand was originally supposed to be a 7mm weapon (.276 Pederson, ten-round enblocs), but the usual suspects blocked that. Garand was smart—he planned for the possibility of having to chamber the Garand in .30-06. People all over the place have been trying to go to 6.5~7mm cartridges since the turn of the century: the 6.5 Arisaka, 6.5 Swede (6.5x55, still popular as a hunting round). and 7mm Mauser all reflect this.

I thought it was interesting that so many of the Canadians were issued optics. I'm curious as to whether they were magnified or reflex optics. I saw a lot of what looked like ACOG mount bases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought it was interesting that so many of the Canadians were issued optics. I'm curious as to whether they were magnified or reflex optics. I saw a lot of what looked like ACOG mount bases.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the canadian C7 rifle comes standard with optics.

Check out the C7A2 in this pic: http://www.coltcanada.com/c7-page.htm

Upvote 0