• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Behemoth, and Alpha Crawler: HELP REFINING PLZ

Okay, I pointed out the ideas of a few specimen earlier that would bring some change of pace to KF. These ideas need some critique: give me editing or I'll annoy without end!

Heres one: The Behemoth (temporary name)
Is a massive, slow enemy, larger than an FP, and covered in the front by some heavy armor, either literal metal armor or some biologically made plating. Either way, it would make a frontal assault impossible: a team would have to outflank this one.

The advantages of having to outflank it to kill it are massive: it removes the advantage of headshots, forces tactical thinking, and stops campers. Players would actually have to manuever (with others possibly distracting it), thereby breaking the formations that stagnate gameplay, and forcing further teamwork. Also, it would act as a massive zombie sheild to specimen behind it, thereby making up for it's own lack of speed, and making it a necessary target if ss want to have a decent view.

Heres another: The Alpha Crawler. I got this one's inspiration from the patterns of crawler spawning: they come in what appears to be packs instead of solo. While this was meant as tactical thing to maximize their deadliness, I say we capitalize on their decision.

So here it is: a minor change in skin, making it perhaps a dark purple. And, more importantly, making the player blinded and poisoned upon being bitten. This makes cralwers extra deadly, and teamwrok extra necessary, as a player would be both blinded and fighting a pack of jumping, elusive enemies. Like some kind of pack of animals, they would use their numbers and agility to rip you apart-turning the minor crawler threat into something very real indeed. And perhaps making these elusive little buggers into a pack capable of deadly ambushes that could be scarier than even running into an FP!

Very good ideas, i finally got round to saying it.

I'd like to see the Behemoth implemented, though with the damage of an enraged Fleshpound to make moving important.

The alpha crawler, would the medic be able to cancel out the ability? I hope so, medic is my favourite perk and i'd like to see medic buffed to handle the alpha crawler in this way. Of course the blind ability would have to fade after a minute or two, in order to maintain balance.

Not trying to make them too cuddly, just making zerkers and other people who got in close range survive.

Reactions: HalfDemon
Upvote 0
How exactly are you supposed to hit the back of something if you're alone?
You do notice that the enemies tend to always be facing towards you, don't you.

And how on earth are you supposed to "outflank" something that is supposed to be larger than a FP in a narrow corridor?
You do notice that not every map offers enough room for such a maneuver, do you.
In fact most consist of nothing but narrow corridors and dead ends.

How are you supposed to get behind something with your back to a wall that comes toward you through a narrow corridor with no chance for you to slip past it without getting punched in the face?
Oh there's also other enemies behind it. Yeah...

Also resident evil 4 much?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For behemoth, I would say no to god mode from front, instead, make it super resistant but with "weakness" to certain weapon. (Xbow body shot and LAW perhaps?

Also, perhaps you could throw grenades and stuff behind it in an attempt to hurt it from behind.

Maybe all of the front would have armor except the legs? Make the legs super resistant. That way you can still kill him but if you want to kill him faster you have to get behind him for the weak spot. Not sure if it is a good idea just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
What someone said about the legs would be create.
Lets say your camping that little lab on the lower floor of Biolabs, shooting from the inside outta the window, and you see that come down the far stairs.
Even 6 people wouldn't be able to kill it in time if shot in the legs, unless they were level 6.
I wanna see it added, Game is easy enough as it is, Even on suicidal with things being dominated by Xbows.
It would be the games FU to players that the FP should give but doesn't.

Upvote 0
I think behemoth should spawn with some crawlers, and they would be walking behind he's back, when behemoth is killed, crawlers jump out, in this way one team member should always look for crawlers to jump out when behemoth is coming. Also it should have armor on he's head and body, so about only 8 shots from xbow to the head on Hard from 6lvl SS (I'm mostly playing for Sharpshooter(suicidal = 12)) would stop him and make legs weak for fire and melee attacks. What do you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For behemoth, I would say no to god mode from front, instead, make it super resistant but with "weakness" to certain weapon. (Xbow body shot and LAW perhaps?

