• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Best Year for PC Games?

Harb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
London
I was thinking about some of my favourite games and making various lists (a bad habit like the top5s from High Fidelity) and realised how many great games came from 1997.

From adventure games Last Express, Blade Runner, Broken Sword II, Curse of Monkey Island, Little Big Adventure 2 and Dark Earth to RPGs Fallout and Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny to stratgey Total Annihilation, X-Com Apocalypse, Myth: The Fallen Lords, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital and Age of Empires. First person shooters Outlaws, Quake II and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

1997 saw the release of so many great games of which 3 are in my top 10 games of all time list. Fallout, Last Express and Total Annihilation.

I can't think of another year that was as strong with so many great PC games. The late 90s was a great time for pc gamers :D

What's your favourite year for PC games and what games make the list? :)

2002 - Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Battlefield 1942.

or

2003 - Red Orchestra mod UT2k3 beta and America's Army

Too close to call. MOHAA and BF1942 are two of the greatest PC games ever and built the path for future war games yet RO and AA refined fps's to more tactical realistic gameplay. Both awesome years.

Upvote 0
2011, because Heroes of Stalingrad comes out :cool:
This.

But yes the late 90s and early 2000s were great for games... Freespace series, Battlezone series, Thief series, Tribes 1 and 2, Starcraft, Red Alert 1, OFP, Combat Mission series, R6 series before it sucked etc.

Honestly it just started to go downhill with the start of the CoD series (even if the first was good fun). Clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nezzer I hardly think that counts given that Mass Effect 2 is a multiplatform title and meant nothing really for "PC games" :p

After consulting my collection...

I think either 1998
Half Life
Thief
Baldurs Gate
Fallout 2
Myth 2
Unreal
Starcraft

Planescape Torment
R6 Rogue Spear
System Shock 2
Freespace 2
Dungeon Keeper 2
Mechwarrior 3
Aliens vs Predator
Homeworld
Unreal Tournament

Or 2000
Soldier of Fortune
Deus Ex
Thief 2
Shogun:TW
Baldurs Gate 2
The Sims

Upvote 0
Nezzer I hardly think that counts given that Mass Effect 2 is a multiplatform title and meant nothing really for "PC games" :p
Multiplatform titles like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age or Battlefield Bad Company 2 are huge on PC too and are good pc games. Nowadays you can't really think with your logic anymore because there simply aren't many BIG pc exclusives anymore.

But if we're talking PC exclusives then of course you'd have to go with the 98-01 years with great titles like HL1, Deus Ex, Nolf, UT99, Red Alert 2 etc. But I also believe that 2004 was a pretty big technological leap forward with Doom 3, Far Cry & Half-Life 2.

Upvote 0