• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bad performance since new update

Most often when people get bad performance after an update they need to defragment their harddisc/ make some disc space free.

I recommend getting a 30 day trial (or buying) perfectdisc and doing both the offline and online defragmentation. Make sure that settings like reduce mouse lag havent been turned on.

[url]http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download[/URL]

one of the best freeware defraggers

Upvote 0
Having similar problems here. There is a massive slowdown on the new forest themed map and the original maps are loading/running a touch slower than they used to.

Defragging/rebooting steam has no effect. Definately a graphics issue, will start tweaking settings and see if anything helps. Just letting you know you aren't the only one.

Upvote 0
sometimes updates enable some features you previously had off.

Make sure that reduce mouselag and possibly bloom & blur are turned off they can eat fps.

Shadows are massive killers, a lot relies on the CPU rather than the GPU. When i turned my shadows off looking at a horde of ZEDS, i got a 20 - 30 fps boost. And you dont even notice they are off most of the time.

Also thanks omarfw for that program, running a defrag with it now.

Upvote 0
My performance was ABYSMAL and I dunno why. I defragged before playing, as always, and in game I had MASSIVE lag-spikes despite good ping.

To the point of freezing for 3-4 seconds solid. It's unplayable! And it used to run fine with all settings on High with a solid performance! The new maps are by far the worst, but even the older ones are acting wonky. I'm upgrading my RAM from 1GB to 2GB, so that should help, but still...I wasn't having any issues until the update...

I'll start by turning off shadows, as always. Just...ick...can't believe how bad my rig's performance was compared to earlier today!

Upvote 0
Aye, performance has taken a hit across the board and since the update it really hammers that pagefile resulting in lovely local lagspikes every time it loads a new texture etc; unfortunely this is often when infected spawn and you start killing.

The map most effected is Wyre by a long shot, especially the area at the bottom of the hill from the start point and the waterfall. Bedlam seems to run about as smoothly (although still worse than pre-update) as the old maps Waterworks included. I tried turning each of the graphics settings up and down to see if I could nail one that was causing the majority of the lag but no joy.

There is a temporary fix that makes Wyre playable and will get the other maps running as they used to. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30754 changing to direct x 8 mode gave the biggest single increase in performance but the visuals suffer and I lost all antialiasing (although oddly it's faster than running in direct x 9 with AA off).

On a side note a couple of my friends have reported that the game looks much better than it did before the update (even though one of them had to notch down his settings) leading me to wonder if there were any changes in the engine. I checked the notes and nothing was mentioned so maybe someone from Tripwire might be able to tell us if thats the case. If there was a change I'm betting it's the cause of the slowdown.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Managed to get onto some servers and with the extra load of players running around and bigger spawns on screen at one time in the later waves still renders the game nearly unplayable. I even turned everything down to minimum settings to little avail. I really hope this gets looked into/fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like many of you upon downloading the update my load times went from 15 seconds to 2+ minutes. I was very upset at first thinking TWI ruined KF for my rig, but then i remembered i have gone through this before. After following this guide, my load times went from 2+ mins back down to 15-30 seconds.

1) Find your killingfloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/KF/system folder (hint it looks like a notepad icon with a cog)
2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

EDIT BY Zetsumei: NEVER make CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256mb unless you like crashes!

Fix2: Turn of PreCaching
Also in your redorchestra.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

good luck, i didnt make this guide, im just a messenger...the following info was taking from the RO forums, i take no credit for it.

Upvote 0
Aye, performance has taken a hit across the board and since the update it really hammers that pagefile resulting in lovely local lagspikes every time it loads a new texture etc; unfortunely this is often when infected spawn and you start killing.

The map most effected is Wyre by a long shot, especially the area at the bottom of the hill from the start point and the waterfall. Bedlam seems to run about as smoothly (although still worse than pre-update) as the old maps Waterworks included. I tried turning each of the graphics settings up and down to see if I could nail one that was causing the majority of the lag but no joy.

There is a temporary fix that makes Wyre playable and will get the other maps running as they used to. [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30754[/URL] changing to direct x 8 mode gave the biggest single increase in performance but the visuals suffer and I lost all antialiasing (although oddly it's faster than running in direct x 9 with AA off).

On a side note a couple of my friends have reported that the game looks much better than it did before the update (even though one of them had to notch down his settings) leading me to wonder if there were any changes in the engine. I checked the notes and nothing was mentioned so maybe someone from Tripwire might be able to tell us if thats the case. If there was a change I'm betting it's the cause of the slowdown.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Managed to get onto some servers and with the extra load of players running around and bigger spawns on screen at one time in the later waves still renders the game nearly unplayable. I even turned everything down to minimum settings to little avail. I really hope this gets looked into/fixed.

Exactly what I'm running into. It's not graphics lag or connection lag. It's something that makes the game absolutely freeze for about 2-3 seconds, usually getting me killed and royally pissing me off.

Wyre and Bedlam are really bad about it. Waterworks has it too. And even the old maps have it, where none other than Foundry used to.... Upping/downing graphics settings has no effect on this...

Upvote 0
Aye just to reiterate, it's not plain freezes I'm getting, we're talking a general slowdown like I'm suddenly running through treacle. This is why my friend had to turn down his settings on his rig with a (8800 and 4gigs of ram no less) to get smooth gameplay again.

Alot of people are reporting the freezes though and I do get the big freezes at the start of round, once textures etc are loaded it runs smoothly(ish), if slow as hell. It's like the game is running in slow motion purely on my side. Other players and infected all move the speed they should but my movements are are frustratingly slow mo. It's possibly some sort of rendering issue (due to it being more marked in certain areas of maps) thats be introduced with the update.

My load times have always been a bit poor as I have 1 gig of ram but as I said before, once I got in game it ran flawlessly.

It's nothing as easy as the "reduce mouse lag" checkbox or anything like that. This is a new problem introduced with the update, not really something that we can use old fixes for (obviously the old fixes were the first things I tried).

I think we'd be very happy to hear from a Tripwire admin at least just to know this problem is something that is getting looked into/acknowledged.

I'll try Skillshots fix, see if it helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found the source of the problem of the MAJOR performance reduction in the update (atleast it is the solution for me).
It's the AntiAlias, specificly turning it down from 8X to 4X.
Never had problems with AntiAlias in any game / engine (and not even in the old KF versions which i used 8X all the time) but turning down from 8X to 4X gave me around 40 FPS boost!

Upvote 0