• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2D Art Bump Map

danny_ray

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 8, 2009
Hi guys,
I don't really get it. I know how to create a seperate Bump-Map
and also how to load it in 3D modelling progs and hammer editor and so on...

But who the hell should do it in just 1 color map. I mean to save the color map and the bump map together in one file for example with photoshop?!

Or how can I load my created bump into the color map in photoshop(cs3)?

The UED for Killing Floor doesn't seems to be able to handle a seperate bump map.

So how does it work exactly with the grayscale method described in the mapping guide(step by step)?

I hope somebody can help me.

greetz
danny_ray

You can fake an almost-but-not-really-bumpmappy looking effect with specular maps. It has nothing to do with bumpmaps at all, but it makes textures look a little more "3d".

1. Create a new Shader in UnrealEd.
2. Import your texture.
3. Import an alpha texture that is more opaque where you want your "bumpmapped" texture to have its highlights later. It should be very translucent over-all and really only have small highlights or else the whole thing will shine later one as if it was covered with wax.
4. Create a CubeMap and TexEnvMap, either of the surrounding area or just something unreacognizable with a few highlights. It doesn't need to reflect anything, it just has to shine a bit from certain angles.
5. Use the texture as Diffuse, the alpha texture as SpecularMask and the TexEnvMap as Specular in the Shader you created before.

Now use the Shader instead of the texture.
(don't forget to add some detail texture and set the "Material" of the Shader (e.g. wood, metal, glass) so the correct splinters fall out when the surfaces with that Shader on them are shot ingame.

EDIT: Some folks also came up with a real faked bumpmapping effect for UT2004 a while ago. It was used in the HaloUT mod. It's not really feasible for everyday use in maps though, in my opinion.

EDIT: I just read the mapping guide and I am now also interested in a step-by-step tutorial for the "make your textures look grungy" tip in the guide. I'm not much of a 2d artist so the newbie-friendlier the better. Someone help us out here. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your cubemap is reasonably generic you can reuse it all over the level. It's just to create some shiney, dynamic high-lights. It doesn't have to reflect anything in particular.

It would be very nice if someone could elaborate the method described in the Mapping Guide!

I think your example pretty well covers it :) But since you're asking...

The best example I can think of is in CTF-FaceClassic (Unreal2004) which has an amazing wood texture that highlights the grains. It originates from H_E_L_Ltx.Walls.cp.cursewood2.

cp_cursewood2 is a dxt5 texture and it's used in Diffuse and SpecMask. The hard work of wood grain will be done in the alpha. The Spec is a texEnvMap using a single simple dxt1 texture.

If you have UT but the cursewood2 shader is speckled with water, it's where I've been drooling :D

Upvote 0
Here's a walk through of the guide method using photoshop:

duplicate the layer your texture is in by right clicking and choosing "duplicate layer" > hit OK

then go up to the filter menu > stylize > emboss

the default setting are usually pretty good
Then angle default is 90, you may want a slight angle for interest
the height is how much it with emboss or how much bump you want
amount is the intensity
click OK

then the layer you just embossed, go to the layer blend menu, you'll see it in the same window your layers are and by default it should say "Normal". Choose overlay

then you're all set

Upvote 0