• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are grenades underpowered ?

gibonez

Sep 18, 2011
What do you think about grenades ?
I am not exactly the most knowledgeable person on the subject but arent the grenades portrayed in the game much more powerful in real life ?

Doesn't shrapnel travel quite a good distance as opposed to the 3 feet it does in this game ?

F1_grenade_DoD.jpg

f1 grenade supposedly has an effective radious of 30 meters.

735px-M24_1.JPG

Model 24 grenade had an effective radius of 12 meters.

Am I just insane or are grenades just a tad bit weak.

Yes they are and in a way i'm glad it was one of my gripes of Ro1 sometimes it was almost a grenade spam.It was so bad that half the tk's was a result from nades.Some maps even had grenades removed while other games had their noob tubes or Carl Gustavs Ro1 had grenades.Using them on the enemy was one thing but,the problem was new players basically threw them at random.Like I said way over half the TK's you got was from friendly grenades.

While I agree sometimes I do wish grenades had a little more power trust me if they was as deadly as they was in RL or even RO1 it would cause even more problems.

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
The Russian pineapple type grenade has about 40 big pieces going 360 degrees over the radius - so you only get hit for sure if you are near it when it goes off.

The concussion from it is localized too - you must be close to it unless it goes off indoors in a small room. Ruptured eardrums are another matter.

The US pineapple type grenade had smokeless powder in it and not high explosives, so I'm thinking the maybe the Russian one does too. They clear small rooms pretty well.

Upvote 0
Is what i was thinking. Can you imagine a 30 meter radius on maps like we have now?

Actually the 30m radius is the 'effective zone', basically how far it throws the casing/fragments at velocities that are still high enough to likely kill or maim. There is a chance that fragments could go beyond that with enough force to deal damage, but it becomes unlikely.

The actual 'kill zone' is a fair bit less. Beyond a few metres you start to get into that interesting diminishing probability factor, where you become less and less likely to be hit by a fragment. Basically, small amount of fragments, big amount of space. Eventually you're going to get areas that won't have fragments travelling through them, and therefore you wouldn't actually die. (You just have no way of knowing where these areas are prior to the grenade going off. Kind of an interesting take on Russian Roulette.)

Upvote 0
i think granades are a bit tougher to just buff them. they are weaker then they should be but i really dont want to see everyone lobing granades into the air like mortors lol. if you increase the damage zone on granades then other things (like their weight and throwing distance) need to be toned down to keep them balanced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty happy with grenades in RO2. Just a tad underpowered but they feel a bit more tacticle and require a bit more thought in their use than a larger more devestating explosion.

So far I've gotten a 3 for 1 grenade kill when a tight group of hun were crowded together and I got a good grenade throw in.

What I would like is just a bit more power to the underhand lob.

just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
I asked this in another thread but didn't really get any response: Does anyone know if grenades behave the same indoors and outdoors in this game? I could swear grenades have a higher chance of killing people in game when indoors. (Assuming that there isn't a table between the person and the grenade or something) Outdoors they do often seem like big firecrackers, indoors quite a few times I've seen them kill people who I thought were far enough away.

Upvote 0