• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map Black Day in July

Since the contest date has been pushed forward. BDJ is going to be old news by then, and all of my *cough* innovating features *cough* ( :p ) like custom classes, skins and effects would be lackluster, I'm going to jumpstart into my next project over the winter break which I hope will feed the hunger for some out of the box infantry action.

edit:

here is a version where the timelimit has been reduced to 25 minutes for people who find the game running to long to the allies

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems very German sided, but that's probably because our team was a lot better than the Ruskies tonight.

The T34r is amazing. It's ssssooo fast and adds a cool element to the German side. I also love the new tank skins.

The Stuka squadrons are player side I noticed. My friend was commenting over Ventrilo tonight that a bunch of Stukas were flying overhead. I looked up and didn't see them whatsoever. It would be cool if everyone saw them at the same time. :)

Great map though.

Upvote 0
More comments -

Honestly, this is a great map. I like this version much moreso than any of the previous BDJ versions for its atmosphere (the Stukas cinematics are absolutely amazing) and fun, but I do have my reservations.

1) I feel this map is German sided (in pubs) for the following reasons:

a) Because of the new cap system in which the Soviet Armies hold all territory at the beginning of the map, there's little incentive for the Russians to advance forward and meet the Germans head on. Because the Germans hold NO capzones at the start of the map, I've noticed it's very common for an entire tank force to spearhead into either the North or South flanks with only screening forces going the opposite direction, even without anyone taking the iniative and telling the team what to do. As a result, a large concentration of German armour is always thrown in one direction with peacemeal, often disorganized Russian armour to halt the advance. Even if Russian armour is successful in knocking out a fair amount of German tanks, the initiative is still in the hands of the Germans since their reinforcements have moved forward.

b) Despite the general superiority of Russian armour in this game (bias statement, I know), the Germans have a huge amour superiority in this map. For all the speed and armor that the T34/76 has, it has huge firepower disadvantage to the faster reloading Panzer 3's and 4's. Add to the fact that more and more people are realizing the awesomeness of the PanzerIII APCR rounds and it makes for a lot of destroyed Russian tanks. Only the Tiger has a slower reload, but tactically, more people go for the heavies first rather than the lighter tanks, which are really what are doing the vast majority of the damage. That's not necessarily a map quirk, but I notice a lot of people do it.

2) I could be wrong on this, but the Stukas come from the direction of the Russians. Shouldn't they come from the direction of the Germans? Still an amazing effect though.

3) The ace card for the Russians in this map lies in the artillery. However, due to the enormous size of the map and limited area coverage of artillery strikes, it's hard for it to be anything more than just nuisance on the ear drums. Tonight I saw some extremely aggressive artillery callers, but their effectiveness was very, very limited. This is also due to the fact that the Germans are always on the move, having to do with reason #1a - the Russians are the ones with all the cap zones at the beginning of the map.

4) This has a bit to do with reason #1b, but German visibility is generally better in this map. The Russians have to crest a hill before they can get into the meat of the zone, while the Germans start out by going downhill. This gives a huge visibility advantage to the Axis forces as they're just looking for silouettes on the top of the hill, while Russian armour has to look for German tanks spread out throughout the wheat fields. The only time this changes is in the Forward South Flank, but the overall advantage in the map is for certain nodded to the German forces.

Other than that, I love, love, love the map. It's a blast to play, and I love the changes you've made to the level.

Upvote 0
if you see it, tell the admin to check this server.

Just a note to say that we're still running the Beta3 version on the =OF= server since the final release version does not want to run properly on our Linux box.

The files all download to the clients fine but once the map starts the server either crashes or just stalls.

A version that doesn't require the extra files would be nice, or maybe putting them all into the .rom file would work :)

Until then, we're stuck with beta3.

Upvote 0
I really love this map. Extraordinary work on this one. All the little details are just wonderful. The German T-34, when I first spotted it as a Russian observer, was a nice little shock. And I don't think it's German sided a bit. For those 4 or 5 times I played it so far, only once have I seen the Jerries win.

Upvote 0
Just a note to say that we're still running the Beta3 version on the =OF= server since the final release version does not want to run properly on our Linux box.

The files all download to the clients fine but once the map starts the server either crashes or just stalls.

A version that doesn't require the extra files would be nice, or maybe putting them all into the .rom file would work :)

Until then, we're stuck with beta3.

Try the released contest version.

Upvote 0