• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ask questions from beta players

moleculo

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2013
In this thread we ask a bunch of questions about KF2 from the privileged among us and hopefully receive honest answers

Here's what I'd like to know personally:

1) Do all the guns feel as satisfying as in KF1? Some shotguns and ARs seem to have that peashooter vibe but I can't tell for sure just by looking at videos

2) On the higher difficulties zeds move very fast. Does that turn the game into L4D bodyshotting spamfest or is the careful headshotting and target priorization still there?

3) Do you think combos and that stuff are still in? KF1 was a kinda mathematical game because carefully aiming and counting your shots was more effective than mindless spamming.

4) Most important question: Is it as good as KF1 or is it too different? It hasn't lost its soul or anything?

5) Is it BETTER than KF1?

Last edited:
Here's some answers. They're my own personal views and may not reflect those of the other players.

1) Do all the guns feel as satisfying as in KF1? Some shotguns and ARs seem to have that peashooter vibe but I can't tell for sure just by looking at videos

Most of them do. It's weird, the recent gameplay videos gave the weapons a puny feel, however, once I played it, they felt totally different. The shotguns have an awesome punch to them. The flamethrower felt a little underwhelming. Rifles and pistols feel about the same as KF1.

2) On the higher difficulties zeds move very fast. Does that turn the game into L4D bodyshotting spamfest or is the careful headshotting and target priorization still there?

You're safe there, the horde do move faster, yes, but it's not a total clusterfu** like L4D's running maniacs. There's still time for precision aiming.

3) Do you think combos and that stuff are still in? KF1 was a kinda mathematical game because carefully aiming and counting your shots was more effective than mindless spamming.

Absolutely. Comboing is very satisfying, especially in zed time. :) Precision is even more crucial now the hit detection/boxes are far more accurate.

4) Most important question: Is it as good as KF1 or is it too different? It hasn't lost its soul or anything?

It still has the cheese and familiarity of KF1, tons of battle chatter from the characters. The dynamic light system adds a ton of unpredictability and it's genuinely scary. I would like to see more grime and dilapidation in the maps though, to give off a truly overrun world.

The mocap in the game breathes new life into things, it's a true labour of love and it shows (i'm warming to the player running animations, didn't care for them at first).

Absolutely. TW are learning from their 6+ years with KF1. You'll see. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
Since noone has answered you yet I'm gonna try my best. Keep in mind this is my own opinion based on around 3h of pre-release gameplay.

1) They do feel even more satisfying. Especially the shotguns have a real kick behind them. However one might argue the AK and Scar feel almost the same.

2) Ammo is still very rare so you really wanna make sure you get those headshots. Even on lower difficulties you run out of ammo quite frequently.

3) The perk effects don't seem to be too punishing for not using weapons made for your perk this time around. I've been playing as Commando most of the time and got a shotgun as backup with me whenever I can.

4/5) It feels a lot like KF1 but different at the same time. With a bit of tweaking and with all the perks enabled I believe we'll have a worthy successor.

EDIT: Damnit Greg, ninja'd :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a bunch greg! Those were the things I've been worrying about since announcement and your answer pretty much clears all my worries :) I'm more hyped than ever! Hopefully the mouse input is acceleration-free too when the EA hits, if that's ok this may well be my new fav game ever

BTW this thread was supposed to be open for other people's questions too so ask here if you have any

Thanks to you too yuv :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In this thread we ask a bunch of questions about KF2 from the privileged among us and hopefully receive honest answers

Here's what I'd like to know personally:

1. They're more satisfying and less satisfying, it's different. In a way they are of course infinitely more satisfying because of the satisfaction from the gore.

At first shotguns do not penetrate, but gain +25% penetration a level so they really start becoming satisfying once you get decent penetration. Another thing is that remember how annoying it could be reloading and switching shotguns in KF1 (especially benelli m4), of course having that fixed adds to enjoyment of using them too.

there isn't any problems with the shotgun satisfaction factor that i can think of fixing or improving so they get a definite more satisfaction pass, especially aa12... o momma.

The ARs do have something not right that I can't quite put my finger on, and it isn't mainly the sound. I actually really like the sounds in KF2; People say the sounds should be more beefy and I don't disagree, it's just only a small amount more beefy.
This game actually has fairly realistic gun sounds, they have abit of a pop sound which very nice and adding a whole load of deep booming would become tiring to listen to.

i don't want to say the problem is how accurate commando weapons is, because that would be suggesting nerfing commando which I don't think should happen, but that is what i think mainly takes away from satisfaction from firing commando weapons.
they really feel like firing a slightly powerful water hose in a bad way. it's like you hold down fire and it is a stream that kicks a litlte bit and isn't hard to aim.
though the damage is nice against weaker zeds there is still abit of a featherduster feel to them.
I would suggest increasing recoil and adding abit of damage to sa80 and ak to make them more exciting and rewarding to use.

i can't really talk about zerker and medic weapons yet as i have not used them alot yet.

Also, this:
Most of them do. It's weird, the recent gameplay videos gave the weapons a puny feel, however, once I played it, they felt totally different. The shotguns have an awesome punch to them. The flamethrower felt a little underwhelming. Rifles and pistols feel about the same as KF1.
when i first played the game the feel of actually playing it was so completely different to what i imagined from seeing gameplay. it was just omg awhh >< amazing. more satisfying than it looks.
l4d ai common zombie hordes u can get away with just spamming afew rounds into crowds and they will dissapear.
not comparable games.

you do that on higher difficulties on kf2 and you turn into zed lunch. what you need to be is spamfest of headshots while keeping super spacial and situational awareness in chaos.

atm it does feel rly chaotic on higher difficulties with these excellent maps with all the small entrances etc; the way the maps, zed spawns and zed ai can have your team break apart quite easily and seperated by walls of zeds (except there is ways around back to other teammates by taking loops through maze like maps) is beautiful thing to struggle against and requires intuitive teamwork.
3. yes once people learn the game. however maybe will not be so easy to do and abuse due to more fluid and less stupid zeds.

