• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Activision destroys The Silver Lining

What pisses me off is there is probably no chance Activision will ever do anything more with that IP. All the good things that have happened to older Sierra games (Like the Quest for Glory and other King's Quest remakes) have come completely from the efforts of devoted fans of the series. Go check out ADGInteractive and the work they did for QFG2, Trial By Fire.

If they were protecting the IP because they actually have plans for it, that's one thing. But this is defending the IP on the off-chance they ever want to dev it again.

The only way this could stink worse is if the project was shutdown by the Patent/IP firms that buy rights for the express purpose of fishing litigation.

Upvote 0
Can't remember the last time I played an activision game so I could care less about all this activision debacle the last days. Killing off a fan mod like that is proof they have become evil incarnate.

Schafer's comment is pure truth by the way :D

River Raid, maybe Chopper Command, for me. No! Boxing! Or was it Ice Hockey?

(Actually, no ... it was COD2. I found out about RO from the IW forums back then. :D )

Upvote 0
Yeah, seriously, how much could those devs have honestly wanted? 10K? 20K? Hell, Activision CEOs probably spend more than that on lunch...and would have made a killing (relatively speaking) on sales.

In the last year, it's like Activision/Blizzard is actively contesting the title of "Most heartless, money grubbing publisher" with EA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ACTVI seems hell bent on running the company into the ground. Like Peter.Steele my last Activision game was CoD2. I played that for about 2 weeks. Back then they had the "Get it out the door. We'll patch it later." mentality. It was about that time they started testing the waters of the "Screw what the player wants. They'll take what we give them and like it." ocean. My comment to them then was and still is: "Their player base will one day be their stockholders."

With a PE of 126 and a languishing stock price after a "major blockbuster" title release tells me that the turkeys may have finally come home to RO:OST (pardon the pun :p ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cause people these days are pussies, plain and simple. in the old days, people who felt strongly against something actually boycotted, revolted, emmigrated, did SOMETHING and could actually accomplished something. today, people ***** and whine but then most all eventually give in. like omar's example with MW2. i also knew a bunch of people that complained about the lack of dedicated servers, and after 2 weeks post-release, they all bought the game anyway and are playing it nearly everyday.

in the post modern world, most people just talk and never have the actions to back it up. sad reality.

Upvote 0
I've just come to the point, after almost 20 years of gaming, where there is no game that I *absolutely* must have. Sure, every gamer has their breaking point for features/drm/ect... that makes the choose to not buy a title they really want to. Like if installing the game gave the lead dev or publishing exec the right to bang your mom.

But now even games that I want have to qualify for a lack of BS, on the technical side, the gameplay side and the MARKETING side.

Getting into, through and over WoW changed my perception of gaming. It's not like my first MMO or anything..but it was the first one where I actually felt like I was being pandered to and exploited at the same time.

Since then I've started viewing all gaming with a much more cynical attitude. Games have to rise above the general level of mediocrity, shallowness and publisher BS that is rampant in the market now. It used to be that games had to SINK that low...now most have to prove they can rise above the BS before they get my dollar.

Which is why I've been on a total indy game kick for probably 3 months now. I'd rather give my money to fledgling developers who will put that money to awesome use....than pour it into a bottomless, reeking cesspit of ****ty games, ****ty concepts, ****ty marketing and god-awful-****ty gaming ethics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0