• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Animations and bones in RO2: how do they work?

Eremin

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Hi,
I'd like to know how is the animation system working in RO2. I've opened up several files, such as wp_ger_mp40 or chr_playeranim_master. I've noticed that the weapons reloading animations are stored in the Playeranim thing , while animations of the weapons firing or suffering from recoil are stored in the MP40 package. In addition, the MP40 model has "bones" with various names, like Bullet Charger. I've created a model of a SMG and I wanted to know what role do the bones have and what criteria has to be used in storing the various recoil, firing and reloading animations into the packages. I know how to create animations in 3DS Max 2013, but I found out that bones aren't that necessary. So how does all of this work? How do I use bones for animations? What are the bones for?
And finally, how do I export the animations into the packages and test them with a soldier?
Thanks in advice for the help

I don't have a lot of knowledge about how RO2 do with weapons but I guess you should import multiple weapons and see how they are rigged and make a kind of copy of the bones and make them match your weapon, then you should try making the anims for it and export it with the playeranim bones to see how it works. Sadly I don't know how to make them work in RO2.

Upvote 0
the bones were originally a different rigging System, they are needed for organics such as arms so they can deform, you use helpers for weapon effects, and no bones for the actual weapon, the engine reads the pivot and hiearchy as the bone setup, if you intended to place another weapon on existing Animations, you delete the weapon element and place a weapon where it was, you can either use the skin modifier for the parts of the gun, or detach the weapon parts such as the charging handle or magazine, then link them to the bones, but of course align the pivots to the bones first.. if that makes any sence

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like to know this too. I am making a Suomi M31 Mkb replacement mutator and am still pretty novice at rigging. I was figuring I could rip/modify some of the PPSH animations. But from what I understand, you don't actually animate the weapon, but the player arms. If so, how do I animate the magazine of the gun for reloading?

Still a newbie at this, so bear with me.

Upvote 0
I would like to know this too. I am making a Suomi M31 Mkb replacement mutator and am still pretty novice at rigging. I was figuring I could rip/modify some of the PPSH animations. But from what I understand, you don't actually animate the weapon, but the player arms. If so, how do I animate the magazine of the gun for reloading?

Still a newbie at this, so bear with me.
Your weapon can pretty much use all of the PPSH anims. Why do you want to make new ones? Just rig the weapon using the PPSH as a base and tada.
I did that with my Gewehr 98 rifle, using the MosinNagant as a base. That rifle anims fit mine perfectly.
I can't post a picture because it is for a mod.

Upvote 0
Your weapon can pretty much use all of the PPSH anims. Why do you want to make new ones? Just rig the weapon using the PPSH as a base and tada.
I did that with my Gewehr 98 rifle, using the MosinNagant as a base. That rifle anims fit mine perfectly.
I can't post a picture because it is for a mod.

As in rig the weapon in modeling software with the same bones or is it possible to do something in SDK?

Did you import the mesh and animation into modeling software or..?

Struggling over here with this. More of a coder really but I want to do some proof of concept stuff...

I'd appreciate if you could point me into the right direction might save me some time!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
As in rig the weapon in modeling software with the same bones or is it possible to do something in SDK?

As far as I know, SDK is good for verifying, not creating animation. You can create sockets, but not bones, nor raw animation.

Did you import the mesh and animation into modeling software or..?

In your modelling sofware of choice, import a reference PSK by extracting it from the SDK (gildor's umodel). That way bones and sockets are already properly named. Reassign bodies to the bones, and adjusting the bones to the new model.

Import your new wonder model (FBX) into the SDK.

You can then assign animation within the SDK to your imported model and see if it all works as planned. This may help avoid creating animations yourself, providing the reference model and target function with the same motions (arcs of rotation, offests, linear move distances, etc).

Struggling over here with this. More of a coder really but I want to do some proof of concept stuff...

I'd appreciate if you could point me into the right direction might save me some time!

Thanks!

G'luck. Working on something similar, but not the same, so finding this stuff out as I go. Anything you learn please share.

Last edited:
Upvote 0