Also, perhaps you could throw grenades and stuff behind it in an attempt to hurt it from behind.

yeah, the LAW needs more action.

but the XBow is already used enough, and if we included that, it would just be more cannon fodder, instead of forcing player improvization.

Also, adding unarmored legs does seem like a good idea with all the narrow hallways in KF. Total invincibility would kinda run amok in such maps as bioticslab or westlondon if you didnt give the players some way out. The point is just not to make it too easy of a way out.

Also, this would be a nice way of increasing difficulty of KF, thereby preventing stagnated gameplay. A major change in tactics is a great way to prevent boredom!

And also, the grenade thing would be a nice way for players to damage it from behind, as long as it isn't made so gaping that players would instantly grenade spam

Also, the idea of making him stop with about 8 xbow shots, thereby increasing vulnerability would be a great way to give the ss something to do when it attacks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeah, the LAW needs more action.

but the XBow is already used enough, and if we included that, it would just be more cannon fodder, instead of forcing player improvization.

Also, adding unarmored legs does seem like a good idea with all the narrow hallways in KF. Total invincibility would kinda run amok in such maps as bioticslab or westlondon if you didnt give the players some way out. The point is just not to make it too easy of a way out.

Also, this would be a nice way of increasing difficulty of KF, thereby preventing stagnated gameplay. A major change in tactics is a great way to prevent boredom!

And also, the grenade thing would be a nice way for players to damage it from behind, as long as it isn't made so gaping that players would instantly grenade spam

Also, the idea of making him stop with about 8 xbow shots, thereby increasing vulnerability would be a great way to give the ss something to do when it attacks.

I was just trying to get at "Piercing weapons" but not headshots. I do like the 8 bolt to stop idea. Perhaps it stuns him like if you shot a scake in the head by maybe for a little longer.

Upvote 0
Behemoth: Good luck surviving past the first wave he appears on on any given public server. Not going to happen. It would be nice if people were that coordinated on pubs, but they just aren't.

Alpha Crawler: Berserker has it rough enough, don't you think? Every other class would just brush them aside like they do regular crawlers.

I agree that KF is becoming too easy, but I'd rather just see a higher difficulty added where the specimens RUN at full speed and one hit from any of them except a siren or husk is an instant death (armor would still be useful to stop husk shots and bloat bile).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But do you think someone could actually shoot eight shots to the head to stop/drop him? (No, if there are 1/2 SS team) So in this way we are offering berserker and firebug to shine. Say for example firebug grenades damage he's legs mostly, and then berserker jumps in front of him, crouch, few slices from katana, boom, done. Maybe it sounds easy, but I don't think everyone could do it easily. What do you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I pointed out the ideas of a few specimen earlier that would bring some change of pace to KF. These ideas need some critique: give me editing or I'll annoy without end!

Heres one: The Behemoth (temporary name)
Is a massive, slow enemy, larger than an FP, and covered in the front by some heavy armor, either literal metal armor or some biologically made plating. Either way, it would make a frontal assault impossible: a team would have to outflank this one.

The advantages of having to outflank it to kill it are massive: it removes the advantage of headshots, forces tactical thinking, and stops campers. Players would actually have to manuever (with others possibly distracting it), thereby breaking the formations that stagnate gameplay, and forcing further teamwork. Also, it would act as a massive zombie sheild to specimen behind it, thereby making up for it's own lack of speed, and making it a necessary target if ss want to have a decent view.

Heres another: The Alpha Crawler. I got this one's inspiration from the patterns of crawler spawning: they come in what appears to be packs instead of solo. While this was meant as tactical thing to maximize their deadliness, I say we capitalize on their decision.

