• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring in lag compensation!

MrHello

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
I've seen many people talk about how it's neccessary to compensate for ping to the server.

This is disgusting, and entirely voids any realism the game has in bullet mechanics :\.

Can we band together and try to convince tripwire to include client hit detection!?

I'd prefer being able to hit off shots as they should be and have to deal with getting hit even when i'm behind cover after not being 1 second before, this is fine, as the other player still deserved that kill.

Why not even have a mixture, where on the client that has been hit, before it accepts that the shot is a hit, the server calculates if the hit player is still in a direct line to the original point of the shot. This would be an excellent mixture of both sides of hit detection.

Argh, please move this post to general discussion -_-

lag compensation introduces an entire other set of problems. you'll have blood spatters everywhere with nobody actually being hit and people being pissed because of that as well.

Plus, i absolutely HATE being shot when i am clearly around a corner, out of sight because of where I was at the time of the shot.

there is a thread somewhere describing why TWI chose to do it this way and it makes sense. not sure where it is though sorry :eek:

Upvote 0
lag compensation introduces an entire other set of problems. you'll have blood spatters everywhere with nobody actually being hit and people being pissed because of that as well.

Plus, i absolutely HATE being shot when i am clearly around a corner, out of sight because of where I was at the time of the shot.

there is a thread somewhere describing why TWI chose to do it this way and it makes sense. not sure where it is though sorry :eek:

ive read that thread as well and the dev make a great case for the way its set up in RO2.

Upvote 0
Nah.avi

The netcode is fine, I can't believe out of all the problems and bugs and performance issues you want to change one thing that is absolutely fine and works precisely as intended.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no.

slapping all of us an extra 100 ms for no reason is fine? are you drunk? That is EXACTLY the reson why I cant play.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you OP. Lack of lag compensation is the biggest gameplay killer in the game right now.

I can deal with bugs, as I can deal with occasional crashes and fps drops.

But THIS is what makes me rage so much, because for some reason I almost never have pings below 100, even on servers in my country (while i have 30-40 in other games). The game is based on bolt rifle fights, where you mostly have the time to fire only one shot. With latencies like this it's almost impossible to hit a running target.

This kills firefights and all the realism TWI tried to bring in, because the lead you need to take varies from server to server. There's no way there will be any competitive gameplay unless lag compensation is brought in.

Just limit it to 150ms and maybe think about OP's idea, everything will be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
slapping all of us an extra 100 ms for no reason is fine? are you drunk? That is EXACTLY the reson why I cant play.
Two things. Firstly, 100ms is not an unbearable ping, if you think it is then you've been very fortunate, perhaps even spoiled, in your gaming history. Some of us used to play RO as a mod on 230ms+ ping just fine. If you want to talk about games that slap 100ms onto your ping for no reason, perhaps you should be discussing the Battlefield series, which deliberately buffer every player's action for 100ms (and will almost certainly continue to do so in BF3).

Second, the increased pings are not the result of poor netcode or even of netcode at all. They're directly caused by server CPU load, itself caused by a problem in the game. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the netcode.

At the OP: Along with the other posters in this thread, I don't want to see lag compensation anywhere near this game. I loathe it wherever it's implemented and can't think of anything worse for RO2. Not to mention that it wouldn't actually help with the current server problems, it would actually make things worse.

Upvote 0
Two things. Firstly, 100ms is not an unbearable ping, if you think it is then you've been very fortunate, perhaps even spoiled, in your gaming history. Some of us used to play RO as a mod on 230ms+ ping just fine. If you want to talk about games that slap 100ms onto your ping for no reason, perhaps you should be discussing the Battlefield series, which deliberately buffer every player's action for 100ms (and will almost certainly continue to do so in BF3).

Second, the increased pings are not the result of poor netcode or even of netcode at all. They're directly caused by server CPU load, itself caused by a problem in the game. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the netcode.

At the OP: Along with the other posters in this thread, I don't want to see lag compensation anywhere near this game. I loathe it wherever it's implemented and can't think of anything worse for RO2. Not to mention that it wouldn't actually help with the current server problems, it would actually make things worse.

I wish it was 100..I wish...
100 is THE EXTRA that this game slaps over my usual 90 latency to the nearest servers, sometimes its even 120 more. And no, its not playable like that unless you mkb.

Upvote 0
Looks like all the games with unreal 3 engine seems to have this exceptional latency issue.
(I mean relatively slower bullet speed in +200ms ping, UE3 seems to have poor default ini setting causing this relatively severe lag, while some of EA's fpss had good ping optimization)

Unreal tournament 3 has relatively slow bullet speed in +200ms servers, america's army 3 also has this (though AA3 has poor graphic quality, source of this issue seems to be bad default setting of UE3./ It seems to take more resources than it looks= mostly with unnecessary amount of shadows or special effects )

For faster, more playable bullet speed with +200ms pinged servers, optimizing the game heavily really helped in my case.

I didn't completely disable the shadow or things like that but tweaked after 1,2.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=65000
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2094647

try to decrease texture MaxLOD size from 4096 to lesser values as 2048, 1024, 512, 256.

After tweaking with 1,2,3, I now can play in 250ms servers much easiler without severe bullet speed issues.
Hope you can have some luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
err, lag compensation, when implemented correctly, has virtually no downside. I get killed in cover in this game because there is still lag from the server telling me I got shot to where I think I am now. Its very juvenile to think that because YOU think you're in cover, you should instantly be in a safe zone immune to what has already happened. If you die after entering cover it is because someone shot you when you were exposed, not because they are some how magically bending physics and somehow seeing you where you aren't and shooting at you where you aren't.

The reason there isn't any lag compensation is likely because the developers simply don't know how to implement it. They seem to be using actual projectiles with gravity which is a bit trickier to unlag than simple "straight bullet" physics. From what I can tell, they're trying to justify not having it because of X or Y but really any side-effect of lag compensation is because it just wasn't implemented right.

Personally, this game could stand to have some interpolation to it's movement. 3rd person locked / 1st person is nauseating because there isn't any smoothing that you would get with interpolation. Maybe if the game engine supports it, people who are spectating could get some interpolation.

Also, I know in the first RO, things like sway were server-side. So if you had a high ping, your sway would take longer to kick in. It is likely that trying to get the user experience to line up with the server without introducing client-side exploits would be difficult to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mekhazzio and Reise
Upvote 0
For everyone saying they'd hate to be shot while just getting into cover, please check the idea I posted in my original post.

I still stand by lag compensation, and have implemented it in a top down shooter before, and it works VERY well.

I think comparing hit detection and lag compensation in a 2d shooter is barely even in the same ballpark.

Upvote 0