• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bad performance since new update

Just to slip in a final word from what I've personally experienced playing multiple maps on my server with a friend over the past few hours:

So far, I've had no loading issues regarding any custom maps. Only when we went to play an official map (namely Foundry, Wyre, and Bedlam) did the game hang for a considerable amount of time (around 8 minutes of loading).

What's ironic is that when we voted KF-Foundry and the map changed, my friend loaded and got into the lobby before I did (it still took him about 8 minutes) yet his rig is completely outclassed by mine. Our general reaction was a big "wtf was that". :p

The lag issues also seem consistent with the official maps. While I did experience minor glitching in the first round on some custom maps, it was all the more significant in the official ones. For the custom maps, I would say it was more of a 1 second stutter, whereas in the official maps it would just stop for about 10 seconds and then throw you back into the game (at which point we had been killed already).

I know you TWI guys are probably all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich, and I just want to extend my thanks for everything you guys have done for this game and community. Keep up the great work, and good luck sorting this out! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not this is strange...

Not this is strange...

I have had problems playing the game since the update.
I haven't got shadows OR AA on, but the game performance has degraded to something unplayable.
Also, a lot of my friends kept on getting a lot of Critical errors on their Vista machines.

The map loading times... Whoa. How did roughly 25 seconds turn to 2 minutes?

My game keeps crashing on every single map change, the map stops loading halfway and just hangs. I tried waiting to see if it eventually loads, but I got bored after 10 minutes.

One thing that strikes odd to me is that once I leave KF the killingfloor.exe, or parts of it will stay in memory, under task manager. This will inevitably result in this if you change graphics settings and are required to restart:
Restart.JPG

This literally kills my PC performance to a crawl. Nothing works until I manage to kill both processes.

I found one "orphaned" executable floating around in my PC memory last night when I tried to exit steam before going to bed. I got "One or more Steam applications are in use"-message which made me very suspicious, and I brought up Task Manager.

Yes, I tried all the solutions suggested, doesn't seem to do much, but most importantly, will not solve the game latching problem on map change or the leftover killingfloor.exe when exiting the game. We need a fix for this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have also experienced the "freezing" for upwards of 25 seconds, usually getting me killed. This has only happened after the new update. My framerate, however, has stayed the same, if not gotten better. The game does look a lot better to me.

My system specs are an AMD Athlon 3200+ (single core, old schooool), Nvidia 7800GS, 1gig of Corsair XMS, fresh Windows XP install. With a mixture of high/medium settings, the game ran very well at 1280x1024. The freezing is the only issue I'm having at this time (aside from connection lost issues, which I attribute to the free weekend).

A big thanks to Tripwire for posting in this thread and supporting their customers. You guys really are the best.

Upvote 0
I found the source of the problem of the MAJOR performance reduction in the update (atleast it is the solution for me).
It's the AntiAlias, specificly turning it down from 8X to 4X.
Never had problems with AntiAlias in any game / engine (and not even in the old KF versions which i used 8X all the time) but turning down from 8X to 4X gave me around 40 FPS boost!
Hey devs don't forget to look up on the AntiAlias, it's a new issue that came up in the "Level Up" update (atleast for me).

Upvote 0
Mine! ALL MINE! :D

On a more serious note, I've noticed something completely opposite of what I've usually been experiencing.
[bla bla bla]

could it be because your ping is zero? Connecting thru local network is fast, really fast.

And look at this
All my rigs have experienced the LONG load times, including the freezing in the first round, though to varying degrees. I'll post the specs of all my equipment:

Laptop 1 -
Intel Core Duo @ 2.16GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM (1 x 1GB)
ATI Radeon X1600 @ 256MB
Windows XP Home Premium SP3

Laptop 2 -
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 1GB)
Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX @ 512MB
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 1 -
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM (3 x 2GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 @ 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 2 -
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz
1.5GB DDR RAM (1 x 1GB, 2 x 256MB)
ATI Radeon 9800 @ 128MB

Your worst is this dude,

Desktop 2 -
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz
1.5GB DDR RAM (1 x 1GB, 2 x 256MB)
ATI Radeon 9800 @ 128MB

Mine is laptop, vista bussiness 32, 3gb ram, intel x3100. needless to say, way worse than your worst.

and mine still run better than you. No laggy during match, just long loading. Fps is around 15~20 (since I bought kf).

SUggestion: smash it.

Upvote 0
Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Memory (RAM): 2047 MB
CPU Info: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
CPU Speed: 1863.0 MHz
Sound card: E-MU 0404 | USB
Display Adapters: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Omega 3.8.442) | ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Omega 3.8.442) | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1440 X 900 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
CD / DVD Drives: D: _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A | E: KTYZSBC G9AJGH6B4
COM Ports: NOT Present
LPT Ports: NOT Present
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 73.1GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 22.3GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Make: MP061
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/29/06 | DELL - 27d6071d
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0YD479
Modem: Not detected

Upvote 0
could it be because your ping is zero? Connecting thru local network is fast, really fast.

That's not the point. The point is that normally (after the patch) with this setup I experience the 20 - 30 seconds of lag in which the game freezes suddenly, and then returns and I have been killed. For that one random instance, the game ran flawlessly, for reasons I can't even conceive because I didn't change or tweak anything.

Mine is laptop, vista bussiness 32, 3gb ram, intel x3100. needless to say, way worse than your worst.

and mine still run better than you. No laggy during match, just long loading. Fps is around 15~20 (since I bought kf).

How is a Vista Business laptop with 3GB of RAM 'worse' than a Pentium 4 Desktop with half the RAM? If anything, your laptop has twice the resources of my desktop... I don't even know what to say to that.

Upvote 0

SUggestion: smash it.

actually no. yours is better. pentium 4 processors are several year old technology.

Upvote 0
1) When a map first starts there is hitching (and sometimes a long freeze) when the zeds first appear. We are aware of this, and are working to resolve this issue. From what we can tell this actually happened in the previous update, but is perhaps worse now.

The more I play, the more I see this happening not only when a map first starts, but randomly whenever zeds appear. It used to only happen in Foundry, but now it's everywhere and it typically gets me killed...

And it's not the first time I've seen said specimens before after the map startup, so I know it's not my computer hiccuping as it loads the zeds' textures. Also, the framerate stays steady...the game itself seems to freeze momentarily.

On Hard/Suicidal, this makes it near impossible to win, as in later waves, even a 2 second freeze up can kill you...

Upvote 0
I keep having the same issues, it happens to me on solo and on Multi player. First the game lags until I am near death on the first wave, if I make thought that, the game runs perfect. Then during the load screen for the next map it freezes up. I often have to Ctl + Alt + Del and it shows "killing floor is not responding". I am using a laptop that is a little dated but ran the game fine until the new update.

Intel T5500 - 1.66 GHz
2 GB of ram
Nvidia Geforce Go 7400
Windows Vista Business 32-bit

Upvote 0
I just get the massive load time for maps. It shouldnt take 2+ minutes to load KF-doom2final. that map used to take a maximum of 10 seconds to load. KF also crashed for the first time last night. Was like, oh wow, i crashed my game guys.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256mb dedicated memory 1279mb shared memory
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Upvote 0