So here it is: a minor change in skin, making it perhaps a dark purple. And, more importantly, making the player blinded and poisoned upon being bitten. This makes cralwers extra deadly, and teamwrok extra necessary, as a player would be both blinded and fighting a pack of jumping, elusive enemies. Like some kind of pack of animals, they would use their numbers and agility to rip you apart-turning the minor crawler threat into something very real indeed. And perhaps making these elusive little buggers into a pack capable of deadly ambushes that could be scarier than even running into an FP!

After skimming through about 70 pages of ideas, I thought I'd give this one a bump. I really like the Behemoth idea. The game needs something to challenge the groups of people who just kill specimens as they come through a doorway. Despite being a tank from the front he is still easy to kill from behind or with skillfully used grenades, so I don't think it would be too hard. It is not like the Behemoth is going to be totally invulnerable from the front either; you are just going to have to waste much more ammo to take him down if you choose to attack him that way.

To keep the game from getting too hard I think he should spawn mid-late in waves. It would be more realistic that way too; since he is slow he would find players after the other quicker specimens. Players should also get some advanced warning the Behemoth is coming, so they can adjust accordingly. Maybe the behemoth has heavy foot steps that you can hear, and when he gets close the ground shakes.

The Alpha crawler isn't a bad idea either btw. What do you think of maybe giving the guy an acid attack like the bloat? Not quite as deadly, but I think that would be easier to implement, and it would have a similar effect.

Upvote 0
Players should also get some advanced warning the Behemoth is coming, so they can adjust accordingly. Maybe the behemoth has heavy foot steps that you can hear, and when he gets close the ground shakes.

I really like this idea. He could be like a mini-boss that occurs occasionally during a wave. You know he's coming because you can hear sound of heavy boots and then everyone panics. :p

What kind of offensive style would he have though? I'd imagine he'd just plod around slowly without any kind of rage mechanism, with a powerful melee attack. Seeing as he'd be appearing with other specimens you wouldn't really need to make him too offensive I guess.

Maybe occasionally (every 10-15 seconds or so depending on how quickly he can be killed) he could let out a roar that disorientates players for a few seconds. Yes I stole this idea from another thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like this idea. He could be like a mini-boss that occurs occasionally during a wave. You know he's coming because you can hear sound of heavy boots and then everyone panics. :p

What kind of offensive style would he have though? I'd imagine he'd just plod around slowly without any kind of rage mechanism, with a powerful melee attack. Seeing as he'd be appearing with other specimens you wouldn't really need to make him too offensive I guess.

Maybe occasionally (every 10-15 seconds or so depending on how quickly he can be killed) he could let out a roar that disorientates players for a few seconds. Yes I stole this idea from another thread. :rolleyes:

Ya I don't think this guy would need a rage mechanism. I was thinking a slow, powerful attack. Such as maybe raising his fists up and pounding the ground. His attack could take some time to recover from, and while he is recovering you could move behind him and hit him in his weak spot. If you are stuck attacking him in melee from the front, you could hit him between attacks. But you would have to do it for a much longer period of time, and you would have to watch your timing carefully.

Probably like something from a game I haven't played.

I dont see why people hate camping so much. Its a defensive co-op game pulse campers are more likly to get killed any way. Anyway that Beheomoth sounds way OP. Maybe if it had like a mouth that opens and close that you shoot at it for extra damage

If you absolutely hate having to move I could see the LAW being this guy's weakness, as suggested above. A couple of hits to the face (1-3 depending on difficulty) with that thing could bring him down. The LAW just isn't used as much as other weapons, and it would make sense if it was effective against something big with heavy armor compared to other weapons.

Upvote 0
Yep. The LAW would be a nice take-down weapon. Of course, unloading on it's unarmored legs from an entire team while reatreating would likely do the trick. The best way would be to surround or flank it, but the more likely choice by teams would be an all out-assault.

So it is possible to take it down front-on, but with such amounts of health, it would be a difficult battle. However, communication and manuevering are

Upvote 0