4/5. it is early to say but i'm pretty sure i will never be playing kf1 again (or ****** ******* payday 2.)

of course it is better in many ways, but you mean is kf2 better for the time than kf1? hard question, going to martyr myself...
yes.

largley because of how the game seems to play on higher difficulties atm, but if players find ways to camp then no; probably not better for it's time, worse or same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
largley because of how the game seems to play on higher difficulties atm, but if players find ways to camp then no; probably not better for it's time, worse or same.

Could you elaborate on this please?

I love dancing with SC...a few questions

1) What effect does parry have?
a) do you need to move and parry or can you stand still?
b) can you parry a raging FP/SC?
c) a better way to ask, have you noticed any attacks you cannot parry

2) Any stun combos with weapons? Say a parry into a headshot etc...

3) Can the hunting shotgun be loaded after shooting one barrel? Or do we still need to shoot both?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only question I have is how did some ppl get access to the game already before EA? :/

A bunch of keys have been posted around the internet, including on these very forums.
The graphics are showing peaks of up to ~260 people playing at once now. Not bad, but I think TWI was shooting for numbers in the 1000s. We may well be seeing more keys soon if you want in too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed answer tibits! It's good that guns feel more fun than they look in the vids, maybe that extra bit of recoil would make ARs more impactful too.

BTW: How's camping? Do you naturally start moving around or is finding a nice outdoor spot without any lights the best tactic usually?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A bunch of keys have been posted around the internet, including on these very forums.
The graphics are showing peaks of up to ~260 people playing at once now. Not bad, but I think TWI was shooting for numbers in the 1000s. We may well be seeing more keys soon if you want in too.

Yes I would, the desert is a lonely place without some TWI love.

Upvote 0
I'd like to ask some questions as well.

1) How do you early birds feel about the aggro of zeds? I've noticed some weird things in the videos I've seen so far and I wonder if anyone could loose a few words about it.

2) I've heard a lot that the game doesn't really want you to hold one spot, does it feel more of a kiting game now or is it just the fact that some spots get harder and harder, the longer you're trying to hold them?

3) Any first thoughts about zed mechanics? Is everything just really random or do you guys feel like there is some similarity to kf1s mechanics and they follow a pattern one could learn and adapt to?

4) Is there a ingame-console, can you still use binds?

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to ask some questions as well.

1) How do you early birds feel about the aggro of zeds? I've noticed some weird things in the videos I've seen so far and I wonder if anyone could loose a few words about it.

2) I've heard a lot that the game doesn't really want you to hold one spot, does it feel more of a kiting game now or is it just the fact that some spots get harder and harder, the longer you're trying to hold them?

3) Any first thoughts about zed mechanics? Is everything just really random or do you guys feel like there is some similarity to kf1s mechanics and they follow a pattern one could learn and adapt to?

4) Is there a ingame-console, can you still use binds?

Thanks in advance :)

1. Zeds choose random targets from the group and basically start rushing towards them and only care about others if they really try to make Zeds pissed off. They try to swarm everyone instead of focusing the firt one they see.

2. The doors don't come back so all spots may not be viable after the wave when the doors get busted. Some places are just too dark to fight without risking your life. Then lastly, the zeds tend to have very MANY spawn points in areas, which they may not even use until later just so they can dick with you even when you thought it was safe.

3. You can still kite pretty efficiently (on normal/hard) I imagine that on higher difficulties the Zeds just say "**** you and your kiting, we ain't having none of that **** no more." and rush you (ala Clot HoE).

4. have not tested yet, but if there is, (Set Input Tosscash 1 MousewheelUp & Down)

Upvote 0
1) Can somebody elaborate how the parry system works for melee classes?

2) So the medic can equip a shotgun, smg, AND assault rifle? Can they physically carry all 3 variants or would that be too heavy?

3) Does welding a door with any class level up support?

4) Does getting headshots with any class level up the sharpshooter?

5) Do the cyst and that other new zed do anything unique that sets them apart from the clot?

6) Do you run faster with your knife?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
1) Can somebody elaborate how the parry system works for melee classes?

2) So the medic can equip a shotgun, smg, AND assault rifle? Can they physically carry all 3 variants or would that be too heavy?

3) Does welding a door with any class level up support?

4) Does getting headshots with any class level up the sharpshooter?

5) Do the cyst and that other new zed do anything unique that sets them apart from the clot?

6) Do you run faster with your knife?

Thanks.

1. Not quite sure yet, but holdin mousewheel down raises melee weapons (not evicerator) into a parry stance and pressing it once does a shove.

2. He can equip Assault, Shotgun and his Pistol all at the same time (and it feels gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood)

3. Nope aas far as I know :C

4. Sharshooter not in the game yet, so hard to level up, even if it was, I doubt it as it's kinda like the welding/healing thingy.

5. Cyst just stumbles from place to place and falls on his *** all the time when missing, Slasher is hyper active and keeps jumping, spinning, twirling, etc.

6. Nope, although I like to swap to it before sprinting just for old times sakes :D

Upvote 0