• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Add Spawn on SL to Classic

LugNut

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
I'm a die hard Classic fan, although I do play Realism from time to time. I like most of the major components of Classic, but as time has gone on, I've seen the need for Spawn on SL (SoSL) to be added, or at least be a variable for admins to control.

Here's the pros:

1) It enhances squad cohesiveness. Squad play is effectively nonexistent, this would help those who would like to play as a squad keep together.

2) It would expand the importance of the SL role in Classic. Now, it's just smokes and arty, if you could gather your squad around you, you'd have a better shot at leading them.

3) It can change the pace of play. Smart SL's can position themselves to increase pressure on the enemy.

Cons:

1) It can change the pace of play. Smart SL's can position themselves to increase pressure on the enemy.

2) By being able to spawn closer to the action, it reduces the incentive to stay alive. Especially in Classic, where the slower speeds mean a longer time to travel back from spawn.

3) It's a crap shoot. Your SL is crouched behind a wall and you spawn out in the open, right in front of an enemy MG. Whee.

I like the concept of SoSL, but I think it could use refinement. I think it's too available ATM, just position yourself behind almost any piece of cover, pretty close to the action and you're good to go. To keep from it primarily being a way to create an advantageous mobile spawn point closer than the static ones, I'd like to see it only available slightly farther back and in a place of substantial cover. Inside a building, a substantial chunk of ruins, behind a wrecked tank, etc. Big enough that they can spawn next to you, in cover. Make it's primary importance team play, not simply a way to spawn in the midst of a gunfight.

Another concept that would help with the * spawn = insta death * when your SL is in a compromised situation would be able to spec them when you select them as a spawn point. Even if it was just for a few seconds, you'd at least know if it's a wise move to spawn there. I'd like this for all spawn points actually.

Last edited:
+1
I agree with OP.

Without transports, some of the larger maps (unless specifically designed with classic speed/stamina in mind) can get rather tedious getting to the front lines. Though I'd prefer transports, spawning on SL helps.

I play SL quite a bit, and have really seen a willingness of newer players (BF veterans I presume), to spawn on SL and actually take instruction/direction from me. They're willing to learn the game and listen to what more experienced players have to say (if done appropriately) For example if I'm holding the left flank and inform the squad that is what I'm doing, they'll usually work in a positive manner to help the squad.

Spawn on SL is an option for a custom server. So rather than look for strictly classic servers, I'd suggest trying the various custom servers out there and find the ones that have what you like.

Upvote 0
I just don't like how it's implemented--too easy to spawn in enemy fire.

Plus, it adds a contradiction to the SL role. On the one hand, you provide a capping bonus. On the other hand, you have to stay out of the cap to spawn allies, and it's hard to keep track of the spawn timer.

The SL's current responsibilities are smoke, marking artillery, issuing orders, and providing a boost in the capzone. That seems like plenty to me.

I'd like to see the squad system work, but few enough SLs pay attention to spawn on SL in Realism... the cons to me just outweigh the pros.

Upvote 0
Plus, it adds a contradiction to the SL role. On the one hand, you provide a capping bonus. On the other hand, you have to stay out of the cap to spawn allies, and it's hard to keep track of the spawn timer.

Actually, the SL can be inside the zone and still have Squad Mates spawn on him, it's the Squad Mates that spawn OUTSIDE the zone.

Upvote 0
Like spawning/respawning in itself isn't all this? This is just a game we're playing here after all.

The thing is people know roughly when players usually spawn, and they're away from cap zones so people can't exactly get ambushed or shot in the back by freshly spawned enemy. While players may technically appear out of no-where.. in reality, they're still running into the field of play as they did irl.

SL spawn is totally different. People can literally appear out of no-where, right in front, or even behind, other players. And if I'm manning an MG and I'm covering a flank.. and one guy gets past my line of fire. How many have got past? If he was a SL for all I know an entire squad of people have effectively got past me... and they can keep respawning there as long as the SL lives. It rather breaks any sense of immersion, and makes everything feel rather abstract.

What's worst about SL spawn, is that all the attacking maps are balanced for it since everything is balanced around realism. And since the SL spawn benefits the attacking team most... it screws the balance in classic servers. Combined with the slower movement in classic, well... we all know the score, the defenders have a huge advantage.

Upvote 0