• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bloom looks horrendous

044Gloom.png

Why you be hatin'?

Oh, you mean't Bloom...Gloom will stay away...*sobs*

Upvote 0
@Richey79 - heh, nice :)

I actually like bloom, but only when it's used "liberally" - which unfortunately is almost never. I'll admit I don't know the full technical details, but I was under the impression it was an effect that could be varied with regards to intensity, and yet it always seems to be on - uber-bloom(tm) - or off. I've definitely seen a couple of titles over the years that seemed to use it in moderation, but can't for the life of me remember which they were.

I remember when more detailed specular lighting appeared, and suddenly every surface in a game seemed to be covered in liquid and shiny as hell - regardless of what the material was supposed to be :) That plagued games for a while, I guess because it was too expensive to be specific rather than just slapping it on everything. It really did look horrible to me.

Upvote 0
Photography isn't exactly the same thing as looking at something with your eyes, which video games try to replicate. Doesn't help that the human eye can change the amount of light entering.

Actually most games seems to assume you have a video camera on top of your shoulders instead of a head. A bad video camera, too. Human eye doesn't have lens flares or glares. Putting something out of focus on the screen is totally unneeded too, since your own eyes already do this. Double-out of focus is just unneeded. And to not stray from the topic, bloom is unneeded too. I'm glad it can be turned off.

Upvote 0
Poerisija, I absolutely agree that most art direction in video games seems to be trying to emulate a camera lens rather than the human eye. I quite like this effect when it's bold: take Kane & Lynch 2 (I'm not for one minute saying I liked the game, but the art direction was original and the effect achieved what it set out to do).

We can turn off bloom in RO2, so it's no biggie. Mind you, you could turn it 'off' in BF:BC2, and it was still there, just toned down a bit.

One effect I do like is simulated depth of field, particularly in the latest versions of the Unreal Engine. The monitor is a 2D surface, so everything is in focus to your eyes, even if your attention is only on one point on the screen. From the videos of RO2, it looks like shooters with magnified scopes see their peripheral vision as being in focus. This is a bit daft, imo. Attach a 200mm lens to an SLR camera and try to look at the world through your other open eye, and you'll see how well this works in real life.

Admittedly, it's tough to try and emulate how the human eye sees the world. Even HDR can add immersion to a game, when it's done subtly. It's just the generic 'moar bloom and brown' art direction that I've come to loathe... and I don't think I've ever felt that 'bloom' added visual appeal or realism to a game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wondering if any one actually likes BLOOM and turn it on if there is an option...
Why do devolopers always add this to the games?:confused:

I like bloom as it is a (cheap and nasty, but nevertheless) way of simulating how light on an object is radiated onto the surroundings and also shows the way brighter lights bloom on the retina. As I said, it is a very simplistic way of doing things and tends to a) radiate not onto objects, but rather into the air and b) add "retinal" bloom on objects that aren't bright enough to cause it in real life or add camera lens style bloom (shudder)

Upvote 0