• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Beta opinion!

Damo

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006
Leicester, UK
Putting my neck on the line a bit here, I've not really posted any kind of opinion on these forums regarding the Beta of RO2 but the more I think about the game the more some issues are playing on my mind. Feel free to disagree with me, down-vote the thread, and throw personal insults. This is just my opinion, which happens to be shared by some others, and I hope TW at least note my points without thinking I'm here to bash their hard work.

I'm a long-time player of Red Orchestra, I bought Unreal Tournament back in 2004 specifically to play the mod way before retail release of Ostfront - and I've loved the series to death since.

The one thing that undoubtedly made RO appeal to people was its realism, and I'm pleased to see many realistic factors added to RO2. I love that weapons handle more realistically now, and there are extra features like bandaging and bleed-outs. RO1's take on weapon performance was always a little too hardcore and ironically, unrealistic - think about the inaccurate MG's, massive recoil-pitching on SMG's and Semi's, and the very slow reload times for all weapons. But it didn't matter, the fact it was hard convinced people it must be realistic - and to be fair it was far more realistic than anything else available on the gaming market. It was a slow, tense affair in which a players' brain-power counted for as much, if not more, than point and click ability.

Smiling then, as I found the weapons to behave much better and more importantly more believably realistic in RO2. But then all of a sudden, a smile is replaced with a frown as silly features such as never-ending ironsights stability and weapon readiness speed have been implemented into what SHOULD be a life-like game. I wouldn't mind so much but these things drastically alter gameplay, and the devs who have been bashing CoD kids for so long have changed the very core of what made RO1 great.

Speed. It's what is for me, spoiling my experience thus far in RO2. Running around like an athlete with full kit until absolutely shattered with heavy breathing, but then being able to bring up very steady ironsights with slow and relaxed breathing is a fine example of what I'm getting at. The rate at which you can raise your weapon after sprinting is almost instantaneous and encourages rushing at any opportunity without the need to think too much. Reload times are fine, and are a vast improvement on RO1 - but other areas where speed and NON-fluidity matter are taking us away from realistic behaviour and is giving us a Call of Duty saga where running and gunning is the name of the game. Where's the clumsiness? Panic? Fatigued weapon handling? Why are we all apparently athletic super-humans who can hold a heavy weapon seemingly forever with next to no sway?

Don't get me wrong, RO2 has a LOT of potential, but there's a lot of the game that just isn't realistic and has altered gameplay quite significantly. I'm not one of these people who doesn't like the zoom feature, or the fact weapons are now accurate as they should be, but the overall pace of the game is simply too fast. Some aspects seem to have been over-complicated - the map for example is now awash with real-time information, and the Key with all map icons is almost as big as the map itself - WHY? Why have all of these icons when all you need do is keep it real simple? The mini-map is also realtime and has for me, served little or no purpose except to confuse me into thinking it's the RO1 compass and has me looking for a compass point to tell my friends the direction the enemy is coming from.

The scoreboard is also a mess, and in my (admittedly, simple) mind looks like a bit of a cluster**** of letters and colours. It says a lot when a scoreboard designed almost 8 years ago provides information faster, and in a way that is easily read. Other features like 'Lock-Down' really destroy the fluidity of gameplay and gives the attacking team an often impossible task. Having to attack the dug-in defending enemy, needing to take two caps within 5 minutes is very harsh and simply ends in entire rounds lasting 5 minutes! Surely nobody wants to see a feature like this? It doesn't encourage the attackers to attack - somebody got it wrong.

Still, I'm happy with the base of RO2 - it's damn pretty, the models and animations look great, you can still down an enemy at hundreds of yards with a rifle-round, and it has atmosphere. The audio is top-notch and is a huge improvement on the original game, the voice acting is good and bugs aside, RO2 on the whole is impressive.

I hope beyond everything that TWI realises they can further improve upon the game without deterring newbies who have only experienced arcade-like shooters, and make some tweaks to the gameplay which brings back a little more of the feel RO1 gave us.

I havn't forgotten this is a Beta, but I hope TWI havn't forgotten what made them so popular in the first place. It's great you're able to make the game the way you want it, but it'd be nice if you'd consider the thousands of loyal fans at the same time.

Hats off to you guys for giving me 7 years of gaming heaven, I really hope this game will eventually give me the same.

*awaits masses of down-votes* :D

I love the game I can't say it enough but I do agree with you that the weapon sway seems a bit light. However at the same time it's not like when you aim a rifle in reality your hands are swinging about, so I think if anything only a minor increase would be desirable. Also the sway should only become detrimental to your aim say 10 or more seconds after aiming down the sight. I also agree that the scoreboard needs work, and I'll say that the minimap could use an overhaul as well. The icons could be more clear and the colors are a little bit too 'pure' and straining on the eyes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with most of your points. It is nice that everything is more fluid and dynamic but some of this leads to really immersion breaking situations. It would really need only a bit of tweaking to get some things to a nice compromise between playability and realism. More weapon sway when exhausted, a bit more sway when standing, weapon readiness... All just parameters easily changeable.

But most importantly: Lockdown. I really cannot see how this can affect a game in any positive way. Often in RO:Ost I would lie in my foxhole and wait for the enemy wave after wave, for minutes. And the enemy would test our weakspots and with time find a way to break through. If that took him too many men, it was his problem. If the defenders did not adapt, they would lose.
Now with lockdown, the attacker rushes forward, getting butchered. And most of the time, when it looks like he finally can get a hold, the lockdown occurs and the defenders win. Round time limit and Reinforcements play absolutely no role. The long streched rounds on the battlefield seem absolutely impossible with this feature. We already got two limiting factors, time and reinforcements to drive the players.
I really do not care about winning or losing. I care about the expirience on the battlefield. And this now seems gone.
I see how this is supposed to make the game more fluid. It should break stalemates and give an incentive to attack. However, it just makes the game end overly quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I totally agree with you Damo,
but I am absolutely convinced that these are not early beta bugs related: it's a precise and deliberate choice of developers to attract a greater mass of new casual consumers, oriented to play in a more arcade way...
Probably the time of the pure realism of RO1 is over
For me the only hope is represented by a community of modders that can correct these serious deficiencies
Another handicap that destroys the realism of a tactical shooter is the insane (for me) zoom factor
Now everyone has a powerful magic scope ...
Yet it was so easy to limit the zoom factor only to the ironsight position ...
I hope eventually Tripwire read these postst (it can not disappoint in this way a large portion of its customers) and find a more appropriate balance between realism and the actual too easy and simplified gameplay..
Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice post,

yes I agree with the sprinting and aiming as it stands now, needing adjustment. When I go sprinting until my heart is pounding in my chest and then try to stand and hold my rifle I have horrendous aim for a good 3-5 seconds until my breathing comes back under control. Even sprinting to prone there is a good rise and fall of my crosshairs which each heavy breath.

Currently now we are all super hero athletes with elephant lungs.

Upvote 0
Great post.
I totally agree with you here. So far, after putting in a couple of hours of game play, I REALLY LIKE the beta. However, what's keeping me from absolutely LOVING it is the speed. It's insanely fast paced compared to RO. I loved RO because it was a bit clunky and took some thought and time. Yes it was a bit slow at times, but that's what I loved. And to be honest I was more than happy at the thought of RO2 being somewhat faster paced...but I think it's gone too far. I feel almost like I'm playing BFBC2 in world war 2. Not quite...but almost.

I just wish it would slow down a bit really. Don't run so fast. Little more gun sway. A little less accuracy. In RO sprinting and taking cover kept me alive. In RO2, I can't seem to stay alive for more than 10 seconds. Kills come all too easy in RO2 I think.

Anyhow. I appreciate the steps the devs have taken to make this game more accessible and accurate in some areas. But I think they went just a tad over board. Just a tad. I'm still really enjoying it. I'm just hoping that when all this Beta chaos is over and the game is finished, I can love it like I did RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, and sorry it's a long read - I didn't realise how much I'd written until I posted it :eek:

The small issues we share can hopefully be 'corrected' with some small tweaks, and I really hope they are fixed because RO2 shows so much potential. They're certainly not game-breakers, but they do spoil the gameplay somewhat :(

it's a precise and deliberate choice of developers to attract a greater mass of new casual consumers, oriented to play in a more arcade way...

Probably the time of the pure realism of RO1 is over

My biggest fear.

Upvote 0
100% Agrees! Personally, I also find the speed your running at to be way to fast.

Plus the speed at wich you change weapons, (going from rifle to pistol) is WAY TOO FAST! I barely change from my rifle to my sidearm with a quick draw holster that fast, and then I DONT have to pull the rifle over my shoulder first. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OK I agree with the post in some parts and not looking to argue about stuff but i have 1 question about the fact that ppl dont like the running , stoping and aiming perfectly .....Well arent they supose to do that? i mean u ppl just state the example of u running or ppl running ...but those were ARMY TRAINED they were suposed to run / march miles and miles and fight . Sure a little workaround like holding breath and after initial "X" seconds u dive of course of the iron sights would be enough . Another perfect example are the Today's Athlets those who ski ,do manovers and then fire the weapon on fix targets .
Personaly i would like the game to remain in 96-98% of how it is , with less bugs of course .

Upvote 0
OK I agree with the post in some parts and not looking to argue about stuff but i have 1 question about the fact that ppl dont like the running , stoping and aiming perfectly .....Well arent they supose to do that? i mean u ppl just state the example of u running or ppl running ...but those were ARMY TRAINED they were suposed to run / march miles and miles and fight . Sure a little workaround like holding breath and after initial "X" seconds u dive of course of the iron sights would be enough . Another perfect example are the Today's Athlets those who ski ,do manovers and then fire the weapon on fix targets .
Personaly i would like the game to remain in 96-98% of how it is , with less bugs of course .

i though they were conscripts. recruited in the masses, given little training on the equipment and thrown on the front lines (russians)

Upvote 0
I wouldnt worry about the time of the RO1 realism being over. There are a few servers running hardcore/realism setups. While they don't have control over things like stamina, the length of the battle and the intensity are what I love from RO1.

I haven't experiened anything like the 1 1/2 hour nightmare of room-to-room street-fighting that was the DH map Berlin, but I choose not to jump to conclusions based off of only playing three maps with most servers only set up for fast paced gameplay.

Upvote 0
However at the same time it's not like when you aim a rifle in reality your hands are swinging about, so I think if anything only a minor increase would be desirable.

No it doesen't, but what does happen is that it gets hard to keep the sights perfectly alligned, they tend to swim around a bit (and much more so when you're fatigued) and go in and out of perfect allignment, and you need to time your shot to when they do.

The visual presentation may be different, but the effect is the same, the end result is that, wether it be a misalligned sight or the gun having swayed off a bit, you're not hitting exactly where you wanted to unless you time your shot (good enough to still hit at point blank, but it can cost you the shot at longer ranges), so whilst the Ro:Ost method may not have nailed the visual presentation propperly, it did get the right results, HoS not so much..

And yeah, the general game speed just seems off, too fast, too rushy and spammy :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A concise and honest analysis from an experienced ROOST player, well said Damo.

There is nothing wrong with catering for all flavours with the new game, however the speed and trinkety bits are not part of what I would evaluate the RO community core values as being.

In this regard we can hope that the hardcore realism version will be more in line with what we wish for.

Time as they say will tell.

Reactions: Damo
Upvote 0